Week 5: VIKINGS (2-2) at Bears (1-3)

swede700

Vikings safety Harrison Smith received an overall grade of 90.2 from Pro Football Focus, which noted effectiveness against the run and an impressive performance against the pass. PFF counted four passes thrown into Smith’s coverage, and the only one caught by a Bears player (Tarik Cohen) lost three yards. Smith then provided the clutch interception with the score tied at 17 and 2:20 remaining in the game.

Pro Football Focus also noted the respect factor by the Bears toward Xavier Rhodes, who was not targeted a single time for the first time in 64 career games. PFF calculated that Rhodes was targeted 24 times in the first four games of the season and allowed 12 receptions for 126 yards.

http://www.vikings.com/news/article-1/Stats-That-Stood-Out-Vikings-Bears/9cddcf25-6fcb-42d8-ba58-3b243caca848?sf120752808=1

I'm surprised his grade is that high. Yes the int was clutch and sealed the game, but the 2 pt conversion was a direct result of him not touching a single player. The rest of the defense did exactly what they should have done, but he watched the play happen in front of him.

15 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Convinciningly? They lost by 7 points. I wouldn’t call any game where a team loses by a touchdown a convincing loss. The Lions looked pretty bad against the Vikings, the Vikings simply didn’t capitalize on their opportunities, whereas the Lions did. 

And the Bears has to pull out all of the tricks to score their points. I wouldn’t say they looked hungry at all. 

Once the Lions took the lead 7 minutes into the 2nd Half, the Vikings never looked like they were going to win. And you rarely win a game when you lose three fumbles and the other team does not turn it over.

In the Bears game, the Bears outplayed the Vikings on both sides of the ball in the 1st Half, but got burned by a couple of borderline penalties. The Vikings played better in the 2nd Half.

2 minutes ago, milanb said:

Once the Lions took the lead 7 minutes into the 2nd Half, the Vikings never looked like they were going to win. And you rarely win a game when you lose three fumbles and the other team does not turn it over.

In the Bears game, the Bears outplayed the Vikings on both sides of the ball in the 1st Half, but got burned by a couple of borderline penalties. The Vikings played better in the 2nd Half.

If Keenum started, I don't think the game would have been as close as it was. Bradford was that bad and gave the appearance that the Bears were outplaying the Vikes early on. If Keenum starts, I think we're up 10 at the half.

1 minute ago, JDBrocks said:

It what sense did the Bears offense outplay the Vikings defense with a grand total of 0 offensive points scored in the first half?

They had a couple of big plays called back due to penalties, one of them for a TD. Not saying they were bad calls, just that they were kind of borderline.

Anyway, my point was that the Vikings overall did not match the intensity level of their opponents the past couple of games. I think that's a fair assessment.

You know, the more I think about this game, the more positive I feel about our team. 

Even when the Bears pulled some 4 leaf clovers out of their pocket, on several plays, we still had more than enough talent to win the game out. To me, that's truly the mark of a great team. Not in winning every game you play, but being 'shapeless' as to how you defeat those opponents. Not relying on one player or one aspect of your team to win it all each and every week.  

Archived