College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

To add to this, I think we HAVE built a culture.

This team plays HARD for Stefanski and they show resiliency (see: all the Covid and injury issues and us being within 1 possession in those games)...which is why Monday night on offense was so disappointing.

This team is PHYSICAL on both sides of the ball (mauling run game, heavy TE usage, and we TACKLE WELL everywhere).

That's a first since Bill Belichick that either of those have been true, let alone both.

I think accountability could improve (the penalties are BAD).

The game planning could be better (Hats off to Joe Woods down the stretch, the dude balled out and seemed to have figured it out, I couldn't have been more wrong on him)

I think they fail at keeping things in house and conducting themselves like professionals at times.

Mayfield needs to learn to say less at times.  Someone needs to have him watch Bull Durham or some ish. Being honest and open and speaking your mind is good, until it starts to wear on people.  You’ve got to know how to pick your moments.

Garrett was guilty of it too.

OBJ obv.

The penalties are bad, and they’re not improving. Some stuff is just going to happen (holding, PI) but some stuff is inexcusable (formation penalties, unsportsmanlike penalties, encroachment). Way too many free yards, extra chances and drives being killed because of this stuff.

• Like 1

I’m not saying this guy is the best in his class, but if Stef wants a Cousins pocket passer type:

Carson Strong of Nevada fits the mold. He’s similar to Drew Bledsoe. He’s got a f$&@ing cannon for an arm and wins in the pocket. He has to make a lot of presnap reads and audibles.

He’s not athletic at all though.

4 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m not saying this guy is the best in his class, but if Stef wants a Cousins pocket passer type:

Carson Strong of Nevada fits the mold. He’s similar to Drew Bledsoe. He’s got a f$&@ing cannon for an arm and wins in the pocket. He has to make a lot of presnap reads and audibles.

He’s not athletic at all though.

Just a hunch, but he’s QB1 come April.  Wouldn’t shock me to see him go in the first.

24 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Just a hunch, but he’s QB1 come April.  Wouldn’t shock me to see him go in the first.

There’s too much priority placed on athleticism.

He’s a pocket passer who makes reads and audibles. That means he’s mentally ahead of 99% of college QBs.

Not sure what order these guys will go in, but I would venture to guess, that 1 or more will be available when we pick in the 1st.  If it happens to be the guy that they like most, then sure...pull the trigger!  I can't say that I have looked at these guys enough to formulate an opinion, and it's not the way that I would go at this time!  Give Baker one more year to sink or swim, unless you plan on going the vet route.

1  Carson Strong

2 Kenny Pickett

3. Malik Willis

4 Matt Corral

5.  Sam Howell

39 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

There’s too much priority placed on athleticism.

He’s a pocket passer who makes reads and audibles. That means he’s mentally ahead of 99% of college QBs.

I like guys who can move.  If they wanted to go all in on mobile guys like the Ravens and build the whole offense around it, cool.

That said, dudes who know what they’re doing in the pocket will always be able to win games.

I think he’s a good option if they keep Baker for another year.  Nevada to the NFL is a huge jump and I would like to see any rookie brought along slowly.

9 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I like guys who can move.  If they wanted to go all in on mobile guys like the Ravens and build the whole offense around it, cool.

That said, dudes who know what they’re doing in the pocket will always be able to win games.

I think he’s a good option if they keep Baker for another year.  Nevada to the NFL is a huge jump and I would like to see any rookie brought along slowly.

There's no coincidence that, for the most part with a few obvious outliers (TB12), the best QB's in the league have some major athletic ability to extend plays in the pocket (and TB12 is elite at navigating the pocket, I will go to my grave on that), outside the pocket, and in the boot game.

See:

Mahomes

Rodgers

Herbert

Josh Allen

Watson (YUCK)

Dak

Kyler Murray

Russell Wilson (historically)

Younger Big Ben (yuck)

24 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

There's no coincidence that, for the most part with a few obvious outliers (TB12), the best QB's in the league have some major athletic ability to extend plays in the pocket (and TB12 is elite at navigating the pocket, I will go to my grave on that), outside the pocket, and in the boot game.

See:

Mahomes

Rodgers

Herbert

Josh Allen

Watson (YUCK)

Dak

Kyler Murray

Russell Wilson (historically)

Younger Big Ben (yuck)

I don’t disagree. 

Much of this is because defenses are so fast and able to get to a predetermined spot.

I think this has been a lot of why Baker has floundered too fwiw.  It’s like we just stopped rolling out, boots, etc.  

12 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t disagree. 

Much of this is because defenses are so fast and able to get to a predetermined spot.

I think this has been a lot of why Baker has floundered too fwiw.  It’s like we just stopped rolling out, boots, etc.  

I agree. His injuries also unfortunately made booting impossible, and his decision making on booting has been bad. Even that INT he had the crosser wide open and opted for the deep sideline route instead of the intermediate one.

12 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I agree. His injuries also unfortunately made booting impossible, and his decision making on booting has been bad. Even that INT he had the crosser wide open and opted for the deep sideline route instead of the intermediate one.

Yeah that was a rough one to watch.  Like, what are you doing man?!?

• Like 1