College Football and Draft Discussion 2024

candyman93

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I'm going to go ahead and say it, this front 7 could be the Goat when it's all said and done. Think about this, this doesn't even include Adam Anderson who would have been at the very worst a top 10 pick in addition to Jalen Carter who I feel was better than Jordan Davis. I'm not sure if I've seen this good of a front 7 ever

Two things:

- If he went to FSU or OSU he would be a top 10 pick 

- He could end up being the best WR in this class when its all said and done 

- I would be perfectly fine if he was the first WR we selected 

I mean I dont really disagree at all about watkins

16 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It's tough to gauge all of that, no doubt, and scheme absolutely plays a role. I'd personally argue that with UGA playing a 3-4, many of them saw double teams throughout college.

That’s fair.

Walker concerns me only in that he never really was asked to rush the passer, but I'd argue that's more scheme instead of production.

Agreed. I just see an and that is 100% what the NFL wants.  Inside/outside versatility, able to play the run well and the athleticism to project to a high level pass rusher.

Davis concerns me because he's massive and that's literally the only reason is historical big men his size in the league with interior pass rush are an outlier as opposed to the norm.

yeah he’s just such an anomaly he’s hard to evaluate. Athletically he’s one of the biggest freaks ever, but his production has never matched the raw numbers.

I don’t see him completely busting if he stays healthy, but anything from a solid 2 down run stuffer to the best DT in the league wouldn’t surprise me.

And Wyatt played beside Davis and was freed up to dominate more.

And you’d think this makes him the Pip, but he’s a damned freak too lol.

7 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

That’s fair.

And to be frank, this is a "concern" for Dean as well. What linebacker wouldn't excel with those 3 monsters inside taking up lanes? I still have him as my LB #1, but it's not quite as cut and dry as some would like to think, especially given his smaller stature.

Agreed. I just see an and that is 100% what the NFL wants.  Inside/outside versatility, able to play the run well and the athleticism to project to a high level pass rusher.

I actually think he reminds me a lot of Clowney. He's an absolute FORCE against the run with major swing inside ability on third down, but he may not be that "freak pass rusher" that he could be. That said, I like his floor the most of any DL in the draft for that reason. Scheme versatility on even/odd fronts and massive potential. Worst case scenario he's a dominant run defender and capable/average NFL starter barring injury or off the field stuff that could happen with literally anyone.

yeah he’s just such an anomaly he’s hard to evaluate. Athletically he’s one of the biggest freaks ever, but his production has never matched the raw numbers. I don’t see him completely busting if he stays healthy, but anything from a solid 2 down run stuffer to the best DT in the league wouldn’t surprise me.

I just hate drafting 1 techs or DT in the first because their ability to rush the passer is almost impossible to project, and therefore their subsequent value takes a hit.

And you’d think this makes him the Pip, but he’s a damned freak too lol.

What's funny is that he was my favorite of the bunch for us based upon tape. He's a disruptive 3 tech, and with our scheme, he's my "best fit" for us because we need an interior disruptive guy. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

And to be frank, this is a "concern" for Dean as well. What linebacker wouldn't excel with those 3 monsters inside taking up lanes? I still have him as my LB #1, but it's not quite as cut and dry as some would like to think, especially given his smaller stature.

I actually think he reminds me a lot of Clowney. He's an absolute FORCE against the run with major swing inside ability on third down, but he may not be that "freak pass rusher" that he could be. That said, I like his floor the most of any DL in the draft for that reason. Scheme versatility on even/odd fronts and massive potential. Worst case scenario he's a dominant run defender and capable/average NFL starter barring injury or off the field stuff that could happen with literally anyone.

I just hate drafting 1 techs or DT in the first because their ability to rush the passer is almost impossible to project, and therefore their subsequent value takes a hit.

What's funny is that he was my favorite of the bunch for us based upon tape. He's a disruptive 3 tech, and with our scheme, he's my "best fit" for us because we need an interior disruptive guy. 

His first step is very impressive for his size

25 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

100% Agreed, but also, it doesn't make sense to draft him if we have Clowney unless we use him a lot as an under tackle, which would be a tremendous front IMO

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

100% Agreed, but also, it doesn't make sense to draft him if we have Clowney unless we use him a lot as an under tackle, which would be a tremendous front IMO

I feel like there’s always room for a guy like Clowney on a DL.

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I completely agree, or unless you wanted to go back and forth between an odd and even front. Imagine an even front pass rush situation with Clowney, McDowell, Myles, and him, and an odd front with Myles as an OLB, those 2 as 5 Tech/4I DE, and someone who is a stout NT in the middle as a 2 gap guy. 

35 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Malik Jackson for Jordan Davis let me dream

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

I completely agree, or unless you wanted to go back and forth between an odd and even front. Imagine an even front pass rush situation with Clowney, McDowell, Myles, and him, and an odd front with Myles as an OLB, those 2 as 5 Tech/4I DE, and someone who is a stout NT in the middle as a 2 gap guy. 

Man, that would be so physically imposing, a front. And I know its a grey area but a year 2 McDowell (if we retain him) should be even better. That is the type of front that will get teams off the field on 3rd down...

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Man, that would be so physically imposing, a front. And I know its a grey area but a year 2 McDowell (if we retain him) should be even better. That is the type of front that will get teams off the field on 3rd down...

Excellent point.

18 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

Especially with our "not blitzing" philosophy. Quite the "Nascar" package...not to mention even getting to 3rd and long against the run.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Especially with our "not blitzing" philosophy. Quite the "Nascar" package...not to mention even getting to 3rd and long against the run.

That a great point, this is a base front in a pinch capable to stop the run in case a team tried to catch us against the run. I think this is what Andrew Berry was saying about being positionless.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

That a great point, this is a base front in a pinch capable to stop the run in case a team tried to catch us against the run. I think this is what Andrew Berry was saying about being positionless.

No doubt. You'd basically have a couple of "3 techs" inside in this situation and honestly almost a 4th playing a 5 Tech setting the EDGE as well.

You may be hurting if you went "heavy" personnel with a FB, but then in which case that personnel group isn't on the field anyway in that situation.

• Like 1