What movie are you watching?

Forge

4 hours ago, MacReady said:

The scene that always stayed with me was Bernadette Peters and her impeccable comedic timing in this scene.

In a move full of lol moments, her, "1...2...THREE... 4 5 6!" is a line I quote all the time.

I am not a huge Steve Martin fan and his overall career track record of films is kind of lacking, but I would say this is the funniest scene in the film

14 hours ago, Malfatron said:

The Jerk.

Top 3 comedy all time

No way, it does not hold up over time and is not consistently funny.  Sure there are funny scenes but at times it really drags on with a bunch of just ehhh comedy.  Not to mention can one watch it over and over again?  I sure the heck cannot.  

If one is just talking Steve Martin, Planes, Trains & Automobiles is a much funnier film and it is mostly funny because of John Candy who has a far superior comedy track record compared to Steve Martin in regards to film.  John Candy was in Cool Runnings, Canadian Bacon, Uncle Buck, Stripes, Space Balls etc  

To me these comedies are much better than The Jerk.  But depending on your age I guess maybe The Jerk is the funniest thing you have ever seen.  Not consistent enough laughs for me.  

*Dumb and Dumber
*Step Brothers
*Tommy Boy
*Napolean Dynamite
*Superbad
*Caddyshack
*Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
*Happy Gilmore
*Coming To America
*Kingpin

6 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I am not a huge Steve Martin fan and his overall career track record of films is kind of lacking, but I would say this is the funniest scene in the film

No way, it does not hold up over time and is not consistently funny.  Sure there are funny scenes but at times it really drags on with a bunch of just ehhh comedy.  Not to mention can one watch it over and over again?  I sure the heck cannot.  

If one is just talking Steve Martin, Planes, Trains & Automobiles is a much funnier film and it is mostly funny because of John Candy who has a far superior comedy track record compared to Steve Martin in regards to film.  John Candy was in Cool Runnings, Canadian Bacon, Uncle Buck, Stripes, Space Balls etc  

To me these comedies are much better than The Jerk.  But depending on your age I guess maybe The Jerk is the funniest thing you have ever seen.  Not consistent enough laughs for me.  

*Dumb and Dumber
*Step Brothers
*Tommy Boy
*Napolean Dynamite
*Superbad
*Caddyshack
*Planes, Trains & Automobiles (1987)
*Happy Gilmore
*Coming To America
*Kingpin

Shameful that Wet Hot American Summer and Freddy Got Fingered are missing from your list

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

Shameful that Wet Hot American Summer and Freddy Got Fingered are missing from your list

It is not a complete list, to me that is my top 10.  Wet Hot American Summer is on my list all time but ultimately there are only a few funny scenes in that one.

This is the funniest scene in that film for me, was not wildly consistent though in the laughs.

As for Freddy, just because something is odd and weird does not make it greatly funny.  At times Tom Green is funny but he is basically the same thing and the same dude in anything he was in and even that is very little.  

Just now, Ozzy said:

As for Freddy, just because something is odd and weird does not make it greatly funny. 

You are definitely missing the point of this movie then. Its essentially a satire of the grossout comdies that sprung up after theres something about mary in the late 90s

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

You are definitely missing the point of this movie then. Its essentially a satire of the grossout comdies that sprung up after theres something about mary in the late 90s

There's Something About Mary is a top 20 comedy all time no question and goes far beyond just a "grossout" comedy, what Kingpin is a grossout comedy because of a few jokes they had in it?

Fact is there is a reason no one watched Freddy Got Fingered, no one remembers even if they watched it and few if any even wasted the time to watch it twice.    

Yeah sure people will try and copy what the Farrelly brothers did specifically Peter Farrelly who is one of the funniest writer/directors of all time.  Dumb and Dumber, Kingpin, There's Something about Mary, Hall Pass, Fever Pitch, Shallow Hal and Green Book which is surprisingly funny and glad he got noticied by winning Oscars finally for it.  Sure Green Book was not a true comedy but there are easily 10 or more scenes in that film that are pretty damn funny especially in regards to just one liners alone.  

hypnotic-2023-review-1200x720.jpg

Hypnotic has a cool concept and gets surprisingly more ambitious as it progresses but it ultimately derailed by a really bad script (the dialogue is awful) which is too bad bcuz visually it looks spectacular.  Rodriguez is a very talented director but he should’ve let Ben rewrite the script.  

10 hours ago, Ozzy said:

There's Something About Mary is a top 20 comedy all time no question and goes far beyond just a "grossout" comedy, what Kingpin is a grossout comedy because of a few jokes they had in it?

Fact is there is a reason no one watched Freddy Got Fingered, no one remembers even if they watched it and few if any even wasted the time to watch it twice.    

Yeah sure people will try and copy what the Farrelly brothers did specifically Peter Farrelly who is one of the funniest writer/directors of all time.  Dumb and Dumber, Kingpin, There's Something about Mary, Hall Pass, Fever Pitch, Shallow Hal and Green Book which is surprisingly funny and glad he got noticied by winning Oscars finally for it.  Sure Green Book was not a true comedy but there are easily 10 or more scenes in that film that are pretty damn funny especially in regards to just one liners alone.  

It seems like you like punchline style humor, which is fine, but to give you some perspective, my favorite thing is On Cinema at the Cinema

19 hours ago, thrILL! said:

hypnotic-2023-review-1200x720.jpg

Hypnotic has a cool concept and gets surprisingly more ambitious as it progresses but it ultimately derailed by a really bad script (the dialogue is awful) which is too bad bcuz visually it looks spectacular.  Rodriguez is a very talented director but he should’ve let Ben rewrite the script.  

You get what you get with Robert Rodriguez 

• Like 1

MV5BMTcyNTAxOTg4NV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMTMw

tbh I didn’t realize that Jason Reitman (Up In The Air, Thank You For Smoking) directed this but I finally got around to seeing it.  I vaguely remember this scandal as a kid but had no context of what it meant at the the time or that he was on the fast track to being the next President.  Too bad he couldn’t keep it in his pants bcuz he was a brass tacks guy all the way which would’ve been refreshing as CiC.  Also, JK Simmons in amazing in damn near everything he touches. 

15 hours ago, Malfatron said:

It seems like you like punchline style humor, which is fine, but to give you some perspective, my favorite thing is On Cinema at the Cinema

If one wants dry satire humor about movies and Hollywood there is only one place to go, Between Two Ferns is far superior in every way to those two who are funny but not laugh out loud funny, more just chuckle under your breath funny.  

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

If one wants dry satire humor about movies and Hollywood there is only one place to go, Between Two Ferns is far superior in every way to those two who are funny but not laugh out loud funny, more just chuckle under your breath funny.  

I enjoy "between two ferns" but its not particulary memorable, immersive, and rewatchable like the On Cinema Universe

31 minutes ago, Malfatron said:

I enjoy "between two ferns" but its not particulary memorable, immersive, and rewatchable like the On Cinema Universe

"Disagree to disagree."

That is a quote from your On Cinema boys, is that funny....yeah ehhh  

Oppenheimer was great.  The first 2/3s was great, had a real good flow.  The last hour I did start to feel the run time.  Christopher Nolan as always directs very well, and his movies are always worth seeing on the big screen.  Worth a re watch, just not right away.  My #1 movie so far this year 10/10

I'm predicting this movie will be nominated for best picture, director and sound(I'm likely stating the obvious)