The way too early do over

LionArkie

We've seen two games and most don't like what they see.  Some are still holding out hope.  With this being said, as of the beginning of week 3, if you could do a do-over draft would you have drafted Okudah still or would you have gone after Tua?  Would you have done something completely different?

This has nothing to do with Okudah's game play Sunday. I still think he is going to be a fine pro and is not scheme specific. So he will be fine no matter the regime.  This more has to do with drafting with hindsight. You are not Quinn and we are not playing "how to save Quinn's job and how he would pick to do so". What would you do in a do-over role based on what you have seen so far this year?

Personally, I think I would have drafted Tua sat him on the bench for the entire year and tanked this season.  If I absolutely knew I could get Trevor Lawrence this year, I'd go for Lawrence instead and drafted either Kinlaw or Brown (although I don't think Brown is going to be as dominant) at DT. Becton would have also been in the conversation.

Edited by LionArkie

34 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

I would have done a lot more to try to get Chase Young or to trade down. 

What would you have been willing to give up to get Young? Would this help or hinder a future coaching staff, assuming that we would probably still be sitting at 0-2 with him on the roster. 

1 hour ago, Karnage84 said:

What would you have been willing to give up to get Young? Would this help or hinder a future coaching staff, assuming that we would probably still be sitting at 0-2 with him on the roster. 

I thought the do over let me fire Quintricia like I wanted too.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Karnage84 said:

So who would you have hired this past off-season and what would you have given up to get Young?

He's the GM and he is deciding what to do with no outside interference and we are going to give him 3-5 years to turn crap around. 5 years for getting the team to project correctly, 3 years if it trends poorly. It begins with last years draft.

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

He's the GM and he is deciding what to do with no outside interference and we are going to give him 3-5 years to turn crap around. 5 years for getting the team to project correctly, 3 years if it trends poorly. It begins with last years draft.

Just now, LionArkie said:

And hindsight is completely valid...because second guessing is fun.

We would need a coach and that does have an impact on scheme. Since @Nnivolcm is firing Patricia, we would need to hire a new coach in this process. In order to trade up to get Chase Young, we would also have to be willing to give up current (2020 pre-draft) assets and future assets (2021+). 

I'm totally cool with the premise but just asking what his direction would be. 

• Like 1

There are a lot of good coaching candidates (I really like what Roman has built on offense in several of his stops, and Bieniemy has KC's offense looking good) but I, unfortunately, don't have the ability to interview any of them. Saying any one of them would be my choice would be basing that decision on incomplete information. 

Edit: Also, who knows if any of the candidates I would want would want to work for this mess the Ford's created. 

Edited by Nnivolcm

1 minute ago, LionArkie said:

@Nnivolcm I am interested in what you would be willing to give up for young?  As looking at it now, he is the real deal, and Washington believed it to be so and wanted a kings ransom for him last year.

I don't have an exact answer for that as I'm getting ready for work, but my general answer is: a lot.

If Washington wanted too much I would have traded down.

Edited by Nnivolcm
  • Like 1

Chasing the Young idea, if we were to give up our #1 and Stafford, it would set us up to suck this year and put us in the Trevor Lawrence sweep stakes. Although, I feel like it might be way to much to give up, I would consider it. Especially seeing how this season is turning out.

Edited by LionArkie

20 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

There are a lot of good coaching candidates (I really like what Roman has built on offense in several of his stops, and Bieniemy has KC's offense looking good) but I, unfortunately, don't have the ability to interview any of them. Saying any one of them would be my choice would be basing that decision on incomplete information. 

Edit: Also, who knows if any of the candidates I would want would want to work for this mess the Ford's created. 

Especially if they could get fired after two years with the most recent year having lost their franchise QB halfway through the season. It would be hard to attract good quality candidates with such a quick hook. 

Had the 49ers taken the same approach, they would have fired Shanahan and not have had last years 13-3 + SB appearance.