Week 5 GDT: Tennessee Titans(2-2) @ Miami Dolphins(1-2)

TitanLegend

Who wins the game?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins the game?

• Tennessee Titans
    • Matt Cassel
    • All of the above

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/08/2017 at 05:00 PM

7 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I wonder what caused this myth. Was just a couple seasons ago that the superbowl champion suffered a similar loss in the exact same week of the season. Pats lost 41-14. They were also 2-2. They also had people massively overreacting, wondering if Brady was done, wondering if Belichick was ever going to win another superbowl(he hadn't won one since 2004, speculation at the time was they were only winning so much because their division was always garbage and Brady was keeping them afloat, and now that Brady was "struggling" people thought the entire thing was collapsing in New England)

And if Mariota never gets hurt the final score is no where near as ugly as 57-14 or whatever the hell it was. We were moving the ball at will on our previous two drives with Mariota healthy.

People need to just settle down.

As bad as that loss is, we lost 2-3 possessions worse than that. It's a sign that we are nowhere near as complete as we hoped to be.

8 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

I wonder what caused this myth. Was just a couple seasons ago that the superbowl champion suffered a similar loss in the exact same week of the season. Pats lost 41-14. They were also 2-2. They also had people massively overreacting, wondering if Brady was done, wondering if Belichick was ever going to win another superbowl(he hadn't won one since 2004, speculation at the time was they were only winning so much because their division was always garbage and Brady was keeping them afloat, and now that Brady was "struggling" people thought the entire thing was collapsing in New England)

And if Mariota never gets hurt the final score is no where near as ugly as 57-14 or whatever the hell it was. We were moving the ball at will on our previous two drives with Mariota healthy.

People need to just settle down.

I agree. I think it would have been more 43-28, 38-24 something like that.  I think Marcus would have lead us for at least 2 more scoring drives. Whether those been TDs or FGs.  Still would have been a bad lost, but I don't think he would have turned it over 3 more times like Cassel (leading to 3 more TDs for the Texans).

20 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

As bad as that loss is, we lost 2-3 possessions worse than that. It's a sign that we are nowhere near as complete as we hoped to be.

Yeah, and that was in large part because we had to throw our backup QB in to the fire whose 3 turnovers led to points for the Texans, points they most likely don't get with Mariota playing.

29 times in the past 10 years a conference championship participant has lost by 20+ points.

We destroyed the Packers last year, they went to the NFC title game. Their defense looked about as bad as ours did vs the Texans, the only reason we didn't beat them by 50 is because Aaron Rodgers is as good as he is.

It's more than fair to say that there's a chance the Titans suck and we end up with a losing record and everything just goes down the drain. That can happen to any team. The 2016 5-0 Vikings finished 8-8 last year. The year before that the 2015 5-0 Falcons finished 8-8.

Lord knows we can take a 2-2 start and finish worse than that.

But the entire point is one game(or even as those two teams proved, 5 games) means nothing.

Hell can even look at Titans history and see that. In 2002 we started 1-4 and finished 11-5.

Or even just last season starting 1-3. I don't think anyone on this forum after those 4 games was saying we were going to go on and go 8-4 to finish the season with wins over teams like Green Bay, Kansas City and Denver.

It's a single game in the first quarter of the season. Take a deep breath. It's a long season.

I'm not saying starting off 2-2 is a sky is falling scenario. I'm saying we lost by 43 points to a rookie quarterback on a team that was supposed to be an AFC contender. We're not talking about losing by 20+ points, we almost lost by 50. If the score was 34-14, I'd be mad, but not demoralized. As far as last week goes, it was only one loss. We all knew we weren't going 15-1, so that's not the problem. It's that we lost by over 40 points to a rookie QB. The majority of the bad losses people keep posting the team didn't even give up 43 points. It is a condemning loss. I'm not saying the Titans will suck the rest of the year or even finish below .500. 

I understand that we will win quite a few more games, because I think we actually have a pretty good roster. I have just lost hope in being anything more than a team who does just enough to get our hopes up only to fail when it matters until we have a new coaching staff. Mularkey did a really good job last year, but he has a ceiling and he was already ducking so he wouldn't hit his head.

Anyone buy in to the "conspiracy theory" that Mariota really wasn't hurt(not seriously, anyway) and it's just another DeMarco Murray-esque situation(coaches decision to not play 2nd half vs Jags, didn't even practice until a limited practice on the Friday before the Seahawks game, was obviously fine vs Seahawks)?

After hurting the hamstring, he went out and played on it when he threw the pick. Then even after that, he went out and took the knee. Then came out to play the 2nd half, but Mularkey told him no(Mularkey himself has said this, meaning Mariota didn't want to sit through the injury) and had pretty much given up on the game/told him there was plenty of season left.

Murray didn't even practice on Wednesday before the Seahawks game, and was only limited on the Friday, and still started/played a huge role. Mularkey has already said Mariota's hamstring is similar to Murray's and not Davis/Cyprien's, and if Murray's play was any indication he didn't have much of an injury.

Mariota threw on Wednesday and anyone who knows anything about the QB position knows your legs and footwork play a huge part on throwing the ball. They were comfortable enough with his hamstring to let him do that.

Could just be a case of Mularkey trying to make Miami gameplan for two entirely different quarterbacks and gameplans. Gase, who is known to be blunt with the media so I'm not sure how much of this is just coach speak, said trying to prepare for both is difficult.

Could be just looking too much in to it, but it's interesting none the less.

6 hours ago, TitanLegend said:

Anyone buy in to the "conspiracy theory" that Mariota really wasn't hurt(not seriously, anyway) and it's just another DeMarco Murray-esque situation(coaches decision to not play 2nd half vs Jags, didn't even practice until a limited practice on the Friday before the Seahawks game, was obviously fine vs Seahawks)?

After hurting the hamstring, he went out and played on it when he threw the pick. Then even after that, he went out and took the knee. Then came out to play the 2nd half, but Mularkey told him no(Mularkey himself has said this, meaning Mariota didn't want to sit through the injury) and had pretty much given up on the game/told him there was plenty of season left.

Murray didn't even practice on Wednesday before the Seahawks game, and was only limited on the Friday, and still started/played a huge role. Mularkey has already said Mariota's hamstring is similar to Murray's and not Davis/Cyprien's, and if Murray's play was any indication he didn't have much of an injury.

Mariota threw on Wednesday and anyone who knows anything about the QB position knows your legs and footwork play a huge part on throwing the ball. They were comfortable enough with his hamstring to let him do that.

Could just be a case of Mularkey trying to make Miami gameplan for two entirely different quarterbacks and gameplans. Gase, who is known to be blunt with the media so I'm not sure how much of this is just coach speak, said trying to prepare for both is difficult.

Could be just looking too much in to it, but it's interesting none the less.

Does a team game plan against Matt Cassell though?

Mariota can throw without pain but will have to show he can move around to play? Cassell is healthy and can’t move around when he plays I’d still play Marcus with limited mobility. I trust this o-line to stand up for Marcus and help him become a pocket passer on Sun and could still be good enough to win 

From Jim Wyatt's article:

Cassel is in line to start if Mariota can’t go. Mularkey said it was “positive” that Mariota didn’t have a setback following Wednesday’s practice, when he was also limited. Mariota isn’t dealing with pain, according to Mularkey.

“I think that has a lot to do with him being smart and what he is doing with the training staff, and just realizing it’s Wednesday and Thursday still,” Mularkey said. “We have some time.

“He will definitely have to show (he can move around).”

http://www.titansonline.com/news/article-4/Titans-QB-Marcus-Mariota-“Did-a-Little-More”-on-Thursday/33007919-2ccf-4140-9f47-f3148bc6be06

Archived