NFL Bubble?

NYRaider

Could it work?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Would a bubble like format work in the NFL?

• Yes
    • No

We had a topic on this before the season started:

A few sites were thrown out, but it was a challenge for sure. MAYBE four different sites aligned based on conference (AFCE/NFCE, AFCS/NFCS, etc) but that would still be difficult.

• Like 1

Aa far as what to do RIGHT NOW - is it too late to give every team an additional THREE bye weeks? I think every four weeks of football should have a "makeup week" as a 5th week to drop all necessary makeup games into. In essence, the Pitt/Tenn and Chiefs/Patriots would be scheduled for this bye, and everyone else gets that week off. 

38 minutes ago, ET80 said:

NFL teams have coaches trainers and medical staff - all of which are significantly bigger on NFL teams (I've never heard of a PF Coach or a PG Coach, but I know every team has an OL coach and a QB coach...)

Even if you account for ancillary staff, Football has a ton more patrolling the sideline than the NBA has courtside.

I've said it before, but putting the entire NFL in a bubble represents housing about 10,000 people - players, PS/Taxi players, coaches, medical staff, etc. This isn't factoring in ref crews, TV crews, etc... Then you have to find people to service this psuedo community (prepare food, housekeeping, maintenance, etc). And housing people is the EASY part, as you'd have to find a place where you can play multiple games within proximity of the housing areas. Disney Wide World of Sports had 10+ basketball courts to leverage to where players didn't have to get on a bus or leave too far. Where can you find a place with that many Football fields to play? 

You missed my point. He included 100 people for the NFL, he’s INCLUDING the NFL’s full contingent while discluding the NBA’s full contingent.

15 to 100 vs what’s really more like roughly to 30 to 100. Maybe 110. So we’re talking a different of 6.7x vs 3.7x size at max.

The NFL is looking at roughly 55 player roster (considering promotion), 16 coaches (on average), 30 allotted members of medical/training staff.

The NBA has 12-15 player rosters, 8 members of training staff, 5-7 coaches, and at least one team doctor present at each game. Not to mention possible physicians on a fellowship working with the team doctors.

edit: This all matters when talking bubbles. The NBA did one bubble location for 22 teams. Now with a bubble we’re talking roughly 660 team staff accounted for.

So now we know if the NFL is doing a bubble concept they might want to break their bubble into nothing much bigger than this size, as we know it has worked.

So now we have an apples to apples comparison vs things that aren’t even remotely comparable.

Edited by diamondbull424

40 minutes ago, ET80 said:

We had a topic on this before the season started:

A few sites were thrown out, but it was a challenge for sure. MAYBE four different sites aligned based on conference (AFCE/NFCE, AFCS/NFCS, etc) but that would still be difficult.

Yup. Excellent thread.

28 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Aa far as what to do RIGHT NOW - is it too late to give every team an additional THREE bye weeks? I think every four weeks of football should have a "makeup week" as a 5th week to drop all necessary makeup games into. In essence, the Pitt/Tenn and Chiefs/Patriots would be scheduled for this bye, and everyone else gets that week off. 

I think if they wanted to do it now. They could still go with some of the ideas we ushered in that thread.

I’m not sure if my proposed idea is still viable as I’m guessing they don’t perfectly schedule every team to play divisional, conference, and non-conference games perfectly each week.

So with the season being what it’s been. I think if they proceeded I would still go with the idea of placing teams into divisional bubbles with another division. AFCN with AFCS for instance. Divisions play their games and then they play the non division opponents. Then finish with the rest of the divisional games. This would be 10 games. Tie breakers determined based on average gap of victory.

Consider we’ve gone 4 weeks, that would give us 14 games. Surely enough to start eliminating teams from contention. Could take 3 weeks off to get bubble locations ready and still be roughly on track for the schedule SB.

From there they could separate into 4 conference playoff bubble brackets. No team gets a bye week entering the playoffs, well technically they do, as the bye week is the bubble week. So we get a 16 team playoff bubble, 4 teams in each bubble bracket: 1+8 (seeds) and 4+5 along with the other bracket as 2+7 and 3+6. At the conclusion of the bracket the winners stay in the bubble until both teams travel to the highest seeded teams bubble stadium.

After the game the winner stays in said bubble until both teams travel to the SB site.

The only problem with this is a) suitable practice/training facilities and b) the Titans/Steelers game and perhaps the Chiefs/Pats game. Perhaps they play the first week in the bubble while all the other teams get a week off?

7 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

nba roster are 12-15 players

nfl are 65+ plus large medical team, coaches, equipment manager during gamr time a sideline can easily have 100+ people

You don't think Los Angeles or the Bay Area could comfortably host 1,600+ people for 3 months? 

3 hours ago, ET80 said:

This is the best plan IMO.

I don't think you can do a bubble.  The best thing to do would be to have gaps in the season, say every 4 weeks.  A 2 week gap.  It would make the season last much longer than usual, but it would be a good way to have some game in bursts then hopefully by the time you start seeing outbreaks, there's a space for guys to isolate without it costing teams players and games.