Star Wars Battlefront II

JBURGE

Also, be wary.  At this point, EA will probably release a day one patch and/or make an announcement that will change things... but not change them very much.  So instead of making it take 60 hours to grind for one character, they will do a change to where it now will take 55 hours (or some other number that is totally unreasonable) and it will be labeled by the media as 'EA makes positive changes', when the changes don't do much.  This also is really effective because the media will no longer be focused on all this horrible PR, but will focus more on the 'positive changes' since that would be the most recent news at the moment regarding the game.

I think most of you here are aware of this, but this usually works to get most of the people who are on the fence to jump over.  

28 minutes ago, zelbell said:

And at current rates, that's still 10 hours to unlock a single 10K hero. 3.5 for the other heroes. And that's if you don't spend a single credit and save everything you can earn.

Wow, is EA trying to out-bid Konami for setting the Guinness World Record for scummy business practices? If so, then I gotta say this is one HELL of an effort, and believe me, that's no easy feat (<---like we NEEDED any more reason not to buy that POS).

I was gonna ask for this for X-Mas (so that way, if I have to spend real money on loot boxes, it won't cost me an extra $60), but this has given me some serious pause. I wanted to play as Darth, dammit! Yes, even with all the guys spending hundreds of dollars on loot upgrades from the get-go (and you know there's gonna be some), but now? I'm not too sure TBH.

The whole P2W system was already bad enough by itself, but locking staple characters behind an endless grindwall? This is beyond ludicrous. That's like locking Mario in SSB, Raiden, Sub-Zero and Scorpion in MK or Ryu and Chun-Li in SF/MvC. Even worse, it literally FORCES you to choose between grinding for upgrades or characters. Once you've finally gotten enough in-game credits to unlock each character, you're back to square one as far as actually building Luke or Vader, utter BS of the highest order. 

Anything, anything, ANYTHING but this. If I have to buy a character pass to get my Vader-romping fix (along with real loot money just to have a fighting chance), then so be it. Knowing EA, I'll bet they'd charge $100 a pop or some chit, though.

Edited by KManX89

A guy who works in PR made a post on Reddit predicting EA's response. He got it spot in. They lowered the price of the heroes to make the original complaints outdated. They're planning an AMA (ask me anything) on Reddit which is going to be a colossal mess.

I just won't be buying the game. The loot crate system has not been addressed, so no buy. Like Mossburg said, cosmetic items generate plenty of income. Valve and Blizzard have done this without compromising the quality of their games. That said, still don't support loot crates because of the whole gambling element. 

The reason this works is two-fold: 1. Journalists who cover the initial outrage feel that, ethically, they have to post the follow up but probably aren't going to do the research to figure out if the changes are substantial or effective at fixing the actual issue. (Edit: I've started seeing articles pop up already about the "changes" and at best, all they do is parrot the good research that various Redditors have done.) 2. Loyal fans who get fed up with it and decide not to buy the game are desperately searching for a reason to forgive EA so they can play their neato shooty game so they'll take any crumbs they are given.

Accordingly, I will guarantee this: They will "make changes" with a day 1 patch. That much is obvious, but specifically, the changes they make will be based around reducing the cost of heroes and loot boxes. Sounds good, right? Well, maybe. The actual reason why they're going to reduce it is because right now the complaints are that progression takes "too" long - specifically about 40 hours to unlock heroes. They will change it, negligibly, so that the story becomes "We fixed the 40 hour hero requirement!" Of course, the change will make it so that still takes about 37 hours (I'm obviously just making up a number here, but the point is that it's still an absurd requirement), but that will be lost in the news cycle of them "making changes."

And of course, inexplicably, forums will be filled with people who for whatever reason are desperate to point out that your outrage is outdated. You'll say "It takes too long to unlock heroes" and they'll pop up to tell you and everyone else that EA "made changes" to that. Complain about loot box percentages? They "made changes!" What changes? Who gives a ****. Changes!!!! Every complaint you have will be met with someone who wants to tell you that the reason you have for being upset is outdated.

This is a very common strategy used for scandals that are linked directly to financials - they will **** you a little less than you expected and hope that you don't do the math on just how much less it is. All the while they will take advantage of the PR resulting from the reduced *******.

To clarify, you shouldn't feel like EA is "ignoring" you. They aren't. It's actually worse than them ignoring you. They have people pouring over these forums (And twitter, more importantly) trying to get a general idea of the negative sentiment. They will then try to quantify that negative sentiment and add it to the previous years of focus testing and market research they've done. The previous focus tests told them the the most financially viable thing to do would be to make the game as it is now, and they will add the current negative sentiment to that formula and come up with something like "reduce microtransaction costs by 1.5%" (Rounded up to the nearest 5 or 9 or 10, again, based on what focus testing tells them is most pleasing to the customer. They also will likely increase progression rather than decrease microctransaction prices to avoid alienating people who bought the microtransactions at the original price - of course, increasing progression speed and decreasing the cost are exactly the same thing, financially.)

Quote from PR guy mentioned in previous post. 

Edited by sunnygsm

3 minutes ago, sunnygsm said:

Quote from PR guy mentioned in previous post. 

It's actually not a reduction to 37 hours per character like the guy said, but still, 10 hours per character when they're STAPLE characters is ridiculous. And once you've unlocked them, you have to start all over as far as actually upgrading them, if you don't want to spend a dime on microtransactions that is. 

They'd be better off releasing a character pass to go along with their P2W BS TBH. I'd honestly rather do that. 

56 minutes ago, KManX89 said:

It's actually not a reduction to 37 hours per character like the guy said, but still, 10 hours per character when they're STAPLE characters is ridiculous. And once you've unlocked them, you have to start all over as far as actually upgrading them, if you don't want to spend a dime on microtransactions that is. 

They'd be better off releasing a character pass to go along with their P2W BS TBH. I'd honestly rather do that. 

He wasn't being specific with the 37. It was just a random figure to make a point, see the bracket following the statement. Man EA sucks. 

Edited by sunnygsm

Just now, sunnygsm said:

He wasn't be specific with the 37. It was just a random figure to make a point. 

There's also a huge difference between cutting it by 3 quarters and just dropping it by 3 hours. 

It's still BS to have to grind for them while worrying about a P2W system, though. 

2 hours ago, Remixxxxxxx said:

If you purchase this game you're what's wrong with gaming and the modern gaming model. 

That's not fair to everyone.  Some people who are purchasing the game don't care about DLC, pay walls, etc.  They just want to have fun with family and friends.