Is Jalen Ramsey already the best DB in the league?

Apparition

Note that I said "DB", not "CB", because the guy can legitimately play anywhere in the defensive backfield. 

Entering today he led the league (by a pretty wide margin) in yards allowed per coverage snap and he had an excellent showing against the Steelers (4 PD, 1 INT) . I watched quite a bit of his film for my "Superstars in the Making" thread from this past offseason and from what I saw he showed tremendous technical polish as a rookie in addition to being an outstanding athlete. This year it seems like he's taken the next step, playing like vintage Charles Woodson.

1 minute ago, DingoLadd said:

He's a top 15 DB already, but the best? you gotta do that multiple seasons to be the best for me. 

DB play fluctuates so much from year to year that any time you call someone the best it pretty much just represents a snapshot of the current season.

1 minute ago, Starless said:

DB play fluctuates so much from year to year that any time you call someone the best it pretty much just represents a snapshot of the current season.

Fair enough. I remember when Jason Verett was the best midget CB in the league....Ahh the times when he had knee ligaments left. 

I'll admit this season he's played into his way for a top 5 spot.

I would say he's the best CB so far this season, but I'd be more comfortable saying this if he was closer to this level of play last year. I said the same thing in a CB ranking thread in comparisons. DB play fluctuates so much that I think to be the best, you need to be at a top 5 level for at least a full season before ranking the guy #1. He's been the best over the last 5, for instance, but I'd put the last 20 games that, say, Harrison Smith or Chris Harris or Eric Berry or Patrick Peterson, over what Ramsey has done over his last 21. And all it really takes is one or two bad games to just destroy a CB's season from a statistical perspective. If he is like this the rest of the season, I'll probably agree.

He's closing in on the tag, but there is a waiting list in front of him. His versatility really makes him a dangerous player.

You're calling him a younger Charles Woodson. I actually think you got the first name wrong - he reminds me of Rod Woodson, which is a helluva benchmark.

He's certainly impressed the hell out of me, but this is too soon.   You are right that DB fluctuates a good bit, but consistency, for some reason, gets overlooked when talking about how great players actually are.   The truly great ones are the ones that can play at a high level year after year.     Ramsey might be the best this year, and I expect him to be great going forward, but its too early to say he is the best DB overall.  

If he were NOT playing well, LEVEL HEADED people would be saying "its too early to pass judgment"...and it goes both ways.   Conventional wisdom would suggest that a player thats good this earlier in their career will only continue to be great....but thats not ALWAYS the case.   

Bottom line, I expect him to be one of the best for the next decade, but I will wait until we see how good he is the rest of this year and into next year before I start proclaiming him the best secondary player in the league.  

Archived