NFL legend Y.A. Tittle passes away at age 90.

TecmoSuperJoe

17 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I wonder if they’ll look at his brain to check to CTE. Would be curious to know if you could live up an old age with it. He comes from the leather hemet era so I’m sure there’s something there. 

He played in the late 50s and 60s.  That wasn't the leather helmet era.  That era ended in 1943.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

He played in the late 50s and 60s.  That wasn't the leather helmet era.  That era ended in 1943.

Actually, it wasn't until 1950 when every team began wearing plastic helmets, because plastic helmets were banned in the NFL in 1948, so everyone had to wear leather...and 1948 was Tittle's rookie year.  

2 hours ago, Pugger said:

Regardless he still lived to an old age and I’d imagine there would still be some brain damage. It would be interesting to see if you could live a full long life with CTE. 

54 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Actually, it wasn't until 1950 when every team began wearing plastic helmets, because plastic helmets were banned in the NFL in 1948, so everyone had to wear leather...and 1948 was Tittle's rookie year.  

Tittle played at LSU in the late 1940s because Bobby Layne was already at U of Texas. He started for the AAFC Baltimore Colts in 1950 and jumped to the SF 49ers, a recently merged AAFC team in 1951. He joined the NYG in 1960. His daughter's book is the only one that explains the eye-hand coordination pitchers and QB possess that gives them such uncanny skill.

David Halberstam, who had written The Education of a Coach, about Bill Belichick, was on his way to interview Tittle when he was killed in a car accident.

The "leather helmet" era didn't end until the mid 1950s. College and NFL helmets were heavy layers of leather with cotton batting inside. The NCAA and NFL mandated face guards on plastic helmets by 1958.

On 2017. 10. 11. at 6:05 PM, sdrawkcab321 said:

Regardless he still lived to an old age and I’d imagine there would still be some brain damage. It would be interesting to see if you could live a full long life with CTE. 

He battled dementia in his final years, so there (most likely) was.

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/11214487/hall-fame-quarterback-ya-tittle-takes-final-trip-home-espn-magazine

Archived