If Washington is picking in the 3-10 range, who's your selection?

turtle28

Since we can't take the top 2 QBs, who do you want in the draft?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Since we can't take the top 2 QBs, who do you want in the draft?

• Penei Sewell
    • Caleb Farley
    • Micah Parsons
    • Ja'Marr Chase
    • Zach Wilson
    • Patrick Surtain II
    • DeVonta Smith
    • Kyle Pitts
    • Trey Lance
    • Kyle Trask

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Of the choices, I went with Sewell, of course. Best non-QB in the draft in my view, premium position and a need for us. Only way I don’t take Sewell is if they meet with Wilson or Lance and absolutely fall in love with the intangibles — then I’d take the QB and sit him a year behind Smith. 

Of course Sewell won’t be there when we draft. In thinking about guys who will be there in the 8-15 range, my two favorite talents are Devonta Smith and Kyle Pitts. A blue chip TE or an insanely productive WR would be transformative for our offensive unit. I’d love to look at positions like LT, MLB, and FS, but I’m just not sold on anyone being worthy of a top 10ish pick at any of those positions (aside from Sewell and Parsons, who will be gone). To me, the arrow at pick 10 points strongly toward a pass-catcher if there’s no QB we love. 

I’d say you’re spot on. I don’t see Sewell or Parsons getting to our pick and since that’s the case I’d love to get Pitts or D. Smith when we pick somewhere around 10 or in the teens unless as you said they absolutely fall in love with Wilson or Lance - which is possible but I doubt - and even then, me personally, I think taking them top 15 is a reach.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DaWg_LB. said:

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to ask this question, so please forgive me if this belongs somewhere else. My Best Friend, lifelong "Skins" (WFT upsets him a bit...) says he has two mindsets about the upcoming offseason, many of his thought processes have already been expressed here. He said he wants one of 2 things to happen.

1. Ride with Alex Smith for one more year, Bring back the guy Rivera brought up from Carolina, and then go the FA route (Josh Rosen, Jamis Winston a young guy with still some potential upside) and take BPA that's not a Dlineman in the first 4 rounds.

2. IF you guy's dont win yall's division, and are "Close" enough to get Lance or Fields, without some sort of RGIII type trade, (Compensation limited to 2nd round pick next year and a player that is not Young, T.Mac, Antonio Gibson and maybe some sprinklings of 3rd day picks)

Which seems to be the more popular draft strategies among the WFT fans here? Or is there another strategy that is popular in here? 

Thank you for taking my call, I'll hang-up and listen now 🙂

I think the most popular approach to that issue is if we aren’t in range to get a QB we love, we should just keep on building up the offensive core with elite talent and come back to QB next season. But perhaps I only think that’s most popular because it’s what I personally want 😂

I think most have accepted at this point that Alex Smith will be the starter going into next season. He’s under contract, he’s playing pretty well, he brings a lot to this young team in terms of character and leadership, and the coaching staff obviously loves him. Given that Rivera is the primary decision maker in the organization, I fully expect Smith to be starting week one next year. 

In a perfect world, we’d be developing a QB to take over for Smith in 2022. Assuming that isn’t Haskins or Allen (though I’m not convinced that we may not start to hear rumblings about Haskins being back in the good graces and getting another shot), the best case scenario for me is for us to fall in love with a QB and land him in the draft — whether that be via him making it to our pick or via a reasonable trade up. But that hinges on us loving one of these non-Lawrence/Fields guys like Wilson or Lance. 

The next option for me, behind “draft a QB we love this season,” is just stand pat and come back to it next offseason. I don’t want to add a QB just for the sake of adding one, it needs to be someone we’re sold on being The Guy™️.

Personally, I don’t have any interest in mid-round picks and I don’t have any interest in FA castoffs. We’ve already got two young QBs in house, so anyone we add would need to be a major upgrade on those two. I don’t see that in the mid rounds or in FA, so I wouldn’t waste the resources.

Edited by e16bball
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Slappy Mc said:

... I wholeheartedly disagree. 

Sometimes I think you say things just to be a contrarian. 

None of our offensive lineman are above average. 

I mean I am just saying it to say it but it’s also true, anything can happen. There’s no doubt that our DL talent is far above our OL talent but we could take one. 

I find it hard for anyone to say that the OL as currently constructed is playing poorly. We only have 1 big name on our OL - Scherff - but what I’m seeing is that doesn’t really matter right now because our OL is playing well.

Edited by turtle28

On 12/11/2020 at 1:56 PM, e16bball said:

Of the choices, I went with Sewell, of course. Best non-QB in the draft in my view, premium position and a need for us. Only way I don’t take Sewell is if they meet with Wilson or Lance and absolutely fall in love with the intangibles — then I’d take the QB and sit him a year behind Smith. 

Of course Sewell won’t be there when we draft. In thinking about guys who will be there in the 8-15 range, my two favorite talents are Devonta Smith and Kyle Pitts. A blue chip TE or an insanely productive WR would be transformative for our offensive unit. I’d love to look at positions like LT, MLB, and FS, but I’m just not sold on anyone being worthy of a top 10ish pick at any of those positions (aside from Sewell and Parsons, who will be gone). To me, the arrow at pick 10 points strongly toward a pass-catcher if there’s no QB we love. 

You're in my head. I didnt see this until now. I just posted in the draft thread that Pitts or Smith would be my choice at our current pick of #11

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Thaiphoon said:

You're in my head. I didnt see this until now. I just posted in the draft thread that Pitts or Smith would be my choice at our current pick of #11

I'll defer to the two of you, but if given a choice, I would take the TE as I don't think we necessarily need to spend a top pick on a WR right now.

• Like 2