Brief player(s) update

Mid Iowa

12/10/2020 - As of yesterday, Terron Armstead was back at practice, as was Derrick Kelly - another lineman who tested positive after contract tracing put him in contact with Armstead - and Justin Hardee, our special teams standout. Hardee has been out with a groin since the Chicago game.

These are some big players, and coming back at a good time. Hopefully they'll all play and stay healthy vs. the Eagles, and be in football shape in time for the Chiefs.

Brees is still pretty ho-hum regarding comments to the media about his injury and recovery, giving everybody the generic "one day at a time" comment, which I think we all understand. Brees has been going through pre-game routines, but nobody has seen him actually throw a ball yet, or even touch one, for that matter. His pre-game is all about memory and the mental part of prep, nothing physical.

I'll be surprised if we see Brees in time for the Chiefs game. I think we'll see a heck of a matchup between our defense and the Mahomes machine, and then hopefully Payton can use his experience of working with Spagnolo against him.

1 hour ago, Mid Iowa said:

Brees is still pretty ho-hum regarding comments to the media about his injury and recovery, giving everybody the generic "one day at a time" comment, which I think we all understand. Brees has been going through pre-game routines, but nobody has seen him actually throw a ball yet, or even touch one, for that matter. His pre-game is all about memory and the mental part of prep, nothing physical.

I'll be surprised if we see Brees in time for the Chiefs game. I think we'll see a heck of a matchup between our defense and the Mahomes machine, and then hopefully Payton can use his experience of working with Spagnolo against him.

Chiefs won't allow Hill to coast with a lead too, so those will be good reps for him. I just wish it wasn't so important RE: seeding and bye week potential, bc otherwise I wouldn't be too fussed with a Loss there if Hill shows real strides.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Can you even imagine old man Brees out dueling Mahomes his first game back after injury?  I just don’t see it. Regardless of whether we roll with Taysom or start Brees we’re gonna need some magic on our side.

I still think we win by 2 scores. The Chiefs offense is sooo good. Yet I don't think they've seen a defensive front 7 like ours yet.
Our offense is pretty decent, and I think we can simply score more points.

We've all seen how our Saints do it. We play down to our competition, and up to our competition. When we're firing on all cylinders, we're the best team in the league.

On 12/10/2020 at 3:53 PM, Mid Iowa said:

I still think we win by 2 scores.

Wow that's a lot more confident than I feel to be honest. The Chiefs seem to play like we did in Brees' 2009-2011 prime, though. They can start slow and fall behind by a lot. They're just never out of any game and can toss 21-28 on us in no time. But our defense is playing really well... we can absolutely win this game but 2 scores is putting a lot on whoever is under center. I'd be happy with a win by 1 or 3. 😁

1 hour ago, nolaexpat said:

Wow that's a lot more confident than I feel to be honest. The Chiefs seem to play like we did in Brees' 2009-2011 prime, though. They can start slow and fall behind by a lot. They're just never out of any game and can toss 21-28 on us in no time. But our defense is playing really well... we can absolutely win this game but 2 scores is putting a lot on whoever is under center. I'd be happy with a win by 1 or 3. 😁

I’ve gone back and watched some of our old games, it really is a stark contrast.  People forget how trigger happy we used to be.  

6 minutes ago, nolaexpat said:

I think it's amazing how often it worked. What's sad is that it never seemed to have the same effect in the post season after 2009.

Well we've had some major disappointments when we've made the playoffs since then.  Whether it was the Beast Quake, horrible officiating, or injuries leading into the playoffs, or something else.  I can't remember a single playoff game where I didn't think we should've won that game after we've lost since 2009.  Much different than some of the teams that we've just straight up destroyed in the playoffs before suffering our narrow losses.

8 minutes ago, nolaexpat said:

Yeah we have definitely had some terrible luck. I feel like 2011 we deserved. No way SF should have marched the field what that time in like 3 or 4 plays to beat us. If memory serves, they had no timeouts and only about a minute. That's on us.

they might've deserved it, but we should've still won that game.

San Francisco's cross field pass to Vernon Davis... (was our game)
Vinkings last second TD - fluke play... (was our game - no way the Eagles would have beat the Saints the following week)
Rams "no call" PI that killed our dagger drive... (The Patriots couldn't keep up with us that year. Boring Superbowl)

We're due a good fortune for a change.