Week 6: Packers (4-1) at VIKINGS (3-2)

swede700

3 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

i'll grant you that, but still your D is giving up points. teams are beating their offensive point scoring averages against the Packers.

you're winning games not because of your D, but because of Rodgers' abilities.

True but the front 7 is much better than the numbers imply. Our secondary has been bad but against a weaker O line and QB I expect the front 7 to be able to hide deficiencies better in the secondary, especially true if Diggs can't go. We have done well when playing below average offenses Seahawks scored 9, Bears scored 14, and the Bengals score 17 (Had a defensive TD to make it 24). We dominated them all up front. Cowboys and the Falcons both have decent offensive lines which limited our greatest strength while having QBs to take advantage our greatest weakness. I will say our coverage especially by our corners has been pretty weak so far. 

According to Football Outsiders, the Packers' defensive line is certainly a little better (as it's #11 against the run and #10 against the pass), but overall, the defense is still mediocre at #20 and really bad against the short pass (defined as within 15 yds in the air) ranking #26. 

Plus, while I wouldn't describe the Vikings' offensive line as a great offensive line, they are decent...and the roles are reversed for these 2 offensive lines, as the Packers are outstanding in run blocking (#1), but pretty bad pass-blocking (#23) while the Vikings are #17 and #8, respectively.  

1 minute ago, disaacs said:

According to Football Outsiders, the Packers' defensive line is certainly a little better (as it's #11 against the run and #10 against the pass), but overall, the defense is still mediocre at #20 and really bad against the short pass (defined as within 15 yds in the air) ranking #26.    

I'm not a big football outsiders fan myself but this is about the gist of it. 

Packers opponents: 21.1 PPG 

Packers against opponents: 22.4 PPG

Packers allowing an average of 1.3 points over opponents average scored.

Vikings opponents: 20.9 PPG

Vikings against opponents: 18.6 PPG

Vikings allowing an average of 2.3 points under opponents average scored.

Vike Daddy speaks the truth

22 minutes ago, disaacs said:

Plus, while I wouldn't describe the Vikings' offensive line as a great offensive line, they are decent...and the roles are reversed for these 2 offensive lines, as the Packers are outstanding in run blocking (#1), but pretty bad pass-blocking (#23) while the Vikings are #17 and #8, respectively.  

From the couple games I have watched they have definitely been improved from last year but its obvious the offense schemes around them. The football outsiders line ratings are nothing but crap so I don't put much stock in them. Plus the Packers have started a different offensive line combination for every single game. I don't really know how you can come to any definitive conclusions on that line run blocking or pass blocking. 

7 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

From the couple games I have watched they have definitely been improved from last year but its obvious the offense schemes around them. The football outsiders line ratings are nothing but crap so I don't put much stock in them. Plus the Packers have started a different offensive line combination for every single game. I don't really know how you can come to any definitive conclusions on that line run blocking or pass blocking. 

The Vikings used 11 different combinations in 16 games last season and we all came to a definitive conclusion.  xD

43 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

Packers opponents: 21.1 PPG 

Packers against opponents: 22.4 PPG

Packers allowing an average of 1.3 points over opponents average scored.

Vikings opponents: 20.9 PPG

Vikings against opponents: 18.6 PPG

Vikings allowing an average of 2.3 points under opponents average scored.

Vike Daddy speaks the truth

you can't just average all of GB's opponents' stats together like that, you have to look at how those teams were doing prior to playing GB. like this:

In Week 2, GB played Atlanta. the Falcons scored 23 in their first game, but then 34 against GB.

in Week 3, GB played Cincinnati. the Bengals scored 0 and 9 points in their first two games, but then 24 against GB.

in Week 4, GB played Chicago, which will screw up any set of stats, lol.

in Week 5, GB played Dallas. the Cowboys scored 19, 17, and 28 points in their first three games, but then 31 against GB.

GB's opponents have scored more points against GB in their matchups than against their other opponents, that's my only point.

6 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

you can't just average all of GB's opponents' stats together like that, you have to look at how those teams were doing prior to playing GB. like this:

In Week 2, GB played Atlanta. the Falcons scored 23 in their first game, but then 34 against GB.

in Week 3, GB played Cincinnati. the Bengals scored 0 and 9 points in their first two games, but then 24 against GB.

in Week 4, GB played Chicago, which will screw up any set of stats, lol.

in Week 5, GB played Dallas. the Cowboys scored 19, 17, and 28 points in their first three games, but then 31 against GB.

GB's opponents have scored more points against GB in their matchups than against their other opponents, that's my only point.

I know and I agree with you. The stats I gave included the games against GB and still proved your point but if I took out the GB game that margin would be larger.

Pete Bercich with film analysis, showing how Dallas' D just didn't maintain their gaps and play sound football, allowing Rodgers to find large open areas for easy completions:

http://www.vikings.com/media-vault/videos/Film-Room-Running-Games-Impact-on-Packers-Offense/59260d7e-5046-4639-9165-5ce0a661c4a3?sf121718609=1

play disciplined, men!

20 hours ago, disaacs said:

Diggs, Easton, Bradford, and Sendejo did not practice today...if it continues to tomorrow, we could see Treadwell, Sirles, Keenum (that's a certainty) and Kearse starting on Sunday.  

Sendejo was the only one back practicing today.  So, I will suspect that it'll be either Treadwell/Floyd, Sirles and Keenum starting.  

Archived