Kevin King relative to other #2 CB

squire12

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

86KGMep.png

Jc3kGHm.gif

First TD. Honestly I don't know what to make of this. I don't know how anybody is supposed to cover this if at the top of the route, at 7 yards deep, Mike Evans is just allowed to put his hands on your helmet and shove you out of the way. That's illegal hands to the face. It's illegal contact. It's a bunch of penalties, none of which got called. 

On the flip side, King recovered from it really damn well. He got himself back in position, almost too far to the sideline. He was moving waiting for a flatter ball to maybe get a pick. He took his eyes off Evans and went flat where Evans gained more depth. Brady just threw a beauty of a level two ball. King's right hand just has to stay on Evans so he knows where he is and he doesn't lose on the depth ball again. 

I don't know how anybody says this is a play that convinces them Kevin King isn't a good CB in the NFL. 

Yeah, and that's the second time that drive Evans got open that way.  Did the same thing to Sullivan on his first catch.  Godwin does it to Sullivan I think on their second drive.  Refs were full on "no such things as PI" right up until the game was on the line.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Les Punting said:

Nothing Evans did at the top of the route conferred any real advantage, King got right back into the play.

Unfortunately, he then proceeded to needlessly gamble on where the ball was going to be delivered, when he should have been gluing himself to Evans. It was an obvious gaffe. If he had simply continued to cover, he would have been in prime position to rip the ball away as it arrived. King's inexplicable lack of discipline turned it into a gimme.   

He played the back shoulder because Evans looked over the back shoulder.  Evans was looking for this to go to the sideline, you can see from his body position and the need to fully flip his hips when the ball arrived.  Brady put it where he did because King was covering the back shoulder; he doesn't throw this until well after Evans has left his cut.  He was throwing this off of the coverage; if King had tried to play this upfield in the hip pocket, the ball goes outside and Evans can just run to it.