Kevin King relative to other #2 CB

squire12

7 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

King is below average/borderline poor CB. He isn't the worst, but he isn't close to good either.

The problem is made worse by Alexander. He literally shuts down a chunk of the field, which forces QBs to target King (and others). If King was CB3 we wouldn't all be as upset, but Green Bay has him as CB2.

Offer him CB3/CB4 money. If he refuses show him the door. Then look towards the draft/FA and move on with life. 

No, he's not. He was top half of the league in a bunch of coverage metrics. You people are insane. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

No they just had him playing 10 yards off the ball so he wouldn't get burnt.  Repeatedly gave up the easy completions.  Sorry man I like King too but he didn't play well at all this season.  Injuries are a knock as well.  If you are a big King fan should be happy the odds of us bringing him back just went up.  He's not going to command big dollars in FA.

They had him playing 10 yards off the ball because that's how they play their corners.  They always play their weak side CB way off the ball; teams took advantage of it on King's side because testing Jaire with short throws works out 0% of the time.

I'll say this; I have no interest in bringing King back if Pettine is retained.  King's a player with some legitimate strengths, but Pettine doesn't play to them.  I don't know why they don't have him pressed up and bailing to a deep zone as often as possible.  He and Savage should be swapping depth all the damn time; Savage can play any level of the defense effectively and it's really damn hard to get it over the top of a 6'3" deep defender who can jump if he's not chasing the receiver at the snap.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

King has played 30 of the team's last 36 games. 

That’s a convenient cutoff point & small sample size. And even in this high-water-mark “healthy” stretch, that works about 3 missed games per season. & not to mention all the injury-report appearances. 

Just from this season:

Had an injury listed on injury report 16 out of 18 weeks, including Quadracep (6 weeks), Achilles (6 weeks), Groin (4 weeks), Back (2 weeks)

Of the 54 listed practice days, was listed as a DNP on 8 days (15%), and listed as a Limited Participant on 31 days (57%).

Edited by TransientTexan
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Jaire and Amos also gave up TDs, are we getting rid of them? 

Amos did give up a TD didnt he?

1st & Goal at GB 8

(13:54 - 3rd) Cameron Brate Pass From Tom Brady for 8 Yrds R.Succop extra point is GOOD, Center-Z.Triner, Holder-B.Pinion.

You can look at the video / replay to confirm, but I'm fairly sure Amos got caught looking in the backfield and let Brate get behind him all alone. Somebody did and I'm fairly sure it was Amos. Brate was WIDE OPEN. No perfect pass was needed this time :)

31 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

No, he's not. He was top half of the league in a bunch of coverage metrics. You people are insane. 

Yes, he is. Metrics and statistics often get taken out of context to drive a narrative, both good and bad. 

King is a "big body" CB who lacks both the physical style and mental aspects to play that game. He looks like Richard Sherman but his game is the exact opposite. He lacks the ability to make up for it in recovery.

Again, a below average/borderline poor CB. You can find that level anywhere as a CB2, so don't overpay.

6 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

Yes, he is. Metrics and statistics often get taken out of context to drive a narrative, both good and bad. 

King is a "big body" CB who lacks both the physical style and mental aspects to play that game. He looks like Richard Sherman but his game is the exact opposite. He lacks the ability to make up for it in recovery.

Again, a below average/borderline poor CB. You can find that level anywhere as a CB2, so don't overpay.

Poor and find this level anywhere.............hmmmmmmm............teams all over the NFL must be sitting on a stash of 6'4" CB's and not giving up passing yards to anyone. Sorry to jump in here but you make this sound silly. King is not average he's above average and decent starting CB's are tough to find and when you do you have to pay them a kings ransom as we'll be paying Alexander soon enough. 

Just now, PACKRULE said:

Poor and find this level anywhere.............hmmmmmmm............teams all over the NFL must be sitting on a stash of 6'4" CB's and not giving up passing yards to anyone. Sorry to jump in here but you make this sound silly. King is not average he's above average and decent starting CB's are tough to find and when you do you have to pay them a kings ransom as we'll be paying Alexander soon enough. 

Sorry, King is not even close to an above average CB. I'm really starting to wonder if he doesn't have friends/family posting on here for him...

I never said teams are sitting in stashes of good CB2s, just below average ones. And yes, many of those start. You don't overpay for that when you can find it cheaper in the draft/FA, and then you at least have a chance of being lucky and striking gold. Good CBS are tough to find, but we know King isn't even close to one.

Offer him cheap money. If he doesn't take it I'm not losing sleep, and I doubt the Packers are either. 

7 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

Sorry, King is not even close to an above average CB. I'm really starting to wonder if he doesn't have friends/family posting on here for him...

I never said teams are sitting in stashes of good CB2s, just below average ones. And yes, many of those start. You don't overpay for that when you can find it cheaper in the draft/FA, and then you at least have a chance of being lucky and striking gold. Good CBS are tough to find, but we know King isn't even close to one.

Offer him cheap money. If he doesn't take it I'm not losing sleep, and I doubt the Packers are either. 

Never said to oeverpay but did not and won't agree with our thoughts on King. He's played some good football and as Bob suggested if used properly he's likely grading out higher. He did have a bad game and was abused yesterday but he's no where below average. Our DC is below average and needed to be fired last year but the Brass kept him. 

1 minute ago, PACKRULE said:

Never said to oeverpay but did not and won't agree with our thoughts on King. He's played some good football and as Bob suggested if used properly he's likely grading out higher. He did have a bad game and was abused yesterday but he's no where below average. Our DC is below average and needed to be fired last year but the Brass kept him. 

Agree to disagree on King!

Absolutely agree with the DC being below average bit! A better DC hides/helps a below average CB like King better for sure!

43 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

That’s a convenient cutoff point & small sample size. And even in this high-water-mark “healthy” stretch, that works about 3 missed games per season. & not to mention all the injury-report appearances. 

Just from this season:

Had an injury listed on injury report 16 out of 18 weeks, including Quadracep (6 weeks), Achilles (6 weeks), Groin (4 weeks), Back (2 weeks)

Of the 54 listed practice days, was listed as a DNP on 8 days (15%), and listed as a Limited Participant on 31 days (57%).

It's 2 full seasons. Exactly two full seasons. Who cares what he does in practice?

39 minutes ago, Leader said:

Amos did give up a TD didnt he?

1st & Goal at GB 8

(13:54 - 3rd) Cameron Brate Pass From Tom Brady for 8 Yrds R.Succop extra point is GOOD, Center-Z.Triner, Holder-B.Pinion.

You can look at the video / replay to confirm, but I'm fairly sure Amos got caught looking in the backfield and let Brate get behind him all alone. Somebody did and I'm fairly sure it was Amos. Brate was WIDE OPEN. No perfect pass was needed this time :)

Yes, that was Amos. He bit hard on the play action. 

27 minutes ago, BluePacker said:

So rather than use metrics we're going to operate on blind eye tests from fans who can't figure out what coverage is being played?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cheesehead430 said:

King is an average 2, at best.

Then you add in the fact he's made of glass and he doesn't know how to time his jumps, we've seen this multiple times. 

As a few have noted above this is not quite accurate but it's the offseason so let all the banter begin. If we don't resign King he'll get a decent deal from someone. He may not be a 1 but he's a legit 2 and will likely get paid like it. 

9 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It's 2 full seasons. Exactly two full seasons. Who cares what he does in practice?

yea and of the 2, he was only really healthy in 1. 4 is a better sample size than 2. And King is 1-for-4 for healthy seasons. If I'm to pay big money to a CB, it doesn't give me warm fuzzy feelings if he is limited or absent in 70%+ of practices in one of his supposedly healthier seasons. If you have to treat him like a faberge egg just to eek him through the season (and he *still* misses 5-1/2 games!), that does not bode well for the future. 

I'm not blaming him for the way his body is, but that's the facts.