Kevin King relative to other #2 CB

squire12

3 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

Can we afford him? Dam kid is going to make/want bank. He's good and love him but is it going to be worth the 20Mil unless we let go of our QB to make that kind of room. Between AR, Bahk and JA that's going to be 60 mil in a couple years.

Jaire big cap hits will coincide with Rodgers and Z likely being off the roster.  Big money shifts to different positions/players.

There will be space.

3 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

Can we afford him? Dam kid is going to make/want bank. He's good and love him but is it going to be worth the 20Mil unless we let go of our QB to make that kind of room. Between AR, Bahk and JA that's going to be 60 mil in a couple years.

Yes

-At any point in time, you'll always have 30-35 players on your roster on a rookie deal. Outside your 1st round pick, people are making 500k-1.5M

-New TV deals are coming up, fans likely will be in the stands, and there is going to be more money. Don't let the recency bias of the current siutation confuse you. The cap is probably going to be 230-250M by the time Jaire is seeing new dollars in 2023

• Like 2

7 hours ago, PACKRULE said:

Poor and find this level anywhere.............hmmmmmmm............teams all over the NFL must be sitting on a stash of 6'4" CB's and not giving up passing yards to anyone. Sorry to jump in here but you make this sound silly. King is not average he's above average and decent starting CB's are tough to find and when you do you have to pay them a kings ransom as we'll be paying Alexander soon enough. 

He wasn't above average or decent against TB.  If they can sign him for 4-5 mill fine, over that bye bye.  One game doesn't determine a players status but he sure the hell didn't help himself with his performance. 

86KGMep.png

Jc3kGHm.gif

First TD. Honestly I don't know what to make of this. I don't know how anybody is supposed to cover this if at the top of the route, at 7 yards deep, Mike Evans is just allowed to put his hands on your helmet and shove you out of the way. That's illegal hands to the face. It's illegal contact. It's a bunch of penalties, none of which got called. 

On the flip side, King recovered from it really damn well. He got himself back in position, almost too far to the sideline. He was moving waiting for a flatter ball to maybe get a pick. He took his eyes off Evans and went flat where Evans gained more depth. Brady just threw a beauty of a level two ball. King's right hand just has to stay on Evans so he knows where he is and he doesn't lose on the depth ball again. 

I don't know how anybody says this is a play that convinces them Kevin King isn't a good CB in the NFL. 

Edited by AlexGreen#20
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

[img]https://i.imgur.com/86KGMep.png[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/Jc3kGHm.gif[/img]

First TD. Honestly I don't know what to make of this. I don't know how anybody is supposed to cover this if at the top of the route, at 7 yards deep, Mike Evans is just allowed to put his hands on your helmet and shove you out of the way. That's illegal hands to the face. It's illegal contact. It's a bunch of penalties, none of which got called. 

On the flip side, King recovered from it really damn well. He got himself back in position, almost too far to the sideline. He was moving waiting for a flatter ball to maybe get a pick. He took his eyes off Evans and went flat where Evans gained more depth. Brady just threw a beauty of a level two ball. King's right hand just has to stay on Evans so he knows where he is and he doesn't lose on the depth ball again. 

I don't know how anybody says this is a play that convinces them Kevin King isn't a good CB in the NFL. 

ummmm.

I wont quote the post but.....

The Evans pushoff...noted. These refs sucked.

But...King lost position by not watching / staying / moving with the WR. He got caught looking back towards Brady (and the ball) while Evans was able to get necessary spread.   

I dont think King's a bad CB and have said many times I thought the secondary was better with him than not.....that said - he screwed this coverage up and *really* screwed up the last play of the half. Bad D call - got it - (has Pettine actually gone public with any comments about it?) but he was on his own out there and totally dropped the ball.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

I wont quote the post but.....

The Evans pushoff...noted. These refs sucked.

But...King lost position by not watching / staying / moving with the WR. He got caught looking back towards Brady (and the ball) while Evans was able to get necessary spread.   

Nothing Evans did at the top of the route conferred any real advantage, King got right back into the play.

Unfortunately, he then proceeded to needlessly gamble on where the ball was going to be delivered, when he should have been gluing himself to Evans. It was an obvious gaffe. If he had simply continued to cover, he would have been in prime position to rip the ball away as it arrived. King's inexplicable lack of discipline turned it into a gimme.   

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Les Punting said:

Nothing Evans did at the top of the route conferred any real advantage, King got right back into the play.

Unfortunately, he then proceeded to needlessly gamble on where the ball was going to be delivered, when he should have been gluing himself to Evans. It was an obvious gaffe. If he had simply continued to cover, he would have been in prime position to rip the ball away as it arrived. King's inexplicable lack of discipline turned it into a gimme.   

If I was King I would have mentioned to the refs after the play that Evans smacked him in the side of the helmet and asked them "are you going to call this today"?  Then after they ignore you (which they will) on the next series smack Evans in the side of the helmet the next time he facing him and wait for the ref's response.

Its getting very apparent their are 2 sets of rules.  WR's can go through CB's to get to the ball and smack DB's in the helmet to get there (example...watch the long pass completion against Savage in the 2nd quarter).  Their receiver on the way up to get the ball uses his arm and smacks Savage's head downward and sideways hard enough to contort his head so that he cannot see the ball eliminating any chance he had on making a play for the ball.  If a DB did that to the WR it would be "pass interference".  The refs sucked in this game and called it in a way to give an advantage to a team that wanted to play very aggressively and physically.  That was the Buc's.  For the Packers, our DB's generally give a little cushion vs the Bucs who were grabbing all day long.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

King **** the bed .. why are we defending him?  He was awful on the biggest stage of the year.

I think because this thread came to the general consensus that King wasn't a problem at CB and then Sunday happened. My guess  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Kenrik said:

I think because this thread came to the general consensus that King wasn't a problem at CB and then Sunday happened. My guess  

Sunday drives down his price, but the reason this thread was created was because he was woefully inconsistent all year and many of us were on the fence about him. Sunday obviously changed all of that.