Week 7 | Other Games Thread

IDOG_det

GOTW  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Which should be the Game Of The Week?

• #24 Texas Tech @ West Virginia
    • #12 Oklahoma @ Texas

21 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I was more or less talking about the Ohio State fans that pretty much had called their season over.

People love being dramatic about things. Anyone who said that is full of it. Now, I will admit that we looked like hell during that game and Barrett looked like the worst QB in FBS.... and maybe FCS. He has certainly righted the ship but how much of that is him and how much is the garbage competition? We will see in a couple weeks.

15 minutes ago, JTagg7754 said:

People love being dramatic about things. Anyone who said that is full of it. Now, I will admit that we looked like hell during that game and Barrett looked like the worst QB in FBS.... and maybe FCS. He has certainly righted the ship but how much of that is him and how much is the garbage competition? We will see in a couple weeks.

The thing is that Barrett works for the style of play the Big 10 is known for.  Against Big 12 teams, he's going to have a hard time keeping up if the defense isn't keeping the opposing team off the board.

Just want to point out that this is something that we've seen with OSU and their fans for 2 straight seasons. JT plays a quality opponent, looks bad. JT plays poor teams in the B1G and lights them up. OSU fans get excited and say he's progressing and that OSU is a title contender again. 

Maybe OSU really is a title contender. Maybe JT has turned a corner. 

But we've seen this before and keep in mind that these are OSU's opponents since Oklahoma:

• vs. Army
  • vs. UNLV
  • at Rutgers
  • vs. Maryland
  • at Nebraska

Not exactly the best teams in all of college football.

This whole situation reminds me so much of last year.

Meant to have this in Week 7.

1. Alabama
2. Penn State
3. Georgia
4. TCU
5. Wisconsin

6. Clemson
7. Oklahoma
8. Ohio State
9. USC

10. Miami
11. Notre Dame
12. Oklahoma State
13. Washington
14. Virginia Tech
15. Michigan

16. South Florida
17. NC State
18. Michigan State
19. Washington State
20. UCF
21. Stanford
22. Auburn

23. West Virginia
24. Texas A&M
25.  San Diego State

2 hours ago, RollEagles said:

Just want to point out that this is something that we've seen with OSU and their fans for 2 straight seasons. JT plays a quality opponent, looks bad. JT plays poor teams in the B1G and lights them up. OSU fans get excited and say he's progressing and that OSU is a title contender again. 

Maybe OSU really is a title contender. Maybe JT has turned a corner. 

But we've seen this before and keep in mind that these are OSU's opponents since Oklahoma:

• vs. Army
  • vs. UNLV
  • at Rutgers
  • vs. Maryland
  • at Nebraska

Not exactly the best teams in all of college football.

This whole situation reminds me so much of last year.

I think that’s true, but I also think there’s a lot of people that are in wait and see mode at least until after PSU. We have to see him actually do it when there’s some pressure and also see him throw guys open against a good secondary.

The offense as a whole is very different than it started the year though. Not to say that it can’t still regress and show it’s weak areas. I remember week 1 vs IU, it was awful most of the game as well. Three straight three and outs to start the game, terribly playcalling, no push up front, and JT missing open guys and making bad reads. We’ve seen comparable teams defensively since then, and it’s not even the same looking offense. No punts yesterday. They’ve been scoring TDs seemingly every possession, so the execution has certainly improved, granted, against bad defenses. Special teams seems to be the one question area right now. That and Kendall Sheffield, who can’t cover anyone. 

Clemson last year was certainly not the first indicator of offensive struggles. IU, MSU, and UM down the stretch were nearly as bad offensively. I think there will still be ample regular season chances this year to see if this offense and JT have turned the corner. For now, he has accounted for 26 TDs and one turnover. 

10 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

I think that’s true, but I also think there’s a lot of people that are in wait and see mode at least until after PSU. We have to see him actually do it when there’s some pressure and also see him throw guys open against a good secondary.

The offense as a whole is very different than it started the year though. Not to say that it can’t still regress and show it’s weak areas. I remember week 1 vs IU, it was awful most of the game as well. Three straight three and outs to start the game, terribly playcalling, no push up front, and JT missing open guys and making bad reads. We’ve seen comparable teams defensively since then, and it’s not even the same looking offense. No punts yesterday. They’ve been scoring TDs seemingly every possession, so the execution has certainly improved, granted, against bad defenses. Special teams seems to be the one question area right now. That and Kendall Sheffield, who can’t cover anyone. 

Clemson last year was certainly not the first indicator of offensive struggles. IU, MSU, and UM down the stretch were nearly as bad offensively. I think there will still be ample regular season chances this year to see if this offense and JT have turned the corner. For now, he has accounted for 26 TDs and one turnover. 

Completely agree.

We'll find out a lot more about OSU pretty quickly going forward. Some quality opponents coming up.

Archived