Bears only have two pro bowlers

Ty21

18 minutes ago, abstract_thought said:

If we know it's a joke, the media knows it's a joke, and the players treat it like a joke... How much weight do you think it really has in contract talks?

It has a lot actually. Why? Don't know. But it does.

That's why it's also incorporated into contracts as incentives and escalators to give players a chance to earn more money. EDIT: This is why it's also used by agents to prop up their guy during negotiations. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

12 hours ago, JAF-N72EX said:

It has a lot actually. Why? Don't know. But it does.

That's why it's also incorporated into contracts as incentives and escalators to give players a chance to earn more money. EDIT: This is why it's also used by agents to prop up their guy during negotiations. 

It’s used as a bonus in negotiations not because it carries weight but because it’s simple.

And if we’re discussing how this relates to Eddie Jackson or any other Bear’s contract negotiations, count me among those who don’t want our GM rewarding players for Pro Bowl appearances.

13 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

It’s used as a bonus in negotiations not because it carries weight but because it’s simple.

It does carry weight. Alot. You seem to be arguing semantics here. 

All bonuses = Money = Weight in contract negotiations.

Pro bowl appearances, All-pro appearances,  raw stats,  % of games played,  availability, and character are some of the driving factors that go into contract negotiations. For AND against players. We can argue all day about which we think should carry more weight than the other, but the fact of the matter is, all of them carry weight because it's a business based on money. 

13 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

And if we’re discussing how this relates to Eddie Jackson or any other Bear’s contract negotiations, count me among those who don’t want our GM rewarding players for Pro Bowl appearances.

What you, me, or any other person thinks about it on a message board doesn't matter at all. It's not going to change anytime soon. And a GM doesn't have any control over that part either. Air your grievances to the NFLPA. 

On 12/22/2020 at 9:32 PM, JAF-N72EX said:

There shouldn't be alternates anyhow IMO unless it's injury related. It doesn't matter this year but they should have the Pro Bowl after the Super Bowl like it used to be. 

Either that, or my idea--have it be the first pre-season game. That would boost it's ratings, ensure all the Pro Bowlers play, and have the entire narrative revolve around the players and the teams they play on, at the time of the season when everything is being endlessly discussed anyway. 

On 12/22/2020 at 9:41 PM, abstract_thought said:

If we know it's a joke, the media knows it's a joke, and the players treat it like a joke... How much weight do you think it really has in contract talks?

Well, it's not a total joke. The game tends to be really uninteresting, but there are rarely bad players voted to the Pro Bowl. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Either that, or my idea--have it be the first pre-season game. That would boost it's ratings, ensure all the Pro Bowlers play, and have the entire narrative revolve around the players and the teams they play on, at the time of the season when everything is being endlessly discussed anyway.

Could you imagine the backlash when someone's franchise face gets hurt in that game and they miss a ton of time for the real season? I hate this idea but want it JUST for the chaos that may come into play. lol

I think that would actually cause a ton of guys to sit it out honestly.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, abstract_thought said:

GMs don't control which bonuses are included in a player's contract?

Cmon dude. You know damn well that's not what I mean. Look, at this point, it seems like you're arguing for just the sake of arguing. You keep changing what to be mad about next with no end in sight. 

If you don't like PBs being included into contracts....fine. That's your prerogative. If you don't like a GM that does include them into contracts....fine...hate every GM in the league then. That's your prerogative. But I guarantee it's not going to change anything. 

Edited by JAF-N72EX

10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Well, it's not a total joke. The game tends to be really uninteresting, but there are rarely bad players voted to the Pro Bowl. 

Nice. I like the idea combined with the idea of no more alternatives except for injuries for a number of reasons. 

1. This (almost) completely eliminates any need for alternatives (aside from major injuries of players still recovering in August).
  2. There is still time for 3 more PS games (I don't wanna that to go away).
  3. August is still warm weather (for players).
  4. The league may benefit alot by making it the 1st game to open the season by taking advantage of a football starved fan base. 

The only downside to it would be that you're cramming a game in after a long strenuous offseason programs and that may lead to more possible injuries, as @Sugashane pointed to and beat me to it, and I would hate like hell to lose a great player for the season just for the Pro Bowl. That would suck.

But then again, they usually don't try their hardest either and generally try to take care of each other on the field too because they how meaningless the game really is so maybe it wouldn't be as bad as I envision it being either too.  Who knows.

But realistically it wouldn't work anyhow though because the Pro Bowl has to be played before the official end season date in March.