The "Make Peace" QB thread

Matts4313

On 1/3/2021 at 11:55 AM, quiller said:

so far I am totally confused about our cap situation.  I used "over the cap" as my basis and it says we have 24 M in cap space for next season.  In it self that isn't even close enough to tag Dak a second time.  Nor pay him the expected 35 m or 30 m which is what it would be if we give him a contract.  I do see us restructuring DLaws contract, he has a hit of 25. Which might do it. 

I don't see getting Dalton under 12 but it's possible and I wouldn't be surprised if Jones saves the money. 

I like the idea of Tartt, Peterson and maybe Snacks or his clone.   I still think a change in coaching scheme and off season will fix our LB problem if we add in solid draft help round 1 or 2.  

I also don't see Dlaw Zeke and Coop on the roster for the full length of their contracts.

We also have $34m in carry over. So in total we should have $50-60m I believe. 

On 12/31/2020 at 7:57 PM, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Not Slam or DaBoys, but I would probably try to...

Sign Leonard Williams to play DT, Justin Simmons to play FS. Extend Michael Gallup and Randy Gregory. Sign a solid 1T. Draft a CB in round 1. Replace Jaylon Smith in Round 2.

That’s probably more than what you save at the QB, but I assume we have flexibility to get some stuff done even if we bring Dak back. So I don’t think this would be unreasonable.

Thought the cap was dropping to $175m.  Dont we have $180 already allocated?

On 1/2/2021 at 12:31 PM, WizardHawk said:

I’ve said it before, the pro personnel dept. of this team doesn’t have a very good track record. Spending money on tier 3-4 FA hasn’t been kind for the most part. 

It's hard when the team signs players that fit in one system only for the head coach to go and hire his friend that runs a totally opposite type of system where the players on the team dont fit. I've always had the thought of coaches are suppose to conform to the players not the other way around. McCarthy and Nolan have done the exact opposite. 

26 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

It's hard when the team signs players that fit in one system only for the head coach to go and hire his friend that runs a totally opposite type of system where the players on the team dont fit. I've always had the thought of coaches are suppose to conform to the players not the other way around. McCarthy and Nolan have done the exact opposite. 

Which is the exact opposite of what MM said he would do.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, buddy_z34 said:

It took them 2/3rds of the season. He kept running a variation of the 3-4 all season long. The players on the roster fit their natural positions in the 4-3. That's not conforming 

Yes, Nolan did run *some* 3-4. And he got fired for it. But we are talking about McCarthy.

BTW - that was greatly exaggerated, imo. If I had to guess we played 3-4 less than 15% of the time. And once Greggory got back that number dropped to less than 5%. 

our DE's and DT's  all played their natural positions. Aldon Smith was used as an edge, some LB, some DE, some standing blitzes. And he was pretty good at it to start the season. But like pretty much every team in the NFL, we played mostly nickle with only 2 LBs on the field.

Edited by Matts4313

5 hours ago, Matts4313 said:

Curious as to how MM didnt conform? 

Had to bail when I started typing so I didn’t finish.

I can’t say he didn’t conform or even did a bad job. He/they did what they could with the hand they were dealt. I would question his use of the analytics that he pushed pretty hard and supposedly studied during his time off.