The "Make Peace" QB thread

Matts4313

In this thread we are going to discuss the idea that Dalton leads us to a playoff win and is the Franchise QB. I would assume that he would resign for no less than ~$20m/yr - - but for this exercise we are going to assume he comes back for ~$5m/yr. Which means we free up ~$35m/yr for free agents compared to the cost of Dak.

@The_Slamman and @DaBoys lead the conversation. How do we become a superbowl team with a probowl caliber Andy Dalton who just came off a playoff winning season? 

Edited by Matts4313

Not Slam or DaBoys, but I would probably try to...

Sign Leonard Williams to play DT, Justin Simmons to play FS. Extend Michael Gallup and Randy Gregory. Sign a solid 1T. Draft a CB in round 1. Replace Jaylon Smith in Round 2.

That’s probably more than what you save at the QB, but I assume we have flexibility to get some stuff done even if we bring Dak back. So I don’t think this would be unreasonable.

15 hours ago, Nextyearfordaboyz said:

Not Slam or DaBoys, but I would probably try to...

Sign Leonard Williams to play DT, Justin Simmons to play FS. Extend Michael Gallup and Randy Gregory. Sign a solid 1T. Draft a CB in round 1. Replace Jaylon Smith in Round 2.

That’s probably more than what you save at the QB, but I assume we have flexibility to get some stuff done even if we bring Dak back. So I don’t think this would be unreasonable.

Have to assume there is a second #1 in the mix as well since Dak has been traded in this scenario.  With that I’m looking for another EDGE or DT, depending on what happens in FA. Otherwise, I like where this is headed defensively. 

Edited by WizardHawk

24 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

Have to assume there is a second #1 in the mix as well since Dak has been traded in this scenario.  With that I’m looking for another EDGE or DT, depending on what happens in FA. Otherwise, I like where this is headed defensively. 

I didn’t really consider the premise of trading Dak after franchising him. Would definitely give us more flexibility.

List of potential outside our club UFAs I’d be interested in doing homework on:

Leonard Williams: $8.2M/ year

Patrick Peterson: $11.4M/ year

Lavonte David: $13.2M/ year

Jaquiski Tartt: $7M/ year

Ndamukong Suh: $7.5M/ year

Brandon Scherff: $11.1M/ year

Matt Judon: $16.3M/ year

Ryan Kerrigan: $7.5M/ year

Olivier Vernon: $11M/ year

Hunter Henry: $9M/ year

Melvin Ingram: $11.4M/ year

Bud Dupree: $16.6M/ year

Justin Simmons: $14.6M/ year

Shaquill Barrett: $19.8M/ year

Anthony Harris: $15.5M/ year

John Ross: $4.2 M/ year

Dez Bryant: $1.5M/ year

Jonathan Hankins: $2.5M/ year

Snacks: $1m/ year

Markus Golden: $13.5/ year

Sheldon Rankins: $11.3M/ year

Mackensie Alexander: $8.4M/ year

Haason Reddick: $9.1M/ year

Takk Mckinley: $8.4M/ year

Dalvin Tomlinson: $9.5M/ year

William Jackson: $6.3M/ year

Quinton Dunbar: $17.6M/ year

Artie Burns: $1M/ year

Marcus Maye: $7.5M/ year

Desmond King: $6M/ year

Jonnu Smith: $8M/ year

If the premise is we don’t have Daks’ $31.4M counting against us, plus our current cap space of $24M, then we have $55M to play with. Say we use $5M for a rookie pool, and $15M is used up to extend in house FAs like Aldon Smith and Gregory(who should both come at huge discounts), Michael Gallup, and maybe one of our CBs Lewis/Chido.

That leaves $35M for outside FAs. 

Let’s get playmakers on all 3 levels of the defense. 

We sign Jaquiski Tartt for $7M, Patrick Peterson for $11.4M, Lavonte David for $13.2M, Snacks for $1M, and Jonathan Hankins for $2.4. I know Snacks and Hankins play the same position but it’s best to keep those fat boys on a rotation. 

Do a few restructures to get some wiggle room.

Next, we have Dak on a trade. I assume we could get a 1st round pick and that’s about it. Nobody in the Trevor Lawrence /Justin Fields sweepstakes is going to move on Dak, but a QB needy team outside the sweepstakes might. List of teams that might be interested:

Lions at #7

Panthers at #9

Broncos at #10

Vikings at #13

Patriots at #14

Colts at #18

WTF at # 19

Bucs at #26

Steelers at #28

Saints at #29

The earlier picks might be wishful thinking but I could definitely see at team like the Buccaneers trade pick #26 straight up for Dak. For the sake of argument, and because the draft order isn’t finalized, I’ll average those picks. 

We trade Dak for Round 1 Pick 16! And we won a playoff game with Dalton so I guess our original pick is Round 1 Pick 25.

I’d go BPA with pick 16 unless QB3 is on the board. Our FA acquisitions have set us up nicely to do that. At pick 25, maybe Kyle Trask? Trey Lance? BPA

QBs: Andy Dalton / 

RBs: Zeke / Pollard

TE: Jarwin/ Schultz/ Bell

WRs: Amari/ Gallup/ CD/ Wilson

LT: Tyron Smith

LG: Connor Williams

C Tyler Biadasz

RG: LaEl Collins

RT: Zack Martin

LE: DLaw/ Aldon Smith

3T: Neville GALLIMORE/ T. Hill

1T: Snacks / Jonathan Hankins

RE: Randy Gregory/ Dorance Armstrong/ Annae

SAM: Sean Lee/ Jaylon Smith

Mike: LVE/ Gifford 

WILL: Lavonte David/ Joe Thomas

CB1: Patrick Peterson 

CB2: Trevon Diggs

CB3: Chido

CB4: Anthony Brown

S: Jaquiski Tartt/ Thompson 

S: D.Wilson/ Woods

Plus pick 16 and pick 25 in the first round, in great position for BPA, or move up and get a guy like Wilson for QBotF

Edited by DaBoys

42 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

Didn't know where this should go but since we are talking about money for free agents...

I’ve said it before, the pro personnel dept. of this team doesn’t have a very good track record. Spending money on tier 3-4 FA hasn’t been kind for the most part. 

The amount of money Stephen and Jerry are haggling Dak over on a per year basis is roughly what Daryl Worley and Cameron Erving cost against the cap this year. Makes total sense, where would we be without those two vital contributors?

I think you can poke holes in Dak's game and make the case that it just makes more sense for this team to undergo a complete overhaul over the next couple of offseasons. I don't think you can make the case that our front office/ownership is capable of building a contender with or without a QB on a big contract.

Edited by matt79511
  • Like 2

so far I am totally confused about our cap situation.  I used "over the cap" as my basis and it says we have 24 M in cap space for next season.  In it self that isn't even close enough to tag Dak a second time.  Nor pay him the expected 35 m or 30 m which is what it would be if we give him a contract.  I do see us restructuring DLaws contract, he has a hit of 25. Which might do it. 

I don't see getting Dalton under 12 but it's possible and I wouldn't be surprised if Jones saves the money. 

I like the idea of Tartt, Peterson and maybe Snacks or his clone.   I still think a change in coaching scheme and off season will fix our LB problem if we add in solid draft help round 1 or 2.  

I also don't see Dlaw Zeke and Coop on the roster for the full length of their contracts.