The Florida Gators thread

Scalamania

6 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

To backup Chandler Morris? Would be a curious decision. But I guess I shouldn't set my expectations high with this program.

There is a report saying he requested out of his NLI. This is what his father just told me.

":Jaden has not filed a request for release from Florida. "

Per 247 - I think it might best best to just let this dude go already. Seems like a major headache.

19 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Well, we visited Howard today. Don't know if we're seriously in the race or not. 

EDIT: I'm still baffled. I think we're in it, despite the CBs. But people are not giving away much.

A lot of confidence from some folks that he's going to Ole Miss.

It still doesn't seem like he's going to visit, which is surprising and worrisome given his connection to some members of the staff.

15 minutes ago, Scalamania said:

A lot of confidence from some folks that he's going to Ole Miss.

It still doesn't seem like he's going to visit, which is surprising and worrisome given his connection to some members of the staff.

He is not visiting. And Ole Miss looks to be the leader. But who knows.

Edited by jrry32

But hey, when you've got the chance to land Graham Mertz before bowl season is even over, you have to jump on it. Even if it costs you a high quality QB prospect that you've known since he was in middle school!

The Rashada mess is out of his hands, but Napier has completely bungled the QB situation in the portal. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

But hey, when you've got the chance to land Graham Mertz before bowl season is even over, you have to jump on it. Even if it costs you a high quality QB prospect that you've known since he was in middle school!

The Rashada mess is out of his hands, but Napier has completely bungled the QB situation in the portal. 

Howard not coming here wouldn't be because of Mertz. Agreed on Napier bungling the QB situation. I can only hope that we snag somebody in the spring. But it would have been far better to have somebody who could compete with Mertz in spring ball.

4 hours ago, Scalamania said:

Missing a QB on your bump class - not a great first cycle for CBN. 

I can criticize him for his QB plan in the portal, but a lot of the other stuff was out of his hands. 

Like two months ago we were looking at a QB room of Rashada, Kitna, Miller, Stokes and Brown. Can't blame Napier for one HS recruit filming himself using a racial slur, his backup QB being arrested for CP and the GC being an incompetent mess and costing us the other HS recruit. He was stupid for jumping on Mertz so quickly, but the man kinda can't catch a break either. 

Edited by eggybucsfan31
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

I can criticize him for his QB plan in the portal, but a lot of the other stuff was out of his hands. 

Like two months ago we were looking at a QB room of Rashada, Kitna, Miller, Stokes and Brown. Can't blame Napier for one HS recruit filming himself using a racial slur, his backup QB being arrested for CP and the GC being an incompetent mess and costing us the other HS recruit. He was stupid for jumping on Mertz so quickly, but the man kinda can't catch a break either. 

While I agree with most of what you’re saying at the end of the day CBN is the head coach and he’s going to be the one held responsible for this disaster. 

Honestly, I feel bad for Napier - seems like he was fed a bunch of false promises from the entire administration and it’s all going to blow up in his face. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Scalamania said:

While I agree with most of what you’re saying at the end of the day CBN is the head coach and he’s going to be the one held responsible for this disaster. 

Honestly, I feel bad for Napier - seems like he was fed a bunch of false promises from the entire administration and it’s all going to blow up in his face. 

I'm going to blame him. He's the guy making these choices. He chose to pursue Howard and basically kick Evers to the curb last year. Then, he failed to close Howard last year and failed again to close him this year. He decided to go all in on Rashada in the late spring/summer, got burned by Miami's greater funding, and then decided to continue doubling down on Rashada. And we got burned by that.

In the portal, he decided to make Mertz his guy, despite more proven options having interest in this program. We'll see if this pans out for him or not. But we are in this situation because Napier has made bad decisions and failed to close guys. Yes, the NIL crap doesn't help, but plenty of other coaches are navigating these waters just fine.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I'm going to blame him. He's the guy making these choices. He chose to pursue Howard and basically kick Evers to the curb last year. Then, he failed to close Howard last year and failed again to close him this year. He decided to go all in on Rashada in the late spring/summer, got burned by Miami's greater funding, and then decided to continue doubling down on Rashada. And we got burned by that.

In the portal, he decided to make Mertz his guy, despite more proven options having interest in this program. We'll see if this pans out for him or not. But we are in this situation because Napier has made bad decisions and failed to close guys. Yes, the NIL crap doesn't help, but plenty of other coaches are navigating these waters just fine.

I don't disagree - he's the man, he's the "CEO", he's failed at numerous avenues to bring a quarterback in two years in a row. Obviously the UAA, our terrible AD and whatever dip****s are running GC are also failing him but like I said above he's the one going to take the blame. 

It's going to be an interesting year because I tend to believe that this is going to be a pretty bad team and for my money the pressure is going to be on the whole staff to perform or their time here is going to be brief. 

• Like 1