The Florida Gators thread

Scalamania

6 minutes ago, NateDawg said:

Emory Jones ever going to play, or is he still mostly just legs?

He's mostly legs at this point. At this point (with the state of our OL), it's probably for the best to let him sit and run a couple plays a game. He'd get killed out there. 

I could see him getting a little more action here though. Kinda like how Mullen did with Leak/Tebow, albeit on a far lesser scale.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I said to a friend when Feleipe got hurt, "I feel terrible for the kid, and I am not celebrating his injury. However, this might prove to be a blessing in disguise." We'll see how Kyle plays against defense who have gameplanned for him, but the offense ran a lot more smoothly under him. He's more decisive than Franks and gets the ball out a lot quicker.

Kind of said the same thing to my BIL - hate to see a kid get hurt but we were on the fast track to disappointment him at QB. 

Edited by Scalamania
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Scalamania said:

Kind of said the same thing to my BIL - hate to see a kid get hurt but we were on the fast track to disappointment him at QB. 

Yep. We scored 10 points in 3 quarters with Franks. With Trask, we scored two TDs on three drives (not counting the fluky TD run), and the drive we didn't score on started inside our 5. Kyle still drove us to midfield and allowed us to flip the field. He had a couple plays where he came a bit too close for comfort on potential Ints. But he also barely had any game experience and entered the game down 11 in the 4th quarter on the road. Frankly, it reminded me of the beginning of Ryan Fitzpatrick's career.

Edited by jrry32
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Yep. We scored 10 points in 3 quarters with Franks. With Trask, we scored two TDs on three drives (not counting the fluky TD run), and the drive we didn't score on started inside our 5. Kyle still drove us to midfield and allowed us to flip the field. He had a couple plays where he came a bit too close for comfort on potential Ints. But he also barely had any game experience and entered the game down 11 in the 4th quarter on the road. Frankly, it reminded me of the beginning of Ryan Fitzpatrick's career.

He looked, which was very surprising to me tbh. It'll be interesting to see how the plan to use Emory going forward. 

1 hour ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

IDK Franks couldn't read progressions or what the deal is ... but it's glaring at how we've consistently got guys open over the middle with Trask under center. 

Slow mental processing speed and indecisive. Franks was consistently late to read and even later to throw due to his slow release.

Trask makes decisions quickly, he's patient in the pocket when he can be, he's decisive, and he gets the ball out quickly. He needs to work a bit on his internal clock and forced a couple throws near the end (both were picked), but the offense runs so much more smoothly with him. He's inexperienced. He'll make some mistakes, but he's already performing better than Franks because he's the mentally superior QB.

Edited by jrry32

3 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Slow mental processing speed and indecisive. Franks was consistently late to read and even later to throw due to his slow release.

Trask makes decisions quickly, he's patient in the pocket when he can be, he's decisive, and he gets the ball out quickly. He needs to work a bit on his internal clock and forced a couple throws near the end (both were picked), but the offense runs so much more smoothly with him. He's inexperienced. He'll make some mistakes, but he's already performing better than Franks because he's the mentally superior QB.

I feel like Frank's always thought his arm/taken was better then it actually is. Some of the **** he did on a weekly basis was inexcusable and that's really showing now after 6ish quarters of the offense rolling with Trask under center. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scalamania said:

I feel like Frank's always thought his arm/taken was better then it actually is. Some of the **** he did on a weekly basis was inexcusable and that's really showing now after 6ish quarters of the offense rolling with Trask under center. 

I don't know if Franks was a great practice player and Trask wasn't or if Mullen felt he couldn't yank Franks because of his place as a leader, but it's looking more and more clear that Franks should not have been the starter this year.

• 4 weeks later...

It's time to fire Todd Grantham. He clearly learned nothing from LSU. I'm tired of watching him make the same mistakes week after week and year after year. The fact that 3rd and Grantham is still a thing, and he can't figure out the adjustments to be says it all. Fire Ron English too. He's a bad recruiter and coach. 

Ron English is worse than any coach McElwain employed, even Callahan/Nord, the guy is absolutely clueless. About 90% of Georgia's big plays yesterday were because of a safety screwing up. The safeties have no idea what to do or who to cover on the vast majority of plays, it's not a talent thing either because we've seen Stewart and Davis make plays. 

Also doesn't help that he's a garbage recruiter. The only kid he landed (Steele), was on campus for like 4 months before he bailed. The guy brings nothing. 

41 minutes ago, eggybucsfan31 said:

Ron English is worse than any coach McElwain employed, even Callahan/Nord, the guy is absolutely clueless. About 90% of Georgia's big plays yesterday were because of a safety screwing up. The safeties have no idea what to do or who to cover on the vast majority of plays, it's not a talent thing either because we've seen Stewart and Davis make plays. 

Also doesn't help that he's a garbage recruiter. The only kid he landed (Steele), was on campus for like 4 months before he bailed. The guy brings nothing. 

That's not true. Nord and Kerry Dixon were truly awful coaches. Part of the reason why our safeties struggle is Grantham's scheme is overly complex and doesn't use talent well. He has struggled with blown coverages throughout his career. It was got him fired at UGA. Shawn Davis, for example, is a guy being painfully misused in this system (along with all our CBs). Like Reggie Nelson, if you ask him to take on complex responsibilities and make him think, he's going to struggle (which was the issue in the NFL for Nelson during the early parts of his career). If you let him sit over the top and go get the football, he's going to make plays. He's a missile with great ball-skills (even if he isn't the most reliable tackler). Grantham is asking him to do way too much thinking out there.

Now, Ron English certainly sucks at his job too. He needs to go. Brad Stewart had no situational awareness on that final 3rd down. And that's inexcusable. But Grantham is the biggest part of the problem. He won't adapt his atrocious, overly complicated schemes and continues to misuse our extremely talented CBs. We should have been smothering UGA's WRs with physical man coverage. Instead, we played the passive zone garbage that everybody recognized we couldn't play against Fromm after LSU. We ignored the blueprints UK and SC gave us to stopping UGA's passing game. It was unbelievable.

Also, Trey Dean needs to move to FS this offseason. I think he could be a good FS, but he's not fast enough to play on the boundary or quick enough to play in the slot. We should be using C.J., Wilson, and Kair as our top 3 CBs. 

• 2 weeks later...

So what happens next year? Seems pretty clear to me that Trask is the starter if he returns. I guess Franks will transfer. Hopefully, Emory sticks around and becomes the starter in 2021. Amazing what Mullen has done with a backup QB who didn't even start in high school.