Joe Douglas in the center of the storm

Big T

Joe Douglas I'm sure didn't think when he signed on as GM of the Jets that both year one and year two would be so controversial, but it has.

Douglas has made some errors in judgement at WR, and the add's to the OL were a bit underwhelming, I think he did well in the draft.

Douglas drafted well and I believe the 5th and 6th round picks were absolute steals for the Jets. Becton and Mims have shown a ton of promise, Davis began to come on, Perine has been just Okay. The QB and OL drafted in the 4th round to my knowledge have not played.

Douglas did not hire Gase, another terrible move by Big Mac to finish out his terrible FA's history in Bell.

So Douglas finds himself in year 2 in a storm, Gase will be fired, the Jets have to make the decision on keeping Darnold or building around him.

Keeping the 2nd pick in the draft, trading the draft pick and acquiring more draft capitol, and perhaps just as importantly hiring a new HC.

There are rumblings that the Jets will ride it out with Darnold and build around him, but it doesn't make sense with an unknown commodity and one which has not paid dividends.

Darnold though no fault of his own will be entering year 4 and the Jets if they are smart(should they hold on to Darnold) will not commit to a year 5.

At the same time, will Douglas pass on such a strong QB class? I don't think so.

Now, there are many and for various reasons who think that Fields should be number one and T.Law could fall to the Jets. Wishful thinking at best.

But Douglas does find himself in a favorable position and one which will not put his job in jeopardy.

Keep the pick, draft a QB, the HC job has become very attractive thanks to Fields, and continue the rebuild.

Get what you can for Darnold, and pacify the fan base

Douglas has also shored up next years draft with multiple number 1's a few 5's and 6's as well.

Douglas may find himself in the eye of a hurricane or storm, but he has the wherewithal to not only ride it out, but to see calmer waters on the horizon.

• 2 weeks later...

Now that the Jets have signed who seems to be a culture changer as coach. 

We should be careful to understand why the Jets have failed in the past.....The GM's

Bowels and Gase were hamstrung with poor players, not enough blue chip players, and terrible drafts and free agent signings.

Joe Douglas in our post season has made another quality move in signing Saleh.

Unlike Idzik or MacCagnan he can ill afford to go down the same path of incompetence when it came to the draft and FA.

Douglas doesn't seem to be one who will build a team with FA, but instead build through the draft.

I constantly see the fanbase here signing FA RB, WR's, TE's, etc.

Now it is true the Jets need at wide receiver is in the danger zone, the fact is they have no, NO, blue chip WR. I expect that to change both in FA and the Draft.

I expect the Jets to have 2 opening day blue chip WR's for whoever the QB is.

Next, the Jets need to draft a game changing RB be it in round one or round 2

Saleh will only be as successful as the talent  he is being surrounded with.

Again this falls on Joe Douglas, so you see the importance of all that Joe Douglas does.

As Joe goes so go the Jets no matter who the coach is.

You build through the draft. Douglas did well his first year, and I expect him to do well this year filling many of the holes the Jets now suffer with.

I can see Joe signing a FA blue chip WR and OL, but that's it, unless Saleh sees a ER who he could transform or utilize and get the best our of to help our weakness at that position.

But make no mistake Joe Douglas is the straw that stirs the drink.

I don’t disagree with a lot of what you say but you have to put a little more responsibility on the coaching staff. Yes, we need the players to play well regardless of any system that is in place but it is up to the coaches to develop the players and put them in a position to succeed. That was the downfall of gase. Saleh and his staff need to have an O and D that plays to the strengths of the players on the team even if it is not what they may want long term.  Then get the players that the system that want to install. That takes time. We can’t gase this. 

gase - v.  The stubborn insistence by an egotistical supervisor to force subordinates to perform tasks they are incapable of performing. Example:  Dad is really gaseing 7 year old Nancy to bench 200 pounds.

Because of all the speculation around Watson, and the more than subtle hints at his desiring to become a Jet?

Is it possible Joe Douglas is working the phones OR is he all in on Darnold?

Seems to me at the end of the season he was non committal on Darnold and if they are betwixt the two of either drafting a qb or trading for one it does not bode well for Darnold as far as his tenure here is concerned.

13 hours ago, Big T said:

Because of all the speculation around Watson, and the more than subtle hints at his desiring to become a Jet?

Is it possible Joe Douglas is working the phones OR is he all in on Darnold?

Seems to me at the end of the season he was non committal on Darnold and if they are betwixt the two of either drafting a qb or trading for one it does not bode well for Darnold as far as his tenure here is concerned.

The Jets starting QB will be either be Darnold or Watson. I think they will give Darnold a chance again but the Watson thing was a surprise to all and JD will get him IF he has a chance. I don't think JD or Saleh like any QB in this draft at 2 except T Law and he should go #1.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, jetjuice said:

And who the hell is playing QB? 

For now, a free agent from the outside. There will be lots available. 

Eventually, somebody that we draft either with the 23rd pick or early 2nd rounder and we groom PROPERLY. Not throw to the wolves and say "save us oh franchise quarterback, won't you save us".

The absolute worst idea is to draft a kid at No. 2 and think he is ready to lead THIS franchise right away. There is only one quarterback who would be ready for that task and he is going first overall.

1 hour ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

For now, a free agent from the outside. There will be lots available. 

Eventually, somebody that we draft either with the 23rd pick or early 2nd rounder and we groom PROPERLY. Not throw to the wolves and say "save us oh franchise quarterback, won't you save us".

The absolute worst idea is to draft a kid at No. 2 and think he is ready to lead THIS franchise right away. There is only one quarterback who would be ready for that task and he is going first overall.

I see, so you're more of a "build the house" first guy and then insert QB last?

Not sure I agree with that last sentiment either. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, jetjuice said:

I see, so you're more of a "build the house" first guy and then insert QB last?

Not sure I agree with that last sentiment either. 

I'm more of a "stop f$%&ing up" guy. We just picked a QB 3rd overall three years ago, and immediately anointed him the savior. Let's not do it again, so soon after the last one ok? 

That's what I am about. If we had the first pick, I would be singing a different tune. Lawrence (in my estimation) is ready for Week 1. He is ready for the spotlight. He is ready for the challenge. I feel he is even more ready than Burrow was, and Burrow was ready. 

As it turned out, Herbert was pretty much ready too. But the Justin Herbert's are rare. Very rare.

Let's err on the side of caution here. 

12 hours ago, jetfuel34 said:

The Jets starting QB will be either be Darnold or Watson. I think they will give Darnold a chance again but the Watson thing was a surprise to all and JD will get him IF he has a chance. I don't think JD or Saleh like any QB in this draft at 2 except T Law and he should go #1.

I messed up LOL, got distracted with something else and never finished my thoughts. LOL

Most excited I've been for the direction of this team in over a decade. First time I've felt like we have a gm and hc that I'm excited about.  

Saleh presser was A+, smart,  articulate,  gonna help sign players because players want to play for this guy. He sounds like a real leader, someone who is positive and get try to face these demons of a losing culture.  I.like that he hired coordinators to do the coordinating.   I didnt want Saleh because of how he was a a dc. I just feel like he can be a hc, a leader for a football team. He needs to work with the entire team to build a winning culture. 

I'm excited for the future,  something I haven't been in a while. Night and day difference from gase opening presser to Saleh. 

• Like 1

Without a doubt, this is the most important year for Joe Douglas as it pertains to his bringing the Jets out of the dark era's of days gone by.

Perhaps the most important going back to the days of drafting Joe W. Namath as G.M..

He will have to navigate the myriad of other teams wanting to enlist the services of Watson.

He will have to navigate in the most important draft of his tenure if the Watson saga falls through.

He will have to decide if Darnold is worth the risk of passing on Wilson (projected to be the pick for the Jets)

He will have to have another good - excellent draft to strengthen the main core of players drafted over the past 2 years.

He will be judged on if Saleh was the right choice for the job of H.C..

Joe Douglas to his credit has shown remarkable leadership, and strength through his quiet demeanor.

He is methodical in his approach to FA (if were going to be honest here, didn't work out too well).

Joe has learned from his first year as G.M. that you can't sleep on FA bluechip players, but on the other hand enriched the Jets position when it comes to the cap.

Joe has put the Jets in one year draft rich and cap rich, hopefully this will turn out beneficial sooner than later.