Atlanta Braves Mega Thread

coors

On 1/12/2019 at 8:07 PM, devils1854 said:

15.Bryse Wilson||RHP||AAA

Wilson is more than likely a reliever in the majors. He does have a little chance to become a starter(thats why he is this high on the list), but he has to improve greatly, and he has to do it soon. His fastball is good. It plays as a plus pitch most of the time because he can locate it well, and it has a nice sink to it. His second and third pitches are where he needs to get better. His slider can be good, but he has no consistency with it, and his change up really is just a show pitch. He will definitely get his chance at the rotation in Gwinnett this season, but the back end of a bullpen might be the best place for his repertoire, and his mentality.

11.Kyle Muller||LHP||AA

Muller might be the most overlooked pitching prospect in the system. After being drafted, he was kept in rookie ball for two years, and played in Rome for two different years. This is probably because of his slow development, and because after being drafted, he lost a good bit from his fastball. He worked on the fastball, and in 2018, the numbers went up, and in turn, he went through three different levels. Its not going to hit triple digits, but he can sit anywhere from 91-94, and reach back for a little more when needed. I think using the kid gloves on him has really helped to develop command, because I think he can locate all three of his pitches well, even at his size. Im not sure he will ever get his chance in Atlanta, but I do think he is developing into a major league starter.

Just spent four days down in Disney watching the team. Both of these guys really stood out.

Muller is bigger than anyone in the organization not named Austin Riley, and he is almost his size. He is all of that 6'6 250 pounds and its all muscle. Him, Wentz, and Anderson are always together and he dwarfs them, and Wentz is 6'5 220. Just seeing him makes me want to move him up my rankings, and I think I am. He's put the work in, and him hitting 99-100 at Driveline in the offseason looks to be no joke.

Wilson is another guy that looks better in person. I still question some of his off speed stuff, but I do think he has a better chance to be a starter than I first gave credit. 

On 3/13/2019 at 10:17 PM, WizardHawk said:

Haven't checked in on much of any spring training. Heard Pache is doing well. Heard Allard probably needs to be moved before he exhausts all his value. Acuna is doing Acuna things.

Who else has looked good/not good? 

The good

• Ronald Acuna is going to be a top 5 player in baseball in 2019
  • McCann has played well in short stints. We could use 3 catchers most of the season to get him more ABs with Flowers still starting around 100-110 games because of his defense.
  • Dansby hasnt played much but you can see he has made adjustments in his swing, and I think its going to payoff. At least 3 fWAR this season.
  • Muller is a horse. He impressed everyone in his month with the big camp and is going to jump a lot of guys and be in the majors soon.
  • Wilson is right behind Muller. He is going to be a major league pitcher for a long time.
  • Touki, Wright, Fried all have done very good things so far and a few bad. All three will pitch a lot in Atlanta this season.
  • Oh yeah, Pache is becoming a stud.

The Bad

• Gausman is injured. It hasnt come out yet(injury), but he has looked very bad in two starts and only hit 86 last start. I bet he misses a lot of time.
  • Soroka is hurt. He is getting passed by.
  • Donaldson still isnt ready and I have heard from a couple people in Florida that he is a huge turd and the clubhouse hates him. He might not be a total disaster, but he will not play more than one year in Atlanta.
  • Duvall sucks still
  • Allard is Allard and is done

• Flowers, Freeman, Albies, Swanson, Donaldson, Acuna, Inciarte, Markakis
  • McCann, Lopez, Culberson, Camargo, Duvall
  • Teheran, Newcomb, Fried, Wright
  • Vizcaino, Winkler, Venters, Sobotka, Biddle, Caryle, Freeman, Dayton
  • Folty-will take the 5th starter spot after a week, Minter-will be back when ready after car accident, O'Day-isnt ready not sure of timetable, Lopez/Freeman sent down.

Thats my opening day 25 predictions.

Touki, Wilson, Allard, Gohara, Parsons-AAA/ Anderson, Muller, Weigel, Wentz, Davidson-AA/ Ynoa, Tarnok, De La Cruz, Withrow, Javier-A+

Edited by devils1854
  • Like 1

37 minutes ago, WizardHawk said:

How about the Riley kid? I seen he played some outfield couple days ago. 

He hasnt struck out but about 20% of the time, which is great, but(going off how I feel about him) he isnt a starting caliber position player in the majors. He has just pretty much been there this spring. He has gotten more plate appearances this spring than anyone else(by 6), and he has a .608 OPS. Now I know spring stats mean nothing, but he was bad in AAA last year. He is at least a year away from even sniffing the majors.

• Like 1

On 3/14/2019 at 11:53 PM, devils1854 said:

He hasnt struck out but about 20% of the time, which is great, but(going off how I feel about him) he isnt a starting caliber position player in the majors. He has just pretty much been there this spring. He has gotten more plate appearances this spring than anyone else(by 6), and he has a .608 OPS. Now I know spring stats mean nothing, but he was bad in AAA last year. He is at least a year away from even sniffing the majors.

i dont know if you can say he was bad in gwinnett, just not a top prospect. I mean, he put up a a 127 wRC+ at 21 in AAA.... thats not too shabby. Ultimately i think he he doesnt cut it though, he has holes in his swing and hes either gonna strike out way too much or he'll cut down on it but lose power. 

I could see a rough few weeks to start the season unless the young starters really impress. Folty hopefully will be full strength mid april but gausman doesmt look good and newk is all over the place. Granted its only spring training but thats our top three starters...

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, dante9876 said:

Every fan base say the samething about their own fans. If the fan base cares it comes with the territory. 

While thats probably true, atlanta fans are notoriously poor across all sports. Just seems kinda silly to be so neagtive after 3 games, especially when a poor start was easy to see with the injuries we were starting with.

On a positive note, Dansby looks pretty darn good to start the year. Yes, im aware its 5 games in.