Favorite Halloween Movies

RavensTillIDie

Here's 31 perfect Halloween Movies ranked from best to less-best: 

1. The Thing.  The Ultimate in Alien Terror.  Obviously. 
2. The Innocents(1961): The only other horror movie I have rated 10/10
3. Diabolique: Tricks abound in this thriller.  Perfect for Halloween.  
4. It (2017): Already a classic
5. Sleepy Hollow: When Burton was still a master of his craft
6. The Conjuring: I think this movie could be marked as a renaissance point for the horror genre.
7. The Cabin in the Woods: The pinnacle of horror satire. 
8. Nosferatu (1922): Pay your respect to the history of the genre
9. Phantasm: If any movie should be remade, it's this one.  Classic, but a little dated.
10. The Return of the Living Dead: The most underrated zombie movie of all time in my opinion. 
11, 12, 13. Slither, Alien Raiders, Splinter: Some 80's parasite horror homages.
14. Last Shift: Best independent horror movie since at least Phantasm. 
15. The Changeling: Underrated, under seen haunting movie.
16. Scream: Perfectly captures a perfect tone for Halloween. 
17. Alien: The Penultimate in Alien Terror.
18. A Nightmare on Elm Street: One of the best-conceived icons of horror.  Too bad they didn't know how to handle Freddy's franchise.
19.  It Follows: Should probably already be considered a classic.
20. The Conjuring 2: Not as good as the first, but still beats most other blockbuster horror.
21. The Exorcist: Don't even have to explain this choice.
22. Poltergeist: 1982 was a good year for horror. 
23. An American Werewolf in London: Second best practical effects probably.
24. The Evil Dead: Deadites and Halloween are a perfect match.
25. Insidious: I think this franchise gets a bit too much grief.  It had some legitimately good scares. 
26. The Others: Oscar worthy.
27. The Mist: A little bleak, but great Lovecraftian horror.
28. In the Mouth of Madness: Also a little bleak, but also great Lovecraftian horror.
29. The Blair Witch Project: A slow burn to one of the best final images in horror history.  Fight me. 
30. The Nightmare Before Christmas: As you prepare for Halloween to end, start thinking about Christmas.
31. Krampus: End Halloween with a perfect blend between Halloween and Christmas

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

6. The Conjuring: I think this movie could be marked as a renaissance point for the horror genre.

Completely agree, had I been watching my 13 Nights by myself It would have been on there, but a few of the group cant handle this movie.

Most of your list was among my big list of Halloween movies.The Conjuring, Sleepy Hallow, Poltergeist, The Evil Dead and Slither were ones that I really wanted to incorperate

On 10/17/2017 at 7:29 PM, devils1854 said:

Die Hard is a movie for all occasions. Christmas. Halloween. A first date with a special lady.

No, sir.  I believe the film-for-all-seasons and holidays you're looking for is Army of Darkness.

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:40 AM, fluhartz said:

Edward Scissorhands 

The Adams Family

The Witches of Eastwick 

Good call with The Addams Family.  I'm watching The Nightmare Before Christmas and Frankenweenie right now.

Always wanting to watch Zombieland around Halloween too.

8 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Here's 31 perfect Halloween Movies ranked from best to less-best: 

1. The Thing.  The Ultimate in Alien Terror.  Obviously. 
2. The Innocents(1961): The only other horror movie I have rated 10/10
3. Diabolique: Tricks abound in this thriller.  Perfect for Halloween.  
4. It (2017): Already a classic
5. Sleepy Hollow: When Burton was still a master of his craft
7. The Cabin in the Woods: The pinnacle of horror satire. 
8. Nosferatu (1922): Pay your respect to the history of the genre
9. Phantasm: If any movie should be remade, it's this one.  Classic, but a little dated.
10. The Return of the Living Dead: The most underrated zombie movie of all time in my opinion. 
11, 12, 13. Slither, Alien Raiders, Splinter: Some 80's parasite horror homages.
14. Last Shift: Best independent horror movie since at least Phantasm. 
15. The Changeling: Underrated, under seen haunting movie.
16. Scream: Perfectly captures a perfect tone for Halloween. 
17. Alien: The Penultimate in Alien Terror.
18. A Nightmare on Elm Street: One of the best-conceived icons of horror.  Too bad they didn't know how to handle Freddy's franchise.
19.  It Follows: Should probably already be considered a classic.
20. The Conjuring 2: Not as good as the first, but still beats most other blockbuster horror.
21. The Exorcist: Don't even have to explain this choice.
22. Poltergeist: 1982 was a good year for horror. 
23. An American Werewolf in London: Second best practical effects probably.
24. The Evil Dead: Deadites and Halloween are a perfect match.
25. Insidious: I think this franchise gets a bit too much grief.  It had some legitimately good scares. 
26. The Others: Oscar worthy.
27. The Mist: A little bleak, but great Lovecraftian horror.
28. In the Mouth of Madness: Also a little bleak, but also great Lovecraftian horror.
29. The Blair Witch Project: A slow burn to one of the best final images in horror history.  Fight me. 
30. The Nightmare Before Christmas: As you prepare for Halloween to end, start thinking about Christmas.
31. Krampus: End Halloween with a perfect blend between Halloween and Christmas

That is an excellent list. Probably would add Halloween and Trick r Treat, but you got most of my top movies.

1. Scream
  2. Monster Squad
  3. The Cabin in the Woods
  4. Nosferatu
  5. Trick r Treat
  6. It Follows
  7. Shaun of the Dead
  8. Pan's Labyrnth
  9. Alien/Aliens
  10. The Thing
  11. The Witch
  12. A Nightmare on Elm Street
  13. It
  14. Halloween
  15. Krampus
  16. Signs
  17. Sleepy Hollow
  18. John Carpenter's Vampires
  19. Tucker and Dale vs Evil
  20. Evil Dead/Evil Dead 2/Army of Darkness
  21. The Conjuring
  22. Club Dread
  23. Halloween H20
  24. The Strangers
  25. Tales from the Crypt:Demon Knight

I'm just not as high on Trick R Treat and Halloween as everybody else is.  I saw Trick R Treat a while back, I should probably watch it again.  And Carpenter's Halloween is probably the slasher archetype (even though there were slashers before it), I just... I hate slashers.  Halloween and Friday the 13th are probably the only two horror franchises I haven't watched fully, and I liked Halloween 3 more than Halloween. 

11 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'm just not as high on Trick R Treat and Halloween as everybody else is.  I saw Trick R Treat a while back, I should probably watch it again.  And Carpenter's Halloween is probably the slasher archetype (even though there were slashers before it), I just... I hate slashers.  Halloween and Friday the 13th are probably the only two horror franchises I haven't watched fully, and I liked Halloween 3 more than Halloween. 

Im very much the opposite, I think the original Halloween is great, it is what a slasher should be (no motive, just a force of evil) and everything after that becomes garbage (until a fun little romp of H2O, which still isnt great)

Archived