Steelers to sign QB Dwayne Haskins

RaidersAreOne

Haskins was never worth a 1st round pick to begin with.    Nor that he didnt show promise, but he was throwing to wide open receivers most of the time his only full year as starter.

Honestly, from a pure talent outlook, I put him just ahead of Mason Rudolph.   You could argue Haskins has more upside, but I never viewed him better than a 3rd round talent.

I dont think Haskins will do anything more than possibly be our 3rd string QB for a year.

• Like 2

Agree with 43M on his current 'talent' or 'value' level...why are people even talking about this as news?? Why not the other 3? Because he was a 1st Rd pick a couple of years ago? Sorry, but this is the level he currently is at...signed with 3 others to futures contracts...

https://www.steelers.com/news/steelers-sign-four-to-reserve-future-contracts

Notice he didn't get his own article. This dude is SOOO far away from even being relevant, that you have knuckle heads on the News forum acting like the Steelers just invested heavily in him...we didn't invest jack...he's as irrelevant as all the futures contracts guys we sign over the years, and his chance of breaking out is no better than any of them. Doesn't mean he won't, but at this point, to me, it's 90% chance he's cut before start of next season, 9.5% chance he's a 3rd string backup next season, and a .5% chance he becomes Ben's heir apparent...wait, make that 9.9% 3rd string, and .1% he becomes our Full Time starter...EVER...

Anyone...tell me the last 1st Rd pick that was cut within 2 years of being drafted, that's amounted to anywhere near their draft position? Now, compare that number to the rest...I'll happily eat a plate of crow in a couple of years if I'm wrong...

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

The twitter post by Rudolph emphatically stating that Haskins isn't his replacement was laughable at best.

Rudolph has proven no ability to be anything but a blowout relief guy. 

(That’s a joke about the Matavius Bryant JuJu drafting)

• Like 1

I’m not trying to convince anyone about Haskins future in this league, but he got cut after being super immature by a new coaching regime that didn’t draft him. It wasn’t just 1.5 years in the NFL, oh this dude sucks. 

I mean, he very well still may absolutely suck - I am personally not high on him. But the decision to cut him was because A) he wasn’t coach Rivera’s draft pick and B) he was too immature to understand the gravity of the decision not to wear a mask at a strip club during a pandemic that affects the vulnerable while his head coach is currently getting treatment for cancer. 

7 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I’m not trying to convince anyone about Haskins future in this league, but he got cut after being super immature by a new coaching regime that didn’t draft him. It wasn’t just 1.5 years in the NFL, oh this dude sucks. 

I mean, he very well still may absolutely suck - I am personally not high on him. But the decision to cut him was because A) he wasn’t coach Rivera’s draft pick and B) he was too immature to understand the gravity of the decision not to wear a mask at a strip club during a pandemic that affects the vulnerable while his head coach is currently getting treatment for cancer. 

And that's fine...but the absence of success, based upon those factors, doesn't mean that due to the situation changes, he'll be better. I think it speaks volumes that that they threw in his signing into the same article as three other PS/end-of-rotation-level players being signed...he's nothing more, right now, than that...a future's prospect; these dudes get dumped all the time, and the fact they obviously could not find a single trade partner, if they even tried, or that he cleared waivers...easily...is more telling than looking back at former draft status/hype and saying "Hey, we just got another 1st Rd pick on the roster!"  Simply, this is more, 'non-news', than it is, 'news'...

I look at it like you’re playing poker. You have a pair of 3’s and can get 5-1 odds by calling. 99% of the time your going to lose, but sometimes the flop comes up 3-3-ace. If you don’t take the shot you have no chance. We have absolutely no risk in this signing. If he wakes up and decides he wants to become a pro, you probably have a pretty good backup that’s young, not contract intensive, and gives you a chance to win if the starter is hurt. Can he grow into a starter, maybe. He’s got arm strength, if he can develop awareness and game management who knows. 

2 hours ago, Ward4HOF said:

I think it speaks volumes that that they threw in his signing into the same article as three other PS/end-of-rotation-level players being signed...he's nothing more, right now, than that...a future's prospect

I think you are looking way too much into this. That article was just a simple press release and I don’t know that anyone, inside or outside, the organization views it as more than a dart throw.

6 hours ago, wwhickok said:

The twitter post by Rudolph emphatically stating that Haskins isn't his replacement was laughable at best.

Rudolph has proven no ability to be anything but a blowout relief guy. 

he was much better vs the browns than ben wasn't he?

10 hours ago, Dcash4 said:

While you arent wrong, there is good reason why there wasnt much demand for him after he was cut.   He simply was never THAT good.     If Haskins was truly a first round talent cut after 2 years, most teams wouldve been going after him hard, but as far as I know, there were only like 3 teams showing any interest at all.    We have seen teams rush out to get guys who were underperforming and were trouble makers when the talent is there....but with Haskins, I dont think most teams see much upside, which speaks volumes. considering he plays the most important position, is only 24 and is SEEMINGLY still in a window where he has upside.    The fact that he drew so little interest tells me that most teams likely never saw him as a super talented player, but rather a one year college wonder who played in a weak BIG TEN and most of his passing success came from beating up bad defenses and throwing to mostly open WRs.

Again, Im not saying Haskins has no upside, but he was pretty overdrafted to begin with, so I dont think there was really that much upside to being with, despite his draft position. 

11 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I mean... We lost both games so...

but it's how we lost thats the problem. Was it 4INT's? Not good, I preferred the Mason game much more, but it's a moot point. Too bad we can't trade for Stafford , instead a few more years of this.