The biggest move that could change our defense

HeydudemanG

I feel like this is worthy of its own thread.

I've seen a lot of people talk about what moves we should make this off-season.

And I think I know the one this that could change our defense around.

Interior defensive line.

If we get pierce and Hunter back and somehow got a powerhouse Defensive tackle. Not only whoever else starts at defensive end, but the entire defense will see a huge improvement.

A lot of people agree we need D-line help. But the point I'm trying to make is Defensive tackle is the number one need on this defense and we could survive with somebody like Everson Griffin for cheap if we had two disrupters in the middle to clear things up for our linebackers.

Do you agree or am I crazy?

I think with Pierce coming in, along with Hunter returning a pass rushing threat from the 3T could be huge.  Perhaps they get another run stuffer and put in Mata'afa on passing downs with Wonnum.

It would be great for Lynch to take a huge leap forward, but in the draft I like Twyman and looking into Marlon Tuipolotu.

• Like 1

I think having Pierce and Hunter back full strength will be huge...but mainly, I want Zimmer to give up calling the defense.  His tendencies are becoming well known by opponents.

On 1/21/2021 at 7:22 PM, HeydudemanG said:

I feel like this is worthy of its own thread.

I've seen a lot of people talk about what moves we should make this off-season.

And I think I know the one this that could change our defense around.

Interior defensive line.

If we get pierce and Hunter back and somehow got a powerhouse Defensive tackle. Not only whoever else starts at defensive end, but the entire defense will see a huge improvement.

A lot of people agree we need D-line help. But the point I'm trying to make is Defensive tackle is the number one need on this defense and we could survive with somebody like Everson Griffin for cheap if we had two disrupters in the middle to clear things up for our linebackers.

Do you agree or am I crazy?

If you get a DT that is good enough, he can make a huge difference.  Back in the late 80's when we had Millard and Doleman terrorizing QBs, there was at least one year when the Vikings had the #1 defense in the league, and I can hardly remember the names of any of the players in the secondary.  Having those two right next to each other on the D-line made it incredibly hard on offenses because both of them were so good they would have commanded a double team on their own.  Putting them together and they were nearly unstoppable. 

The Vikings have a player in Danielle Hunter that is almost on that level.  It sounds like Pierce is more of a run stuffer, so what you will need is a very good pass rushing 3-technique next to Pierce and at least a solid DE on the other side.  I'm not sure if Mike Zimmer will ever spend the capital required to get a player like that, though.  He seems to prefer using those high round picks on secondary players and then works to develop D-linemen that were drafted in the mid rounds.  I would have preferred seeing it done the opposite way, with more emphasis on the trenches, but then again, it's hard to argue with the success Zim had had, at least in the regular season. 

I brought it up a while ago, but depending on how nuts we go with some veteran contracts this offseason, and where the cap ends up, the BIG move on the interior for me would be to sign Sheldon Rankins away from the Saints and their even worse cap situation. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, RpMc said:

I brought it up a while ago, but depending on how nuts we go with some veteran contracts this offseason, and where the cap ends up, the BIG move on the interior for me would be to sign Sheldon Rankins away from the Saints and their even worse cap situation. 

Yes, please.

Edited by SemperFeist

1 hour ago, RpMc said:

Sign Rankins and draft Gregory Rousseau.

OR

Sign Trey Hendrickson and draft Christian Barmore.

Either way, I would be extremely happy with our front line. We might even be able to move down in the 1st and pick up a 2nd round pick if we decide to draft Barmore.

3 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

If you get a DT that is good enough, he can make a huge difference.  Back in the late 80's when we had Millard and Doleman terrorizing QBs, there was at least one year when the Vikings had the #1 defense in the league, and I can hardly remember the names of any of the players in the secondary.  Having those two right next to each other on the D-line made it incredibly hard on offenses because both of them were so good they would have commanded a double team on their own.  Putting them together and they were nearly unstoppable. 

The Vikings have a player in Danielle Hunter that is almost on that level.  It sounds like Pierce is more of a run stuffer, so what you will need is a very good pass rushing 3-technique next to Pierce and at least a solid DE on the other side.  I'm not sure if Mike Zimmer will ever spend the capital required to get a player like that, though.  He seems to prefer using those high round picks on secondary players and then works to develop D-linemen that were drafted in the mid rounds.  I would have preferred seeing it done the opposite way, with more emphasis on the trenches, but then again, it's hard to argue with the success Zim had had, at least in the regular season. 

Well, the Floyd Peters D and Zimmer's D require the same things.    With Doleman, the was a guy named Joey Browner prowling deep with Carl Lee at one of the CB slots.   I think Studwell was the MLB with Mike Merriweather next to him.   But what really made that D Line was Hank Thomas alongside Millard.   Noga  wasn't a slouch at the other DE.  

If I recall correctly, they were #1 a couple years, held opponents to less than 100 yards rushing for nearly 40 games straight and scored almost as many TDs as the offense one year.   

Not many Ds in the past 30 years have done that.    This Vikes D could be really good next but they need studs back and  a couple sets of fresh legs.  

I like Zimmer's D, and with Pierce, Hunter, Smith, Kendrick, Gladney and Dantzler, they have a good core.   Wonnum could be the other DE, but talented competition wouldn't hurt.   I'm really hoping they get a truly stud 3 Tech like Millard or K-Will.   I'll certainly take a John Randle type, but each of those is tough to find . . . Barware seems the obvious one at 14, but is he the right one?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ArcticNorseman said:

Well, the Floyd Peters D and Zimmer's D require the same things.    With Doleman, the was a guy named Joey Browner prowling deep with Carl Lee at one of the CB slots.   I think Studwell was the MLB with Mike Merriweather next to him.   But what really made that D Line was Hank Thomas alongside Millard.   Noga  wasn't a slouch at the other DE.  

If I recall correctly, they were #1 a couple years, held opponents to less than 100 yards rushing for nearly 40 games straight and scored almost as many TDs as the offense one year.   

Not many Ds in the past 30 years have done that.    This Vikes D could be really good next but they need studs back and  a couple sets of fresh legs.  

I like Zimmer's D, and with Pierce, Hunter, Smith, Kendrick, Gladney and Dantzler, they have a good core.   Wonnum could be the other DE, but talented competition wouldn't hurt.   I'm really hoping they get a truly stud 3 Tech like Millard or K-Will.   I'll certainly take a John Randle type, but each of those is tough to find . . . Barware seems the obvious one at 14, but is he the right one?

You have a great memory.  I didn't realize Joey Browner was still playing then.  I was thinking he was a little earlier.   I always thought of Hank Thomas as being solid, but not spectacular.  He and Al Noga were a good pair, but Millard and Doleman were otherworldly.