First Mock Attempt

Joe

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

I think the question is signing Dalvin Tomlinson to what is likely going to be a big contract and then drafting Barmore.  That is a lot of resources to the IDL that on the 3rd down are probably only 1 on the field.

I agree it is going large on the DL, but the Packers do that sometimes, like when they got the Smiths and then drafted Gary.

41 minutes ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

If you read the mock, you will see the first round pick is Christian Barmore.

Clark, Barmore and, for example, Zadarius Smith, might generate some inside havoc. The improving Gary makes that work better, as he and Preston could come from the outside. Tomlinson obviously isn't a pass rusher, but he is someone who can sub in for Clark when he needs to take a few snaps rest........... and Clark has been playing too many snaps in a game to be at peak effectiveness.

You may think that a DL room of 4 is enough, but it would fill me with horror. I want at least five and six isn't a bad idea. DL need rotating to be at their best.

I read the mock. Our starting CB is either Josh Jackson or Israel Mukuamu... While either an 8m a year DL, or a 1st round pick see maybe 8 snaps a game. Doesn't seem like a great use of resources to me.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I read the mock. Our starting CB is either Josh Jackson or Israel Mukuamu... While either an 8m a year DL, or a 1st round pick see maybe 8 snaps a game. Doesn't seem like a great use of resources to me.

You missed the fact that we MAY go to a 4-3 look vs. a 3-4 look; hence the heavier IDL. I really wanted to go Paulson Adebo in Rd. 2, but TDN has Barmore as their 38th ranked prospect at the moment, which strongly suggests he may be there at 29; personally, I could see us trading up for him, but the fact that he needs to develop some more technique pushes him down the boards thus making him viable at 29. I almost made a trade down and then a trade up in the 2nd to get Tufele and Radunz in that round, however(as usual) the 3rd round looks like a barren wasteland in regards to value whereas the first 50-60 picks on Day 3 look much better IMO. We need to address IDL, OT, and CB within the first three picks. No, Josh Jackson is not a starting CB...

If I had my way, I'd grab Tufele, Radunz, and Adebo within the first 100 picks, but that's highly unrealistic. The Tomlinson signing, I would assume, would be relatively cheap and would fill a role along the IDL as the rookies catch up to pace. Maybe I should've explained that a bit better. To be frank, Clark, Keke, and maybe Lowry should be the only IDL coming back from our IDL group this year, yet Snacks ate up a ton of space in the playoffs which is why I brought him back. Billy Winn also put in some good reps as well before he got hurt.

Edited by Joe

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

That's my thoughts as well.  You probably sign Dalvin Tomlinson to a pretty good sized deal, and then turn around draft a DL with your first round pick.  Unless you're committing yourself to running a LOT of 3 DL looks, I'm not sure how you justify using that kind of capital both in terms of cap space and draft picks on the DL.  Meanwhile, you've let your starting boundary corner go and you're rolling with Josh Jackson (a guy who was a healthy scratch when Kevin King played) or a fourth round rookie CB.  That's not really a recipe for success.

7 hours ago, Joe said:

You missed the fact that we MAY go to a 4-3 look vs. a 3-4 look; hence the heavier IDL. I really wanted to go Paulson Adebo in Rd. 2, but TDN has Barmore as their 38th ranked prospect at the moment, which strongly suggests he may be there at 29; personally, I could see us trading up for him, but the fact that he needs to develop some more technique pushes him down the boards thus making him viable at 29. I almost made a trade down and then a trade up in the 2nd to get Tufele and Radunz in that round, however(as usual) the 3rd round looks like a barren wasteland in regards to value whereas the first 50-60 picks on Day 3 look much better IMO. We need to address IDL, OT, and CB within the first three picks. No, Josh Jackson is not a starting CB...

If I had my way, I'd grab Tufele, Radunz, and Adebo within the first 100 picks, but that's highly unrealistic. The Tomlinson signing, I would assume, would be relatively cheap and would fill a role along the IDL as the rookies catch up to pace. Maybe I should've explained that a bit better. To be frank, Clark, Keke, and maybe Lowry should be the only IDL coming back from our IDL group this year, yet Snacks ate up a ton of space in the playoffs which is why I brought him back. Billy Winn also put in some good reps as well before he got hurt.

We're not going 4-3 look, sounds like LaFleur loves the Fangio 3-4.

• Like 1

What I liked....if you are going to release Wagner (which I'm not a fan of), you give his money to Lindsley and bring him back.  If that cash math works out, I like it.

I loved the second round pick.  I mean LOVED!

First round pick is fine, but there was severe overkill on the DL.  And nothing came in for immediate help at corner.

As stated, it's way too heavy on the IDL and way too light on the corner position.

I'd suggest amending the mock and taking a corner in the first round.  Remove Tomlinson (because you got Snacks), and find a FA corner.

7 hours ago, vegas492 said:

What I liked....if you are going to release Wagner (which I'm not a fan of), you give his money to Lindsley and bring him back.  If that cash math works out, I like it.

I loved the second round pick.  I mean LOVED!

First round pick is fine, but there was severe overkill on the DL.  And nothing came in for immediate help at corner.

As stated, it's way too heavy on the IDL and way too light on the corner position.

I'd suggest amending the mock and taking a corner in the first round.  Remove Tomlinson (because you got Snacks), and find a FA corner.

The Radunz pick was essentially Wagner's replacement and again, I wanted to go Paulson Adebo in the 2nd but Radunz makes WAAAAAAY too much sense for our offense and its approach. I also thought about trading down, going with Radunz first and then CB second, but we need impact players along that IDL other than Kenny and Barmore is that guy. 

10 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

We're not going 4-3 look, sounds like LaFleur loves the Fangio 3-4.

I figured as much, but I still think we see multiple sub-packages and a base defense with more IDL. 

Put it this way: we have Kenny, Keke, and Lowry under contract. We list Lancaster, Snacks, Winn, and MAdams as members of the roster but all of them are NOT under contract. So we bring in Tomlinson, the two draft picks, and Snacks back. That basically keeps us at 7 IDL.