Ravens Rundown: Week 6 2017

drd23

52 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

I'm pretty much done with Tony Jefferson already. It's been 6 weeks, and has the guy made a single notable play yet? 2 weeks in a row now I've seen him get beat in coverage for a long TD, and it happened twice yesterday. The guy is the new Kendrick Lewis, and by far our worst FA signing this year.

to me this comes down to coaching / misjudging players again. TJ should not cover deep but play close to the LOS right? he has 2 sacks already and is probably best at run stuffing / covering TE. Correa for example may just be a bad player, but why draft a pass rusher only to try and convert him to ILB w/o success... play and scheme to the strength of your players.

9 minutes ago, berlin calling said:

to me this comes down to coaching / misjudging players again. TJ should not cover deep but play close to the LOS right? he has 2 sacks already and is probably best at run stuffing / covering TE. Correa for example may just be a bad player, but why draft a pass rusher only to try and convert him to ILB w/o success... play and scheme to the strength of your players.

Except when your a safety, you are still supposed to be able to cover a TE, they aren't asking him to go 1 on 1 against AB or AJ. Look we all knew the offense would suck this year given that all they added was an old injury prone WR in Maclin, the defense though has no excuses for playing this poorly. 

24 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Can anyone explain why Tyus Bowser has seemingly disappeared from receiving playing time after being named Rookie of The Week a few weeks back? We had 80 defensive snaps yesterday - he played 7 of them.

Nope, I asked about it last week, it makes no sense at all...

10 minutes ago, M.10.E said:

Random sidenote: when Canady comes back, do you think we could see some Jefferson next to Mosley and Webb at safety with Canady in the slot?

yes I think this was the plan before we lost all of our slot Cb's forcing webb to play CB

3 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

You know, I've been reading Canady is the favorite to take over the slot corner duties from Webb, but wasn't he vastly outplayed by Jaylen Hill in the preseason? Or am I not remembering that correctly?

he got hurt right before preseason started, giving Hill the chance to play I believe

1 minute ago, paraven said:

he got hurt right before preseason started, giving Hill the chance to play I believe

Ah, okay. Makes sense then why I didn't recall hearing his name in the preaseason. Still, looks like Hill is set to get healthy around the same time, as well. Feel like he's earned the reps over Canady at this point.

2 hours ago, berlin calling said:

Yeah I just don't know....Why we continue to not be able to have ANY of our safeties play in a 2-deep shell boggles my mind.

6 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Can anyone explain why Tyus Bowser has seemingly disappeared from receiving playing time after being named Rookie of The Week a few weeks back? We had 80 defensive snaps yesterday - he played 7 of them.

Because Dean Pees. That's all I've got. I think Bowser had a rough game against the Jags (who didn't?), but that doesn't explain him disappearing so completely. I imagine Pees just can't figure out what to do with him. Far too athletic and versatile for a Pees defense.

The guy can't even use Jefferson right, when they have several years worth of film of the Cardinals, to show them how to use him.

Honestly, They just keep giving this guy more and more talent to work with, and he keeps failing to make them even the sum of their parts, let alone build a great defense. He's a fraud, and Harbaugh's refusal to see that is going to cost him his job. Because they dreamed that a great defense could offset a garbage offense... And maybe it could. We'll never know while Pees is there.

7 hours ago, M.10.E said:

Random sidenote: when Canady comes back, do you think we could see some Jefferson next to Mosley and Webb at safety with Canady in the slot?

It would make sense, but I don't expect it to happen because its not vanilla enough for Pees

8 hours ago, paraven said:

Except when your a safety, you are still supposed to be able to cover a TE, they aren't asking him to go 1 on 1 against AB or AJ. Look we all knew the offense would suck this year given that all they added was an old injury prone WR in Maclin, the defense though has no excuses for playing this poorly. 

The problem is that Jefferson is lining up more and more towards the deep half and taking on receivers. Yeah, he's going to get beat. Arizona had a really specialized role for him in which he succeeded big time. Dean Pees doesn't know how to do that for an individual player. It's either line up and succeed where he puts you... or don't. Most likely the latter unless we're talking about someone in the upper echelon of the league that can succeed regardless of role (which is by far the minority of players). This is exactly what I was worried about with the Jefferson signing and it should surprise nobody that he's struggling playing where Weddle did last season.

And in turn Weddle struggling where Webb played last season. Eric just doesn't have the range and looks to be overextending himself in every facet. This isn't something that will get better or work itself out. These guys are just plain square pegs being forced into a round hole. At least the cornerback play has been nice. Pass rush is pretty spotty, but that's what's going to happen with Pees' scheme unless the guys are elite. Suggs and Dumervil and McPhee (from the inside a lot) were elite when they were dominating a few years ago. It had nothing to do with Pees. 

This is like some kind of continuous loop. We're saying the same things over and over again, Pees isn't changing, and we're getting upset at the same deficiencies over and over again. And at this point it won't change until Harbaugh is booted out... which isn't happening (sadly). So yeah, buckle in for a long few years. Will be a shame to waste the young talent/potential on defense but there's not much that will realistically happen at this point.

On 10/16/2017 at 6:48 PM, coordinator0 said:

The problem is that Jefferson is lining up more and more towards the deep half and taking on receivers. Yeah, he's going to get beat. Arizona had a really specialized role for him in which he succeeded big time. Dean Pees doesn't know how to do that for an individual player. It's either line up and succeed where he puts you... or don't. Most likely the latter unless we're talking about someone in the upper echelon of the league that can succeed regardless of role (which is by far the minority of players). This is exactly what I was worried about with the Jefferson signing and it should surprise nobody that he's struggling playing where Weddle did last season.

And in turn Weddle struggling where Webb played last season. Eric just doesn't have the range and looks to be overextending himself in every facet. This isn't something that will get better or work itself out. These guys are just plain square pegs being forced into a round hole. At least the cornerback play has been nice. Pass rush is pretty spotty, but that's what's going to happen with Pees' scheme unless the guys are elite. Suggs and Dumervil and McPhee (from the inside a lot) were elite when they were dominating a few years ago. It had nothing to do with Pees. 

This is like some kind of continuous loop. We're saying the same things over and over again, Pees isn't changing, and we're getting upset at the same deficiencies over and over again. And at this point it won't change until Harbaugh is booted out... which isn't happening (sadly). So yeah, buckle in for a long few years. Will be a shame to waste the young talent/potential on defense but there's not much that will realistically happen at this point.

Winner winner chicken dinner. It's the same stuff year in and year out. Guys in the secondary not being utilized. A pass rush that MUST rely on 4 guys beating their man, but we just don't have those guys, and overall a defensive scheme that is outdated, not flexible, and proven to only be as good as the players that are put into it (given those players are scheme fits).

2 minutes ago, Darth Pees said:

Winner winner chicken dinner. It's the same stuff year in and year out. Guys in the secondary not being utilized. A pass rush that MUST rely on 4 guys beating their man, but we just don't have those guys, and overall a defensive scheme that is outdated, not flexible, and proven to only be as good as the players that are put into it (given those players are scheme fits).

They could. Just not out of a base 3-man line alignment. Suggs, Judon, Smith, Williams, or Bowser alone next to any of the three defensive linemen aren't going to get it done. Now if you put two of those guys on the ends with two of the defensive linemen on the inside then you have something. Harder to scheme against, harder to block, and +++ in the athleticism category. But that's not going to happen as long as Pees is constructing the defense so... :/

Archived