Dragon Age: The Veilguard (Bioware, Fall 2024)

Kiltman

6 hours ago, The Gnat said:

- Game Play

This writing team has absolutely zero respect for its audience's intelligence. 

Or maybe it's the director?

Either way, if there's no option to make characters stfu when not being directly spoken to, it's a hard pass from me.

Edited by Apparition
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, skywindO2 said:

I only played a little bit of Origins and Inquisition(I really need to revisit the series) but this is my thought as well. Nothing about the trailer looks bad to me but it's so tonally different than the previous games. The music is especially awful. If they had released this trailer launching a new IP, I think we'd be seeing a much more positive reception.

Combined with the fact that Larian and BG3 completely raised the bar for a game like this last year, this just looks destined to fail. 

The dialogue and banter between characters is really cringe too.    Some will argue we havent seen enough to judge in that regard, but trailers the last few years have set a fairly accurate preview for what to expect....at least for mediocre games.   If anything, it will probably only get worse.

I guess if it doesn't bother you, then it is what it is, but since I usually play adventure and RPG games in large part for story, this is a huge red flag for me.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Player classes, maxing out certain skill trees

The Rogue has access to three specializations. The Duelist is the fastest of the three, with two blades for rapid strikes; the Saboteur uses tricks and traps; and the Veil Ranger is purely range, sniping enemies from afar with a bow.

The Mage can utilize necromancy with the Death Caller specialization; Evokers wield fire, ice, and lightning; and the Spellblade uses magic-infused melee attacks.

The Warrior can become a Reaper, which uses night blades to steal life and risk death to gain unnatural abilities; a Slayer, a simple but strong two-handed weapons expert; or the Champion, a tactical defense fighter.

Faction backgrounds 

Grey Wardens return, joined by other returning favorites and new additions like the Antivan Crows, the Mourn Watch, the Shadow Dragons, the pirate-themed Lords of Fortune, which is what I chose in my demo for the current Game Informer cover story, and the Veil Jumpers.

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2022 at 6:37 PM, RuskieTitan said:

found myself not caring about the characters and you describe it perfectly, large open world but low enjoyability. I'm not even sure I got around to recruiting all companions before I just stopped playing.

Yep my feeling exactly

On 6/9/2024 at 7:06 PM, 43M said:

😄

I dont know whether to laugh or cry.    This looks like hot trash.   Just the trailer reminds me of the terrible Suicide Squad game.    Doesn't bode well for Mass Effect 4.

Guess thats what happens when you force out all the people who made BioWare great and replace them with people that have little experience and even less talent.   Same reason why I have low expectations for the Witcher series going forward...CDPR did the same thing.

Actually looks kinda cool for a movie trailer

If they give all the characters something to do instead of aimlessly doing random things

On 6/11/2024 at 10:31 AM, The Gnat said:

Inquisition, something about it was too open world

Im glad many other people are saying this too, because i used to think i loved open world games until i played this

On 6/11/2024 at 6:26 PM, 43M said:

I guess if it doesn't bother you, then it is what it is, but since I usually play adventure and RPG games in large part for

Octopath traveller 2 has some fun stories if you like turn based.

I put about 20 hours into it and im probably only 1/3 of the way done

• Like 2

On 7/30/2024 at 9:24 AM, RuskieTitan said:

The concept of an RPG seems lost on them, especially from a developer that always encouraged you to experiment with both good and evil choices.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

It's either gonna be a great game for dragon age fans or another miss for bioware. We'll see when it releases but if they focus on companions and give us a decent story it should be the best RPG we've gotten since....BG3? Can't really think of a good RPG between now and then.