2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

2004 Green Bay Packers draft class.

1.25  Ahmad Carrol, CB.

3.70  Joey Thomas, CB.

3.72  Donnell Washington, DL.

3.87  BJ Sander, P.

6.179  Corey Williams, DL.

7.251  Scott Wells, C.

I think we got good play out of Williams and signed/traded him for a second round pick.

Wells was a solid center for years.

Rest were terrible.  

Didn't we flip Thomas for a second or third?

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

But I guess there was that little hiccup in there when Sherman was coach/GM.  

Sherman gets a lot of unfair criticism IMO.  The hiccup was Ray Rhodes as HC.  Sherman made the playoffs 4 straight seasons, and won the NFCN 3 straight seasons.  He is the prime example of what people clamoring for "help for Rodgers" would want.  He had a short turnaround from the slump of 99 and 00.  He was the "win now" guy.  It didn't work out.  Was he an outstanding drafter? No.  I think he was trying to win one more while the iron was hot.  I feel like people tend to put him as some bottom tier GM, when he isn't even the worst Packers GM.  He was a middle of the road guy, who would probably have been better off as HC only.  Also, the end of his tenure was really bad :D 

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

The question is, are there other players those coaches advocated cutting that ended up being good players? There’s no context behind this. 

That Rodgers kid can't even beat Craig Nall, and then breaks his foot when he actually gets into a game.  There is no future there.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TransientTexan said:

The question is, are there other players those coaches advocated cutting that ended up being good players? There’s no context behind this. 

No context needed. Saw it on a recent chat and this seemed to be the best place for it. What was the context behind the Rodgers pick ?? What was the context behind letting Hyde and Hayward walk ?? Or the Bakhtiari pick ??  TT was in charge of personnel decisions.

Edited by cannondale

1 minute ago, cannondale said:

No context needed. Saw it on a recent chat and this seemed to be the best place for it. What was the context behind the Rodgers pick ??

There is context needed. If coaches are often recommending various players to be cut and some of them end up being a good player and some of them bust, then the statement is meaningless. 

however if they very rarely make such a recommendation, but did for Bostick and were ignored, that has much more meaning. 

it’s like when there is some terrorist incident & a journalist makes some click-bait about how the perpetrator was already on the authorities’ radar beforehand & it’s supposed to be some scandal that they were not able to do something to stop him. But what gets left unmentioned is that he is one among tens of thousands of borderline people who were on the authorities radar and 99.9% of them never end up perpetrating anything. It greatly changes the context, though the journalist never technically said anything untrue. 

25 minutes ago, TransientTexan said:

There is context needed. If coaches are often recommending various players to be cut and some of them end up being a good player and some of them bust, then the statement is meaningless. 

however if they very rarely make such a recommendation, but did for Bostick and were ignored, that has much more meaning. 

it’s like when there is some terrorist incident & a journalist makes some click-bait about how the perpetrator was already on the authorities’ radar beforehand & it’s supposed to be some scandal that they were not able to do something to stop him. But what gets left unmentioned is that he is one among tens of thousands of borderline people who were on the authorities radar and 99.9% of them never end up perpetrating anything. It greatly changes the context, though the journalist never technically said anything untrue. 

You want to be able to pick and choose what TT was responsible for ??  There is an insider story behind every draft pick and every FA move and every cut. Do you want proof of each one ? There are scouts and coaches giving opinions and advice on everything. TT had the final say on personnel. You can't disregard Bostick but call him a God for drafting Rodgers. For all we know, he wanted Luis Castillo but every scout convinced him otherwise. And I don't care about comparing TT and Gute. If coaches say a player is an absolute moron and will cost you football games, you need to listen. That's part of the job description. Coaches aren't gonna cry wolf very often. Hell, the players basically had to have Randall voted off the island.

Edited by cannondale

16 minutes ago, cannondale said:

If coaches say a player is an absolute moron and will cost you football games, you need to listen. That's part of the job description. Coaches aren't gonna cry wolf very often.

It’s not necessarily crying wolf, it’s just that their evaluation could be wrong, and may have been wrong on other players. you’re so invested in your confirmation bias that you are unwilling to allow for any other factors. 

He is certainly responsible for Bostick being on the roster. Duh. Blame already exists. But your tidbit changes nothing without context. 

Just now, TransientTexan said:

It’s not necessarily crying wolf, it’s just that their evaluation could be wrong, and may have been wrong on other players. you’re so invested in your confirmation bias that you are unwilling to allow for any other factors. 

He is certainly responsible for Bostick being on the roster. Duh. Blame already exists. But your tidbit changes nothing without context. 

Sorry. I honestly don't understand what you're arguing. I'm not invested or have a bias. I heard something in the last few days and posted it in this thread. As I said, I'm not interested in comparing TT and Gute. Especially this early in Gutes tenure.

12 hours ago, cannondale said:

Fun Fact via Nagler chat:

Coaches were telling TT to cut Bostick. TT didn't listen

Coaches are frequently pushing to cut projects that aren't working out great immediately. 

It's the GMs job to look at things in the long run and maintain confidence that a player will develop.

There were probably very similar things said about Tonyan early on. 

• Like 1