Curtis Samuel signs with the Washington Football Panthers

turtle28

On 3/26/2021 at 12:47 PM, offbyone said:

I hope you are right.  I keep waiting to hear of these extensions.  I guess the only other explanation is they have or had (didn't work out) another big free agent target.

Could’ve been, and there’s still months to go to get extensions done for guys like Brandon Scherff & Jon Allen. If they’re even going to extend Scherff. If Scherff demands on being the highest paid guard they may not give him a long term deal given his age & injury history. 

On 3/26/2021 at 11:11 AM, offbyone said:

Contract details finally out.  Interesting.  Backloaded.  That is two contracts we backloaded.

Cap hits:

2021 3.8M

2022 12.9M

2023 13M

Trying to keep things low this year with the cap going down, but also an indication that many teams are expecting it to go up next year.  We are not the only team backloading contracts, especially the three year ones.  

• Like 1

On 3/28/2021 at 10:12 AM, naptownskinsfan said:

There were also a lot of three year contracts, so I wonder how that is playing into things. 

Your guess is as good as mine. I don’t know.  Maybe teams are getting smarter about not giving free agents big long term deals.

5 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Your guess is as good as mine. I don’t know.  Maybe teams are getting smarter about not giving free agents big long term deals.

I would guess it is the free agents (and their agents) not the teams who don't want the long term deals or at least the younger ones.  That way they have some security but at the same time another contract to look forward with the mega tv contracts.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, offbyone said:

I would guess it is the free agents (and their agents) not the teams who don't want the long term deals or at least the younger ones.  That way they have some security but at the same time another contract to look forward with the mega tv contracts.  

Which is weird, because it makes sense for Samuel being 24, but not for Jackson III who is 29.  I thought the same thing you did. 

47 minutes ago, offbyone said:

True.  I don't understand Jackson's age, I think he only has 4 seasons.  

He was 24 when he was drafted and turned 25 in his a rookie year. He attended Trinity Valley Community College for his freshman year before transferring to the University of Houston for his sophomore year. 

He played 4 years of college ball. A lot of the guys who go into the league and are early picks now leave as redshirt sophomores or juniors. Then, his birthday being in October probably meant that he couldn’t start kindergarten until he turned 5, which means he turned 6 in October of his kindergarten year as well. Etc, etc. So, lags birthday & playing 4 years of college & the pros & it’s why he’s 28 and just becoming a FA for the first time & why he’ll be 29 in October. He turned 19 as a freshman in college for example.

So, William Jackson & Brandon Scherff are kind of in the same boat. They didn’t come up to be FA’s until they were 28 - well Scherff was franchised so he hasn’t even become a FA yet.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

He was 24 when he was drafted and turned 25 in his a rookie year. He attended Trinity Valley Community College for his freshman year before transferring to the University of Houston for his sophomore year. 

He played 4 years of college ball. A lot of the guys who go into the league and are early picks now leave as redshirt sophomores or juniors. Then, his birthday being in October probably meant that he couldn’t start kindergarten until he turned 5, which means he turned 6 in October of his kindergarten year as well. Etc, etc. So, lags birthday & playing 4 years of college & the pros & it’s why he’s 28 and just becoming a FA for the first time & why he’ll be 29 in October. He turned 19 as a freshman in college for example.

So, William Jackson & Brandon Scherff are kind of in the same boat. They didn’t come up to be FA’s until they were 28 - well Scherff was franchised so he hasn’t even become a FA yet.

Thanks for clarifying age.  

Agree, except Scherff has a much more significant injury history and we are paying him the most we could possibly pay a player at his position and don't even have him signed long term.  At least Jackson we secured and are paying well but far from the top of the list for corner backs.

27 minutes ago, offbyone said:

Thanks for clarifying age.  

Agree, except Scherff has a much more significant injury history and we are paying him the most we could possibly pay a player at his position and don't even have him signed long term.  At least Jackson we secured and are paying well but far from the top of the list for corner backs.

I don’t see what my post has to do with Scherff’s injury history, I’m just talking about his age.

2 hours ago, HTTRDynasty said:

McLaurin will also be relatively old when his rookie contract ends, though he will have a year less in NFL years than Jackson and Scherff since he wasn't a 1st round pick.

True, man I hope we lock him up next off-season to a big deal.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1