Curtis Samuel signs with the Washington Football Panthers

turtle28

So let me get this straight...

People upset because didnt sign anyone at the start of FA. 

Then we sign Fitzpatrick and almost everyone upset.

Then we sign William Jackson and he gets a mixed bag results. Still lots upset.

Now we sign one of the top WRs in FA and people want to s*** on it. 

I'm glad none of ya'll my girlfriend. Just ain't no pleasing you.

jim carrey truth GIF

That being said, if we end up with a TE, ILB and some O-Line help... watch out

Parks And Recreation Anniversary GIF by The Paley Center for Media

• Like 6

2 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

So let me get this straight...

People upset because didnt sign anyone at the start of FA. 

Then we sign Fitzpatrick and almost everyone upset.

Then we sign William Jackson and he gets a mixed bag results. Still lots upset.

Now we sign one of the top WRs in FA and people want to s*** on it. 

I'm glad none of ya'll my girlfriend. Just ain't no pleasing you.

jim carrey truth GIF

That being said, if we end up with a TE, ILB and some O-Line help... watch out

Parks And Recreation Anniversary GIF by The Paley Center for Media

You know me. I'm the resident curmudgeon. And while I'm not sure about the direction they are going in terms of building long term or winning now, I am not opposed to this FA period at all.

Fitz = fills a need. Allows us to evaluate the younger QBs, and gives us flexibility in the draft 

Jackson = Yes. DB is not a concern in the draft with who we already have in the secondary. But if a DB falls, we can grab him

Samuel = Yes. WR is less of a concern (we should still target one but if a blue chip falls to us a la a Randy Moss type fall e should grab them)

The FA period has actually been good in terms of who we got and the ones available. Now I'd just like to see us grab some ILB help.

But this makes this so we can do whatever we want this coming draft and not feel like we're forced to reach for a guy

There...I said it.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, bigdog44 said:

Wouldn’t drafting a WR in round one make McLaurin the 3rd highest paid wideout on the team? Guys a captain. That’s bad for the koom-bye-yah

McLaurin needs to be resigned as soon possible. Is it the culmination of your second pro season or third?

I like the Samuel signing. We she run some variation of Gibson and Mckissic with McLaurin and Samuel. Put Logan at TE. Would like to add another WR and maybe another pass catching TE. This would be nice and would keep the opposition D off balance. This draft is not good for LB's so we may have problems in that area. 

53 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

You know me. I'm the resident curmudgeon. And while I'm not sure about the direction they are going in terms of building long term or winning now, I am not opposed to this FA period at all.

Fitz = fills a need. Allows us to evaluate the younger QBs, and gives us flexibility in the draft 

Jackson = Yes. DB is not a concern in the draft with who we already have in the secondary. But if a DB falls, we can grab him

Samuel = Yes. WR is less of a concern (we should still target one but if a blue chip falls to us a la a Randy Moss type fall e should grab them)

The FA period has actually been good in terms of who we got and the ones available. Now I'd just like to see us grab some ILB help.

But this makes this so we can do whatever we want this coming draft and not feel like we're forced to reach for a guy

There...I said it.

Fitz is the best of pretty bad options right now.  We got backed into a corner by winning, and this is what you see.  

I'm not a fan of the Jackson signing.  He relies too much on speed for a guy who turns 29 in the middle of next season.  I am not sure why we were not in on bringing back Darby if we were going to pay this much for Jackson.  

As far as Samuel, I was already resigned to that.  It's a lot of money to pay a guy who is a slot receiver, but we use 3 WR quite a bit so the snap count will be there more often than not.  

I still have this team pegged for 6-8 wins next year.  There is no way that the Eagles and Cowboys suffer the same amount of injuries as they did this year, and the Giants are likely to be better as well.  We have a first place schedule which is going to be tough.  Do Fitzpatrick, Jackson and Samuel make us substantially better?  No.  Do they make us substantially worse?  That's the same answer.

We will be right back in the thick of competing for a pick 14-18.  

40 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Fitz is the best of pretty bad options right now.  We got backed into a corner by winning, and this is what you see.  

I'm not a fan of the Jackson signing.  He relies too much on speed for a guy who turns 29 in the middle of next season.  I am not sure why we were not in on bringing back Darby if we were going to pay this much for Jackson.  

As far as Samuel, I was already resigned to that.  It's a lot of money to pay a guy who is a slot receiver, but we use 3 WR quite a bit so the snap count will be there more often than not.  

I still have this team pegged for 6-8 wins next year.  There is no way that the Eagles and Cowboys suffer the same amount of injuries as they did this year, and the Giants are likely to be better as well.  We have a first place schedule which is going to be tough.  Do Fitzpatrick, Jackson and Samuel make us substantially better?  No.  Do they make us substantially worse?  That's the same answer.

43 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'm okay with the Jackson and Samuel signing (as I said). The rest? Not disagreeing at all. It's why the "we gotta win and go to the playoffs" fervor was short sighted IMHO. It affects more than just one year. The result is missing out on the key pieces of the puzzle of putting together a perennial contender.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

The second is the idea that he’s some perfect WR2. He’s had one season out of 4 where he put up solid WR2 numbers — and he was, in fact, their WR3 on that team. It’s a fairly significant projection to consider him a legit WR2. I think they should still be in the market for a WR in the first few rounds of the draft.

Well, if Thomas continues to develop as a TE, Samuel could end up being #3 for the targets.

3 hours ago, e16bball said:
3 hours ago, Skinsin2013 said:

Expand  

What is Keim talking about? Why would we ever be daydreaming about formations where we don’t have McLaurin on the field? 

Okay, so it wasn't just me that as like whaaaaaaaa?

A good player, not the guy I wanted, but we still created another threat at WR which was absolutely necessary.  We can't just rely on McLaurin.  It isn't fair to Terry and also we have seen what happens when TM is hurt.

It is gonna be interesting having another diverse player like Gibson.  I hope they use him.  He will really help in returning kicks.  On the down side, on this signing, we overpaid.  I think part of the reason I am a little less thrilled is I like some of the guys of his type/stature in the draft.  

I think this actually spells opportunity for Cam Sims and I guess for that matter, Harmon.  Fitz is gonna like the size mismatch that he has in Sims.  

• Like 2

I'm upset because Samuel was last on the list of "good" available WRs for me. The absolute cronyism aside, I felt like there were better Samuel type WRs in the draft, and better WRs for us to get in FA that could have helped. HIS BEST SEASON WAS THE ONE WITHOUT RON RIVERA. 

It's definitely not on the level of Paul Richardson - I hated that signing from the start. Despised it. This one I'm just disappointed in.

• Like 1

I’m happy with the signings. We got better with everyone.

We really needed a wr2 and got it here! Same for William Jackson. I liked Darby. Only problem in his career is durability. Which only will be bigger issue once getting older.

We got better and I was happy with going to the playoffs. You’re getting a winning culture with winning, not via draft in picking 10th. Tanking and getting Lawrence is a different story. 

Edited by Dutch DC Football Fan