2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

3 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

I think Brown has yet to scratch the surface on refining a skill set or even a defined role. Last night, he was aggressive as all hell and you can't teach that (sawft) 

I actually can't really think of a comparison for him at the moment. He's pretty unique in that he's very raw still but yet still makes an impact on the game. 

I'd say best case scenario is that he becomes something like Jimmy Butler, follows a similar career path, maybe even. I feel confident in saying he'll become a rather useful two way player. Perhaps falling somewhere in the borderline all star category. 

You know that elite role players can be borderline all stars, right? I don't get why everyone acts like it's such an insult. To me, it just means I don't want that guy as one of the top two options on my team. They're usually best off the ball, if they're an elite role player. You know who's an elite role player? Klay Thompson. He's, of course, an outlier because he could be a second option on a team with a player like Giannis, but he still fits what I define as a role player.

You're scoffing at how I regard him, when you seem to have a similar outlook for him. 

3 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

If you didn't see an improvement and ball handling and ability to create his own shot I don't know what to tell you. He was also aggressive as hell getting to the rim against the best player in the world.

This is a major issue with player evaluation. People think aggression equals progression. It's one reason people still think Julius Randle is good (Brown is way better than Randle).

I didn't see a lot of improvement. I saw him do what he does best and that's attack the basket with power, but not a lot of skill. 

Because the phrase role player is very much a slight. A role player is generally someone that isn't a top 3 option on his team. I'm not going to argue semantics with you but especially in the first conversations about it, you didn't seem to give Brown much credit for anything. 

It's only been one game but he's shown improvement and he's not even 21 yet so whatever forever

Just now, Troy Brown said:

Because the phrase role player is very much a slight. A role player is generally someone that isn't a top 3 option on his team. I'm not going to argue semantics with you but especially in the first conversations about it, you didn't seem to give Brown much credit for anything. 

It's only been one game but he's shown improvement and he's not even 21 yet so whatever forever

You said Brown is a borderline all-star in all likelihood, but you think he'll be a top three option? Which is it? I gave Brown plenty of credit.

You're struggling to look past your bias here. If Brown played for another team you wouldn't be taking such a hardened stance.

1 minute ago, MookieMonster said:

What? A borderline All-Star can be a top three option on a team lol

Not on the type of team that Boston is looking to be. Ideally, he's fourth or fifth on an elite team.

1 minute ago, utley4568 said:

You said Brown is a borderline all-star in all likelihood, but you think he'll be a top three option? Which is it? I gave Brown plenty of credit.

You're struggling to look past your bias here. If Brown played for another team you wouldn't be taking such a hardened stance.

You can be a top 3 option while being borderline all star, why is that a weird thing? He's now the #2 option on this team so we'll see how it goes. I'm not struggling to look past any bias, I've watched probably 90 percent of his NBA career and I don't understand why you don't think he's got massive potential. 

You can be a top 3 option while being borderline all star, why is that a weird thing? He's now the #2 option on this team so we'll see how it goes. I'm not struggling to look past any bias, I've watched probably 90 percent of his NBA career and I don't understand why you don't think he's got massive potential. 

Because that potential is present in a ton of players. It's just unlikely that they reach it. Could he? Sure. Will he? Probably not.

Just now, utley4568 said:

Because that potential is present in a ton of players. It's just unlikely that they reach it. Could he? Sure. Will he? Probably not.

Not every player is picked 3rd overall and makes impacts on championship contending teams immediately. But I'm glad you agree he's got massive potential. 

Not every player is picked 3rd overall and makes impacts on championship contending teams immediately. But I'm glad you agree he's got massive potential. 

Whatever, man. You've clearly got some sort of weird agenda here. Brown, like most great athletes, has a lot of potential. And like most of them, he won't reach it. His realistic peak is a player on the same level as Paul Millsap. Apparently that's insulting. 

Just now, utley4568 said:

Whatever, man. You've clearly got some sort of weird agenda here. Brown, like most great athletes, has a lot of potential. And like most of them, he won't reach it. His realistic peak is a player on the same level as Paul Millsap. Apparently that's insulting. 

lol so now he's capable of being the #1 option on a playoff team. okay. weird to see you change your tune so hard. that's certainly not what you were saying a few months ago. my weird agenda is that you're now backtracking after saying his ceiling was that of a role player. but now apparently, paul millsap is a role player. 

8 minutes ago, Troy Brown said:

lol so now he's capable of being the #1 option on a playoff team. okay. weird to see you change your tune so hard. that's certainly not what you were saying a few months ago. my weird agenda is that you're now backtracking after saying his ceiling was that of a role player. but now apparently, paul millsap is a role player. 

I said elite role player. Paul Millsap is not the #1 option a real playoff team. That's like saying Rip Hamilton was capable of being the #1 option on a playoff team.

Archived