2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

12 minutes ago, 808 said:

Disagree. D'Antoni should have had the stones to stand up to Kobe and run a team the right way, which he was getting paid for. 

I was responding to your post about Harden being played too much with an example of his current coach doing the same thing in the past. yet because that player is Kobe, my example is bogus. Got it.  

Phil was the only one that could have pulled it off. Every other coach? Kobe was doing it his way. Like Kupchak said, Kobe would put himself in the game whenever he felt like it. What exactly do you think D'antoni could have done to prevent that? Suspend Kobe or fine him? When a dude is putting himself in the game, shows how much respect he has for you and just the amount of power he has in the organization. 

16 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Phil was the only one that could have pulled it off. Every other coach? Kobe was doing it his way. Like Kupchak said, Kobe would put himself in the game whenever he felt like it. What exactly do you think D'antoni could have done to prevent that? Suspend Kobe or fine him? When a dude is putting himself in the game, shows how much respect he has for you and just the amount of power he has in the organization. 

Yes.  Suspend him.  If D'Antoni decides to suspend Kobe and not play him at all, what is Kobe going to do about it?

13 minutes ago, showtime said:

Yes.  Suspend him.  If D'Antoni decides to suspend Kobe and not play him at all, what is Kobe going to do about it?

get him fired, like almost every other coach ever that has been in bad terms with the star player

Melo has done it this year, just waved off someone coming in for him. Billy can't do much because I'm assuming they want Melo back next year and he has a PO.

Just now, 11sanchez11 said:

In hindsight. But at the time I doubt that he wasn't trying to keep his job.

And if he wasn't trying to keep his job, why would he care anyways?

The whole point of this was, he takes blame for Kobe getting hurt.  Which is ridiculous anyway because he got hurt playing the game.  I was just saying, a head coach is going to take blame for a lot of things.  

2 minutes ago, showtime said:

The whole point of this was, he takes blame for Kobe getting hurt.  Which is ridiculous anyway because he got hurt playing the game.  I was just saying, a head coach is going to take blame for a lot of things.  

I didn't read any of what was said besides the post I replied to.

Marc freaken Gasol got a respected coach fired for benching him for a quarter. Players win, almost always.

I didn't read any of what was said besides the post I replied to.

Marc freaken Gasol got a respected coach fired for benching him for a quarter. 

Exactly.  The coach did what he had to do and got fired for it.  He didn't allow Gasol to just walk all over him to the point where the coach has no power.  If you're coaching in a situation where you have absolutely no power over the best player, then why coach there anyway?  You're not even the coach, outside of just having that for a title.

3 minutes ago, showtime said:

then why coach there anyway?  

the difference between a HC's salary and an assistance coach's salary. Fizdale might never get another NBA HC job in his career (same for Mike and Billy). There is only 30. 

And I don't think the star player is out there coaching everybody, the coach definitely has some say. Gotta pick your battles.

the difference between a HC's salary and an assistance coach's salary. Fizdale might never get another NBA HC job in his career (same for Mike and Billy). There is only 30. 

And I don't think the star player is out there coaching everybody, the coach definitely has some say. Gotta pick your battles.

Mike D'Antoni is currently the head coach of the Houston Rockets.  I think Fizdale will get another shot somewhere else because as you said, he is a well respected coach around the league.  As far as Billy Donovan, he probably needs to go back to college.

28 minutes ago, showtime said:

Like Sanchez said, he suspends Kobe, then he gets fired. You really think D'antoni is going to win THAT battle? This league more than any other one is a star's league. They dictate what happens, not the HC. Heck, Marc Gasol who isn't close to the level of Kobe got benched one game and the next day the coach was fired. 

Archived