2017-2018 NBA GDT: Off the court discussions

11sanchez11

NBA Champions  

79 members have voted

1. 1. Who's The Favorite to Win it All This Year?

• Warriors
    • Cavaliers
    • Someone Else, Somehow?

45 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Know more as in know more about basketball? The X's and O's? All that stuff or know more as in knowing what is going on in the NBA? If it is the X's and O's, there are far more than just CP3/LeBron that know more than Lowe. As in knowing what is going on in the NBA, then Lowe knows more than a lot of players that's for sure. 

What are Xs/Os in basketball? Just knowing the plays and executing them? Well if KD went to the Hawks tomorrow he wouldn't be able to run their plays right away. We can understand the concepts and purposes of a play without knowing the name. Like when the Spurs run hammer we know it is a misdirection play to get an open corner 3PT shot. I don't know what they call it but I get the purpose of the play.

If strategy counts as part of Xs/Os it's pretty easy to see why the Rockets try to get the worst defender switched onto Harden, or why a team would double the post, or trap a PnR, etc. 

28 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

What are Xs/Os in basketball? Just knowing the plays and executing them? Well if KD went to the Hawks tomorrow he wouldn't be able to run their plays right away. We can understand the concepts and purposes of a play without knowing the name. Like when the Spurs run hammer we know it is a misdirection play to get an open corner 3PT shot. I don't know what they call it but I get the purpose of the play.

If strategy counts as part of Xs/Os it's pretty easy to see why the Rockets try to get the worst defender switched onto Harden, or why a team would double the post, or trap a PnR, etc. 

Well, I'm assuming he @seminoles1 is referring to the way Lowe breaks down certain sets and actions in his articles. If that isn't it, then what exactly does he mean Lowe knows more basketball than anyone not named LeBron/CP3? 

51 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Well, I'm assuming he @seminoles1 is referring to the way Lowe breaks down certain sets and actions in his articles. If that isn't it, then what exactly does he mean Lowe knows more basketball than anyone not named LeBron/CP3? 

That's exactly what I mean.  If I were watching film with Durant and Lowe, I'd expect Lowe to know and understand more about the actions going on around the whole court.  Who to attack, where each player's best spot on the court is, etc.

Then I'm not sure I'd put LeBron in that class either then. LeBron knows every teams actions and play calls, but he doesn't exactly attack every mismatch the right way. I bet guys like Jose Calderon are super smart and would understand things better than LeBron. 

Leonard left San Antonio and his teammates in the aftermath of increasing tension levels surrounding his disconnect with the team and several near-returns that resulted in Leonard backing off and staying on the sidelines. Leonard's status was the focus of a Spurs player-only meeting on March 17, league sources told ESPN, and prominent teammates Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker have drawn attention for public comments about Leonard's status.

Dude isn't coming back huh?

13 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Then I'm not sure I'd put LeBron in that class either then. LeBron knows every teams actions and play calls, but he doesn't exactly attack every mismatch the right way. I bet guys like Jose Calderon are super smart and would understand things better than LeBron. 

Rondo 

1 hour ago, 11sanchez11 said:

Suns trade their 1st for Kawhi and then Bucks 1st, MIA 1st, and MIA 20-something 1st for Kemba. Good or bad idea for the Suns? Hornets? and Spurs?

It would take more than just 1 pick, even if it is 1st overall, to get Kawhi.  I'd be shocked if it didn't have to include Jackson and another pick at minimum.  Though his contract is up in a year, so maybe it wouldn't cost that much.

Charlotte won't trade Kemba without either getting back a good player or getting rid of a bad contract.

Spurs get:
2018 Phoenix 1st Round Pick
2021 Miami 1st Round Pick
Josh Jackson
Jared Dudley
Alan Williams

Hornets get:
2018 Miami 1st Round Pick
2018 Milwaukee 1st Round Pick
Dragan Bender/Marquese Chriss
Tyson Chandler
Tyler Ulis

Suns get:
Kawhi Leonard
Kemba Walker
Nicolas Batum

That would completely deplete the Suns of big men.  They'd be stacked 1-3 though.

Kemba
Booker
Leonard
Warren
Batum

I don't see the Spurs doing that unless they decide a full rebuild is the way to go.  Charlotte would do it.  Suns...maybe?

Kawhi needs to force his way to Houston. Ryan Anderson would be a beast in the Spurs system, they should take him. Heck I’d give hem anyone not named Harden for Leonard. 

I know it’s not happening. No need to come at me with all the “stupid homer rockets fan” posts. 

48 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

It would take more than just 1 pick, even if it is 1st overall, to get Kawhi.  I'd be shocked if it didn't have to include Jackson and another pick at minimum.  Though his contract is up in a year, so maybe it wouldn't cost that much.

Charlotte won't trade Kemba without either getting back a good player or getting rid of a bad contract.

Spurs get:
2018 Phoenix 1st Round Pick
2021 Miami 1st Round Pick
Josh Jackson
Jared Dudley
Alan Williams

Hornets get:
2018 Miami 1st Round Pick
2018 Milwaukee 1st Round Pick
Dragan Bender/Marquese Chriss
Tyson Chandler
Tyler Ulis

Suns get:
Kawhi Leonard
Kemba Walker
Nicolas Batum

That would completely deplete the Suns of big men.  They'd be stacked 1-3 though.

Kemba
Booker
Leonard
Warren
Batum

I don't see the Spurs doing that unless they decide a full rebuild is the way to go.  Charlotte would do it.  Suns...maybe?

It would take all 3 2018 1st round picks to get Leonard 

and then watch the Spurs draft a dynasty because that’s what they do. 

Archived