Bryce Love waived

turtle28

3 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’m bummed for him. He went back to win and it cost him his career. These kids owe the NCAA nothing. 

Thank you for saying this. It’s so true. He really should’ve left after his junior year. He probably didn’t bc he probably wasn’t getting a 1st round grade in the draft. Cautionary tale for those who go back to school for their senior years when they could leave & be a day 1 or day 2 pick in the draft.

Edited by turtle28

Bryce Love was a really bad pick at the time. Totally hated the pick. Not many people had Bryce Love in the fourth round, let alone upper fourth round. Just look at the next three running backs picked after him in the same round. Justice Hill, Benny Snell Jr. and Tony Pollard. Not world beaters by any means but at least somewhat productive backups. It was kinda crazy that he was picked over all those guys I thought. Meanwhile Love was a total gamble that he wasn't an injury prone RB and would return to his former glory. I'm blaming Kyle Smith on this one.

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

Bryce Love was a really bad pick at the time. Totally hated the pick. Not many people had Bryce Love in the fourth round, let alone upper fourth round. Just look at the next three running backs picked after him in the same round. Justice Hill, Benny Snell Jr. and Tony Pollard. Not world beaters by any means but at least somewhat productive backups. It was kinda crazy that he was picked over all those guys I thought. Meanwhile Love was a total gamble that he wasn't an injury prone RB and would return to his former glory. I'm blaming Kyle Smith on this one.

I can't see that.  Love was a very reasonable pick.  He was incredible prospect with a first time ACL which is an injury that has very good outcome rates.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, offbyone said:

I can't see that.  Love was a very reasonable pick.  He was incredible prospect with a first time ACL which is an injury that has very good outcome rates.  

He was an incredible prospect in 2017. Too bad it was the 2019 draft. It's not like the ACL was the only injury he had in college. NFL.com had him as a 5th-6th round prospect. I think the results speak for themselves.

58 minutes ago, taylor made said:

NFL.com had him as a 5th-6th round prospect.

What about the 99 other draft outlets? (spoiler, it ranged all the way from late 2nd round to 6th round)

DJ from NFL.com even wrote an article about his "long NFL career head" - https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-bryce-love-stanford-rb-should-enjoy-long-nfl-career-0ap3000000937453.

PFF called him possibly "the steal of the draft" if healthy - https://www.pff.com/news/draft-a-healthy-bryce-love-would-be-the-steal-of-the-2019-nfl-draft 

58 minutes ago, taylor made said:

I think the results speak for themselves.

Hindsight being what it is, yes, you were correct. He never recovered from his injury.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

What about the 99 other draft outlets? (spoiler, it ranged all the way from late 2nd round to 6th round)

DJ from NFL.com even wrote an article about his "long NFL career head" - https://www.nfl.com/news/scouting-bryce-love-stanford-rb-should-enjoy-long-nfl-career-0ap3000000937453.

PFF called him possibly "the steal of the draft" if healthy - https://www.pff.com/news/draft-a-healthy-bryce-love-would-be-the-steal-of-the-2019-nfl-draft 

Hindsight being what it is, yes, you were correct. He never recovered from his injury.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone calling Bryce Love a late second rounder before the 2019 draft. I'm not sure if you are confusing his 2018 draft stock or what. Walterfootball had him in the 3rd-5th round range and that's the highest I'm seeing him ranked. His draft stock was much different in 2018 than what it was in 2019. Too bad our front office didn't realize that.

DJ from nfl.com wrote the "long career ahead" article in 2018 and that was before his ACL tear. Just a year later, he's not in DJ's top 100 final rankings. - https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-100-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-0ap3000001027342 (it doesn't load all the way, but you can see no players from Stanford in the last 50 or so)

And then the same PFF.com who ranked Bryce "Steal of the draft" Love prospect #113? https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pffs-top-250-big-board-for-the-2019-nfl-draft

I think Bryce Love was about a 4th rounder looking back at it and I was wrong that "not many" people had Bryce Love in the 4th round. I suppose that was actually his draft stock. But with who was on the board at running back, the team could have drafted a lot better.

7 hours ago, taylor made said:

I think you'd be hard pressed to find anyone calling Bryce Love a late second rounder before the 2019 draft. I'm not sure if you are confusing his 2018 draft stock or what. Walterfootball had him in the 3rd-5th round range and that's the highest I'm seeing him ranked. His draft stock was much different in 2018 than what it was in 2019. Too bad our front office didn't realize that.

DJ from nfl.com wrote the "long career ahead" article in 2018 and that was before his ACL tear. Just a year later, he's not in DJ's top 100 final rankings. - https://www.nfl.com/news/daniel-jeremiah-s-top-100-prospects-for-2019-nfl-draft-0ap3000001027342 (it doesn't load all the way, but you can see no players from Stanford in the last 50 or so)

And then the same PFF.com who ranked Bryce "Steal of the draft" Love prospect #113? https://www.pff.com/news/draft-pffs-top-250-big-board-for-the-2019-nfl-draft

I think Bryce Love was about a 4th rounder looking back at it and I was wrong that "not many" people had Bryce Love in the 4th round. I suppose that was actually his draft stock. But with who was on the board at running back, the team could have drafted a lot better.

You must be thinking of Matt Jones because Love was a legit prospect.  Real speed and showed he could catch a little when asked to.  Heisman runner up.  Was out running Christian McCaffrey in same program.  Came back to school because he wanted to win heisman.  We can't know what he could be because of the injury and it was an injury that most players recover from.  Yeah, total failure result, but he was at the very least a fair pick to make.

• Like 1

Do I wish we had taken Bryce Love later than we did in the 4th? Yeah.

Was it a bad 4th round pick given the upside he had if he could recover from his knee injury? No, it wasn’t a bad 4th round pick.

You can’t predict the future of his knee. Normally players are able to come back from ACL tears w/in a year or two and be just as good as they were before the injury. If, Love had done that he had the talent to be our starting RB. It’s sad that didn’t happen, but there was no way of predicting it.

Also, can’t really say we shouldn’t waited a round or 2 because there’s no guarantee he would’ve been there for us then.

17 hours ago, offbyone said:

You must be thinking of Matt Jones because Love was a legit prospect.  Real speed and showed he could catch a little when asked to.  Heisman runner up.  Was out running Christian McCaffrey in same program.  Came back to school because he wanted to win heisman.  We can't know what he could be because of the injury and it was an injury that most players recover from.  Yeah, total failure result, but he was at the very least a fair pick to make.

No sir, I am not thinking of Matt Jones. Here's a link to a compilation of 21 big boards from the 2019 draft. Bryce Love was ranked #133.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2019/consensus-big-board-2019

4 hours ago, taylor made said:

No sir, I am not thinking of Matt Jones. Here's a link to a compilation of 21 big boards from the 2019 draft. Bryce Love was ranked #133.

https://www.nflmockdraftdatabase.com/big-boards/2019/consensus-big-board-2019

We are basing this off draft pundits?  Sorry I don't give that much value and not to be rude, but frankly I just can't see your side of the argument at all.  He was a solid pick, it just didn't work out.  Missing on a 4th round rb who had A+ physical talent and great production, isn't exactly a big mistake or miss. 

But if we go by your big board compilation as the almighty correct value, then we can easily prove you right or wrong by looking at who we missed out on.  Who would you have rather picked between our pick at #112 and where they ranked love at #133?   What great players of those guys did we miss out on?   How many?

18 hours ago, offbyone said:

We are basing this off draft pundits?  Sorry I don't give that much value and not to be rude, but frankly I just can't see your side of the argument at all.  He was a solid pick, it just didn't work out.  Missing on a 4th round rb who had A+ physical talent and great production, isn't exactly a big mistake or miss. 

But if we go by your big board compilation as the almighty correct value, then we can easily prove you right or wrong by looking at who we missed out on.  Who would you have rather picked between our pick at #112 and where they ranked love at #133?   What great players of those guys did we miss out on?   How many?

It's fine we'll never see eye to eye on this. I just have a conservative draft philosophy. Fact is, Bryce Love averaged 4.5 ypc his Senior Year and was a shell of his Junior Year self. Fact is, Bryce Love couldn't perform any combine events besides bench press.  Justice Hill was the more sensible pick then. Is he anything more than a #3 running back on the Ravens? No. But he's turned out to be the better pick