• Elijah Mitchell, RB, ULL
    • Wyatt Hubert, DE, Kansas State
    • Dax Milne, WR, BYU
    • Miller Forristall, TE, Alabama
    • Artayvious Lynn, TE, TCU
    • Rico Bussey, WR, Hawaii
    • Ta'Quon Graham, DL, Texas
    • Camaron Cheeseman, LS, Michigan

I'm going to speed this up a bit. Pick two players from the list above for our 7th round picks. 

19th - Jeremiah Owusu-Koramoah, LB, Notre Dame

51st - Wyatt Davis, G, Ohio State

74th - Pete Werner, LB, Ohio State

82nd - Tommy Tremble, TE, Notre Dame

124th - Jamar Johnson, S, Indiana

163rd - Tay McGowan, CB, UCF

246th - Jose Borregales, K, Miami

258th - Camaron Cheeseman, LS, Michigan (tie breaker goes to my pick)

How do we feel about this draft? Grade? Seems like most of you aren't happy. 

• Like 1

Sam Ehlinger and Wyatt Hubert for me. If Sam is available in the 7th I think you have to take him bc he has a lot of untapped talent, he’s a great leader and could work out long term. Hubert is a high motor guy who is coming off back to back good seasons for KState, he’d be a good back up DE.

3 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

It never goes exactly to plan nor how we always mock it, so I like to do this to push buttons. Which picks are you most sour on?

It’s not that I don’t like it, I just would of done a lot different.

I would pass on JOK for either Zaven, Darrisaw, J.Davis, Moehrig, or a WR that’s not a slot guy like Terrace Marshall

i would potentially go QB or LB in rd 2

idk just don’t think this draft really puts us a team that got a lot better you know? It def wasn’t a BPA draft

20 minutes ago, LoganF89 said:

It’s not that I don’t like it, I just would of done a lot different.

I would pass on JOK for either Zaven, Darrisaw, J.Davis, Moehrig, or a WR that’s not a slot guy like Terrace Marshall

Darrisaw was already picked (went 14), Jamin seems to be a high riser based on combine but maybe, Moehrig is probably good, but I don't know if I want to use our 1st rounder on a safety. I don't think I'd be mad though. I'm not big on Zaven. What WR would it be? Bateman? All the other Tier 1B/2 guys are pretty much slot imo like the Moores. Toney seems to be a toss up where people see him. 

i would potentially go QB or LB in rd 2

True. this Davis pick makes a little less sense after the Flowers trade. 

idk just don’t think this draft really puts us a team that got a lot better you know? It def wasn’t a BPA draft

I'd argue JOK and Davis were just that (even though I picked neither). 

I went with Dax Milne and Elijah Mitchell. One disappointing thing about this draft is that I think we’re still a bit weak at the offensive skill positions, particularly in terms of depth, and we didn’t hit either WR or RB until Round 7 (if that). We can’t expect to just have virtually optimum health at these spots like we did last season (WR/TE at least), and we saw the drop-off when Gibson went down with the turf toe. 

Milne is kind of a BPA pick. He flashed constantly when watching Wilson, he gets open with regularity and makes some contested catches. He’s almost your Ryan Grant type — not great at anything, but he’s going to be dependable as a WR4/5. I think he could play inside or outside because he has just enough speed/quicks to allow his understanding of route running and leverage to get the better of man coverage. 

My favorite late-round back is actually Josh Johnson from ULM, but he’s not on the list. So I’d pull the trigger on Elijah Mitchell. I was stunned to see the 40 time he ripped off (4.33). It does not look like that kind of speed in games, but you can’t fake out the stopwatch I guess. He’s very upright and not the most decisive, but he runs through weak contact and has some ability to re-direct while at full tilt. He’s also a former receiver, so his hands should be an asset as well. I don’t know exactly what to make of a ridiculously good pro day, from a guy who doesn’t look like a great athlete when you watch him, but maybe it suggests an upside that has yet to be unlocked by Sun Belt coaching.

Also, thanks for putting this together, @MikeT14. That was a really fun thought experiment — very helpful to think through the scenarios in “real time,” as opposed to trying to piece together a mock backwards. I know it took some time on your part, and it was much appreciated. 

Maybe we could get in one more (at least Days 1 and 2) before tomorrow night? I’d be happy to help take the lead if people would want to try another one. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, e16bball said:

My favorite late-round back is actually Josh Johnson from ULM, but he’s not on the list. So I’d pull the trigger on Elijah Mitchell. I was stunned to see the 40 time he ripped off (4.33). It does not look like that kind of speed in games, but you can’t fake out the stopwatch I guess. He’s very upright and not the most decisive, but he runs through weak contact and has some ability to re-direct while at full tilt. He’s also a former receiver, so his hands should be an asset as well. I don’t know exactly what to make of a ridiculously good pro day, from a guy who doesn’t look like a great athlete when you watch him, but maybe it suggests an upside that has yet to be unlocked by Sun Belt coaching.

Ha! I had him on the list with 4 more others but reduced it because I didn't want 16 people with a vote each. My bad. 

Just now, e16bball said:

Also, thanks for putting this together, @MikeT14. That was a really fun thought experiment — very helpful to think through the scenarios in “real time,” as opposed to trying to piece together a mock backwards. I know it took some time on your part, and it was much appreciated. 

Maybe we could get in one more (at least Days 1 and 2) before tomorrow night? I’d be happy to help take the lead if people would want to try another one. 

Sure, go for it. I didn't spend as much time as I wanted to, but I try and make it as tough as possible to mimic some real life situations. I obviously don't know our board, and missed including some talent, but c'est la vie.