It's Trevor Lawrence Day!: Draft Day 1 Discussion

.Buzz

9 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Etienne is a playmaker don’t get me wrong and I understand the need for offensive weapons. No one said don’t draft a back to spell J Rob.. and just run him in the ground is 25 our last pick in this draft? But what’s lost is this isn’t a physically imposing team by any means. To me I’m still a big proponent of the game still being owned in the trenches.. to me this situation could have been addressed later in the draft with prospects such as Gainwell, Carter, Herbert, or Williams. I would have preferred a trench monster right there at 25 a lineman on either side of the ball preferably the offensive line since I’m not really high on any of the dlinemen in this class. But when Darrisaw went off the board ahead of us I was kind of pissed. I understand the selection theoretically playing with Trevor yadi yadi ya.. but whatever I guess. Hopefully it’s Freddy and MJD 2.0.. but I have reservations about Ettiene being able to be a home run threat to the level he was in college next level.. people compare him to Kamara but I don’t see it (adding a little context when you see Kamara on film he breaks ankles in the open field.. Ettiene is a fast straight line runner who has a low center of gravity and he runs through arm tackles he’s not a stick his foot in the ground and make you miss in the open field type back). I hope all the picks work out tho we’ll see. 

I agree with you on this.  He really reminds me a lot more of Percy Harvin than a Kamara type.  Percy was a receiver, not a big, bruising fullback type, but what was so impressive about him was the way he ran with absolutely no fear.  He was fast and very strong for a guy his size.

I'm thinking this might be what Urban sees in him too.  It was interesting when Urban made the call to Travis telling him that they were going to pick him, he told him that he expects him to be in the weight room tomorrow - before he even told him we were drafting him.  :D  If he can add some weight, he will be a weapon that is a LOT like Percy was for the Vikings.  He will do it out of the backfield most of the time, but in college, Percy was lining up in the backfield a lot too.

10 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

Etienne is a playmaker don’t get me wrong and I understand the need for offensive weapons. No one said don’t draft a back to spell J Rob.. and just run him in the ground is 25 our last pick in this draft? But what’s lost is this isn’t a physically imposing team by any means. To me I’m still a big proponent of the game still being owned in the trenches.. to me this situation could have been addressed later in the draft with prospects such as Gainwell, Carter, Herbert, or Williams. I would have preferred a trench monster right there at 25 a lineman on either side of the ball preferably the offensive line since I’m not really high on any of the dlinemen in this class. But when Darrisaw went off the board ahead of us I was kind of pissed. I understand the selection theoretically playing with Trevor yadi yadi ya.. but whatever I guess. Hopefully it’s Freddy and MJD 2.0.. but I have reservations about Ettiene being able to be a home run threat to the level he was in college next level.. people compare him to Kamara but I don’t see it (adding a little context when you see Kamara on film he breaks ankles in the open field.. Ettiene is a fast straight line runner who has a low center of gravity and he runs through arm tackles he’s not a stick his foot in the ground and make you miss in the open field type back). I hope all the picks work out tho we’ll see. 

Here's the thing though...

Once Darrisaw went off the board just ahead of us, what Offensive Lineman "trench monster" did we miss out on otherwise?  There literally wasn't one taken.  Anyone of that ilk that we could've taken at 25, we could still just as easily take to kick off Day 2.

1 hour ago, Tugboat said:

Here's the thing though...

Once Darrisaw went off the board just ahead of us, what Offensive Lineman "trench monster" did we miss out on otherwise?  There literally wasn't one taken.  Anyone of that ilk that we could've taken at 25, we could still just as easily take to kick off Day 2.

I didn’t say there aren’t any olinemen left I said any of the ones I’m interested in.. clearly they think they can get a solid starter later but to me it’s only 3 potential olinemen that have potential to be cornerstones and that was Sewell, Slater, and Darrisaw. I’m sure Echinberg, Radunz, and Mayfield maybe solid I’m just not excited with them. 

Edited by DuvalsKing

5 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

I didn’t say there aren’t any olinemen left I said any of the ones I’m interested in.. clearly they think they can get a solid starter later but to me it’s only 3 potential olinemen that have potential to be cornerstones and that was Sewell, Slater, and Darrisaw. I’m sure Echinberg, Radunz, and Mayfield maybe solid I’m just not excited with them. 

I mean his point is that you're saying you're mad that they didn't draft an OL at 25, while simultaneously saying that there wasn't an OL there that was worth taking. If you're upset about the pick because they didn't take someone else, that's one thing. But being mad about taking a player available because you wanted them to take someone who wasn't there seems silly. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, pwny said:

I mean his point is that you're saying you're mad that they didn't draft an OL at 25, while simultaneously saying that there wasn't an OL there that was worth taking. If you're upset about the pick because they didn't take someone else, that's one thing. But being mad about taking a player available because you wanted them to take someone who wasn't there seems silly. 

You’re reaching just because I was upset about Darrisaw going off the board.. being mad about Darrisaw doesn’t mean just because Eitenne is available makes it the right pick. 🤨 So with your logic if you wanted let’s says Zaven Collins and he is selected ahead and then they draft let’s say Landon Dickerson you feeling that? 

9 minutes ago, DuvalsKing said:

You’re reaching just because I was upset about Darrisaw going off the board.. being mad about Darrisaw doesn’t mean just because Eitenne is available makes it the right pick. 🤨 So with your logic if you wanted let’s says Zaven Collins and he is selected ahead and then they draft let’s say Landon Dickerson you feeling that? 

No, but here'e the thing. Instead of complaining about them not picking a guy they couldn't pick, I'd be discussing the other players they could have picked instead. 

I wouldn't say "I wish they had taken an OL" and then simultaneously said no OL was worth being picked.

We just want to know who you wanted to take at 25 that also didn’t make it to 33. That’s all. 

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

No, but here'e the thing. Instead of complaining about them not picking a guy they couldn't pick, I'd be discussing the other players they could have picked instead. 

And actually I’m not complaining about the pick I’m questioning the value of the pick. I understand the pick to some degree familiarity, a weapon, blah blah blah.. and I even understand it may be a strategy pick meaning A lot of good players are still on the board.. and I can take him here without risking Buffalo swooping in and stealing him at the end of the round. I don’t want the front office getting cute with the picks because of a cool feel good story.. Eitenne may end up being a stud.. but I don’t think he’s going to produce that big play production next level to justify the pick. He is essentially going to be a spicy Devonte Freeman.. but maybe I’ll be wrong and he’ll be the baby GOAT. I didn’t know we couldn’t disagree with the selections my apologies. 

1 minute ago, DuvalsKing said:

I didn’t know we couldn’t disagree with the selections my apologies. 

Man, that’s not it at all. Again..

14 minutes ago, pwny said:

We just want to know who you wanted to take at 25 that also didn’t make it to 33. That’s all. 

6 hours ago, DuvalsKing said:

I mean...what does that really have to do with taking Etienne at 25 then?  If the options you wanted weren't available.

Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw were unavailable to them.  They had already been picked.  And there were literally no OLinemen taken between 25 and 33.  They still had their pick of anyone else.  Obviously chose to go a different way with it.

At that point, it's not about "liking the Etienne pick".  It's about being upset that other teams took the guys you want, and upset they didn't just fall into the Jaguars lap.  Which is like yeah, it's disappointing...but it's not really the Jaguars fault.  Other teams just took them before they had a chance to pick again.

The only alternative solution would've been trying to go up and jump the Vikings in a bidding war for Darrisaw (we weren't getting up there for Sewell or Slater from 25).  Maybe that's worth it...but it would've been a fair bit to give up (especially likely dealing with division rivals), for a team that has glaring needs for top-end starting caliber talent all over the place at multiple positions, requiring multiple higher picks to address.