Trade Down?

Millenhater

Just finished a mock with Detroit trading down twice...thoughts?

Detroit Lions Receive: 2021 1st Round Pick (#13), 2021 2nd Round Pick (#47), 2022 3rd Round Pick
Los Angeles Chargers Receive: 1st Round Pick (#7)

Detroit Receives: 1st Round Pick (#19), 3rd Round Pick (#82), 2022 2nd Round Pick

WFT Receives: 1st Round Pick (#13)

19.) Detroit Lions (from WFT) - Micah Parsons [LB; Penn State]

That would have Detroit enter the 2022 NFL Draft with 2 FRPs (Detroit's and LA Rams'), 2 SRPs (Detroit's and WFT's), and 3 3rd Round Picks (Detroit's and LA Chargers').  And they still get the guy they probably would have taken at 7.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Detroit Lions Receive: 2021 1st Round Pick (#13), 2021 2nd Round Pick (#47), 2022 3rd Round Pick

Detroit Receives: 1st Round Pick (#19), 3rd Round Pick (#82), 2022 2nd Round Pick

That would have Detroit enter the 2022 NFL Draft with 2 FRPs (Detroit's and LA Rams'), 2 SRPs (Detroit's and WFT's), and 3 3rd Round Picks (Detroit's and LA Chargers').  And they still get the guy they probably would have taken at 7.

Sign me up!!  That's how you build a winner.  Look even if Parsons doesn't pan out you are set up to thrive.  Seriously make it happen.

As for Chicago, if we think one of these QBs is a franchise guy we take him.  End of story.  If we don't I don't mind trading with Chicago and giving them a guy we think will bust...but it will cost them.  A lot.  Pace and Nagy are DESPERATE.  I say prey on that desperation.  They aren't living for tomorrow and we are, maybe we should take advantage of that.

6 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I like it all except Parsons. Make it Collins or JOK and I'm sold. 

• Like 1

Looking at the trade down options and who's available I'm not as enthused to do it if one of those blue chippers is available.  If Sewell is there it would take A LOT for me to consider the trade down.  I think I've settle in on him being my guy and I don't think I want to trade out if he's there.

• Like 1

If Detroit ever wants to build a contender they need to trade down. Detroit simply isn’t a destination FAs wanna come to unless you break bank for them. Then you hurt team for years with cap.

Trade down. Build roster.

Build trenches early and dabble with elite playmakers late in draft who can excel behind some monsters on the lines.

that’s how I see this team taking a leap forward 

Elite playmakers don’t do well behind crap o line and d line but decent players can look amazing behind elite lines 

Edited by detfan782004
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

If Detroit ever wants to build a contender they need to trade down. Detroit simply isn’t a destination FAs wanna come to unless you break bank for them. Then you hurt team for years with cap.

Build trenches early and dabble with elite playmakers late in draft who can excel behind some monsters on the lines.

Elite playmakers don’t do well behind crap o line and d line but decent players can look amazing behind elite lines 

What players are you targeting in a trade down?  Who are you trading with and what is the minimum price you'd take?

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

I think the same could be said for drafting instead of trading down.  You don't often find elite playmakers like Chase or elite OTs like Sewell later in the draft.  If not for the QBs, these guys would easily go in the top 3 of most drafts.  So if one of them is there you take them, because you wont get elite free agents to come here and we need some elite players.  If they are gone, then I agree you move down and collect future assets as the talent gap isnt as different between the 3-6th OT/WR as it is the 1 and 2/3. 

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I think the same could be said for drafting instead of trading down.  You don't often find elite playmakers like Chase or elite OTs like Sewell later in the draft.  If not for the QBs, these guys would easily go in the top 3 of most drafts.  So if one of them is there you take them, because you wont get elite free agents to come here and we need some elite players.  If they are gone, then I agree you move down and collect future assets as the talent gap isnt as different between the 3-6th OT/WR as it is the 1 and 2/3. 

I think in this draft in particular this rings true.  I'd much rather have some elite players and an identity to build around then a bunch of average talents.  We can still trade down in the 2nd or 3rd.  Obviously at the top is our chance to accumulate capital but it's also our opportunity to accumulate talent.

1 minute ago, Sllim Pickens said:

WR is one of the positions were teams consistently find impact players later in the draft IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, Nnivolcm said:

WR is one of the positions were teams consistently find impact players later in the draft IMO.

Yes WR.  I think Chase is a blue chip player and worth the pick but I think Sewell or a QB is worth sticking and picking.  If Chase is there I seriously consider him unless we are blown away.  Mostly because I don't want to come out of this draft with our first pick being Smith.  That's not a player I can envision building around.