Trade Down?

Millenhater

I'm a big fan of trading town in almost every draft. This year more than most. Most prospects have played shorter seasons or no season at all. There was no combine with a standardized medical check. These prospects are more unknown and more risky than prospects in other years imo.

I'd love to add future picks but even more picks this year gives us more chances to hit on riskier prospects. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

What players are you targeting in a trade down?  Who are you trading with and what is the minimum price you'd take?

I had a couple scenarios in my mock.  I thought about doing another one but decided not to.

I would target...in no order of talent of preference off top of my head

C. Barmore- DT- Bama

R. Bateman- WR- Minny

K. Paye- Edge- Michigan- as a Michigan fan I think he will go higher than he should though

Farley- CB- VT

Just now, Nnivolcm said:

I'm a big fan of trading town in almost every draft. This year more than most. Most prospects have played shorter seasons or no season at all. There was no combine with a standardized medical check. These prospects are more unknown and more risky than prospects in other years imo.

I'd love to add future picks but even more picks this year gives us more chances to hit on riskier prospects. 

And now I've been swayed again...Damnit!  Haha.  Seriously I think either option is good but only if we take one of those blue chip players.  I don't consider Waddle or Slater on that same tier so if the QBs, Pitts, Sewell, or Chase are not the pick we HAVE TO trade down.  HAVE TO.

4 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

WR is one of the positions were teams consistently find impact players later in the draft IMO.

Good WRs come late, occasionally there is a diamond in the rough like AB or Hill that have other issues that cause them to fall.  Chase is the best WR prospect since AJ Green and Julio.  I'd take that over an extra 3rd and 5th if its a small trade down.  

5 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

WR is one of the positions were teams consistently find impact players later in the draft IMO.

I think it is most over drafted position in NFL honestly.  Followed by CB because my personal opinion is fail rate at CB is extremely high.  Just my opinion.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, detfan782004 said:

I had a couple scenarios in my mock.  I thought about doing another one but decided not to.

I would target...in no order of talent of preference off top of my head

C. Barmore- DT- Bama

R. Bateman- WR- Minny

K. Paye- Edge- Michigan- as a Michigan fan I think he will go higher than he should though

Farley- CB- VT

Bateman in a double trade down or for the farm would be good.  Farely would be crazy risky.  But he's a blue chip prospect if healthy.  If we got a ton of capital I think he'd be worth the risk.  Hell, i'm even ok with a minor trade up to get him.  Imagine leaving this draft with Sewell, Farley and one other impact player.  That's pretty good haul.

14 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Good WRs come late, occasionally there is a diamond in the rough like AB or Hill that have other issues that cause them to fall.  Chase is the best WR prospect since AJ Green and Julio.  I'd take that over an extra 3rd and 5th if its a small trade down.  

If the value to move down isn't there I'd take Sewell or Slater over Chase. Both are comparable prospects who play a much more impactful position and there isn't nearly as much depth at OT in the draft as there is in WR. 

4 minutes ago, Nnivolcm said:

If the value to move down isn't there I'd take Sewell or Slater over Chase. Both are comparable prospects who play a much more impactful position and there isn't nearly as much depth at OT in the draft as there is in WR. 

There also isnt nearly as much of a need.  Sewell and Chase are my #1/2 in desires for pick 7.  Slater is a notch below and I would be fine if the other two are gone.  But Chase is an elite talent with HOF potential and I am taking that over a late round dart any day.  

2 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

There's a report that the Lions are overplaying their hand and asking for way too much on the trade down.  Do you think there's anyway if teams try and play hardball/call our bluff that we call theirs and just pick the QB?  

I think it's the Patriots who are just upset Quinns not here to give them whatever they want. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, detfan782004 said:

If Detroit ever wants to build a contender they need to trade down. Detroit simply isn’t a destination FAs wanna come to unless you break bank for them. Then you hurt team for years with cap.

Trade down. Build roster.

Build trenches early and dabble with elite playmakers late in draft who can excel behind some monsters on the lines.

that’s how I see this team taking a leap forward 

Elite playmakers don’t do well behind crap o line and d line but decent players can look amazing behind elite lines 

Elite players are far more expensive to find in free agency or via trade. It’s a big advantage to be paying tackles, QB’s and edge players entry level deals.

If Sewell is there at 7 and they trade down they better be getting a 1st next year and picks this year. 

19 minutes ago, Millenhater said:

There's a report that the Lions are overplaying their hand and asking for way too much on the trade down.  Do you think there's anyway if teams try and play hardball/call our bluff that we call theirs and just pick the QB?  

Only if their initial target was the QB. Altering your draft plan to stick it to the other guy isn’t a good look. You need to stick to your board and not let emotion get involved.

19 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

There also isnt nearly as much of a need.  Sewell and Chase are my #1/2 in desires for pick 7.  Slater is a notch below and I would be fine if the other two are gone.  But Chase is an elite talent with HOF potential and I am taking that over a late round dart any day.  

I agree our WR room doesn't look good right now, but I think it can be adequately addressed outside of the top 10. 

• Like 2