The Jaguars trade up to pick 121 and select EDGE Jordan Smith

pwny

1 hour ago, Adrenaline_Flux said:

They're different types of players, but for whatever it's worth (not much), I much much preferred taking Jordan Smith Round 3/4 over taking either Gregory Rousseau or Carlos Basham Jr. in rounds 1 or 2. 

the three EDGE guys I keyed in on for these rounds were Jordan Smith, Elerson Smith (went to NYG) and Tarron Jackson behind them (more of a 5th/6th round EDGE)

Didn't like roche?

Really like this pick. Not upset at all with the trade up either of course. Figured we would consolidate at least a couple of picks with our current roster composition.

Provides us someone to develop in the 3-4 OLB role who had a rough personal year early on but is hopefully on a better path today.

I very much like this pick.

Obviously has some stuff in his past that isn't great, but it's one of those things that seems more like a guy being caught up in a bad situation.  At least from the outside looking in, it genuinely looks like a guy owned up to his mistakes, and has put in the work to make changes in his life.  Plus, this is the sort of "character flag" i'm more comfortable with someone like Urban being helpful with, and i'm sure has been vetted by him.  Being known for building those lifetime close personal relationships with "his guys" and stuff.  As long as he's not a risk to fall back into some bad situations or have bad influences drag him back now that he's about to have money...it's easier to put in the past.

And as a player...without that stuff, if he'd been at Florida all along, i don't think there's any chance he would've been here for us this late.  He obviously does need to continue to put on weight and develop more strength...but an NFL Strength and Conditioning program to throw himself into should take care of that easily enough with time.

The way he moves is so easy, and he's athletically very much not the "small school athlete".  Has the right demeanor and motor too.  When he fills out, i think he's got big upside as a project, with some traits that should allow him to contribute earlier anyway in the OLB rotation with some of those "schemed pressures" and stuff, that he's got more than enough juice to finish.

Would've gone with Quincy Roche over him probably myself, but he's really more of a "what you see is what you get".  Jordan Smith has a lot more potential headroom and upside to grow into, which is appealing.  And Rumph went a few picks earlier it seems.  But that's pretty much it.  So...really hard to find much not to like here.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Definitely had to be over a larger period of time then he indicated.

Honestly, I could believe that he put it on over offseason. A quick, dirty bulk would explain a lot of the poor testing he did.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, pwny said:

Honestly, I could believe that he put it on over offseason. A quick, dirty bulk would explain a lot of the poor testing he did.

Yeah.  I feel like him putting on that kind of weight over a short span like that, would go a long ways toward explaining his abysmal testing numbers.  And given the size of his frame and how not filled out it was...it's not even that unreasonable that he could've done something close to that.

Which ultimately, kinda boils down to apparently not having proper guidance and support from a top tier trainer getting him ready for what he actually should've been preparing for.

If this is true, and i could honestly see that being the case...he's really just sorta added some steps to his process of getting an actual "NFL Body".  Gonna have to work way back down again, and start building back up the right way with an NFL strength and conditioning program overseeing everything and guiding him better.  The good news from that however, is that he sounds eager to do whatever he can, and whatever it takes to get to where he needs to be.  Just needs better guidance and the tools to do it right.