NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

Patrick Mahomes entered Sunday Night Football with 19,848 yards. It didn’t take him long to reach 20,000.

The Chiefs quarterback passed the 20,000-yard mark in his 67th career regular-season game. That makes him the fastest ever to hit that mark.

Matthew Stafford hit 20,000 passing yards in his 71st career game.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/02/patrick-mahomes-has-become-fastest-player-to-reach-20000-passing-yards/

Fans love it when a guy bets on himself, in large part because it’s not our money. For Baker Mayfield, who reduced his 17-game guaranteed salary in Cleveland of $19.9 million to $15.358 million in order to facilitate a July trade to the Panthers, the best is going bust. Through four games, he has yet to perform in a way that will position him for a significant new contract in Carolina, or elsewhere.

He has a passer rating of 75.0, which needless to say is not good; the only two starters behind him are Mitch Trubisky (who may not be a starter any longer) and Justin Fields.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/03/baker-mayfields-self-bet-is-going-bust-so-far/

I haven't ever made it a secret that I don't care for Mayfield...he's one of the most annoying personalities at QB in the NFL...maybe it's out of self-delusion or whatever.  However, by getting traded so late unlike Trubisky and Fields, he was put behind the 8-ball so I don't really hold it that much against him that he hasn't really performed all that well yet.  He has the opportunity to get better as the season goes along.  I doubt he will and will likely have to do a Trubisky and take a backup job next year in the hopes that he can get another chance...but I'm not sure his ego may be able to accept that.  

Bookies.com analyzed the revenue data from 2012-2020 for every team, which showed that Minnesota will rank as the 13th richest team in the NFL by 2025. According to the website, the Vikings will have an estimated $608.75 million in revenue by that time.

The only NFC North team that will have more revenue than the Vikings will be the Packers, per Bookies.com. Green Bay came in at No. 9 on the list.

Somewhat surprisingly, the Bears rank just behind the Vikings at No. 14 on the list. The Lions are last in the NFC North and No. 27 overall. Not a huge surprise here, though: The Cowboys, Patriots and 49ers are set to be the top three teams in terms of revenue.

https://vikingswire.usatoday.com/2021/06/27/where-the-vikings-rank-on-the-richest-nfl-teams-by-2025-list/?utm_campaign=trueanthem&utm_medium=trueanthem&utm_source=facebook&fbclid=IwAR1E5UGDfsxvIcuWnMcoaBWQ2RmM6zF37h5QFCq9zKD-UX7yjUwCE4ITksQ

Edited by vike daddy

The NFC East is no longer the NFC Least. The NFC East is 14-6, the best division in football, and contains three of the five teams in the NFL with at least four wins: Eagles (5-0), Cowboys (4-1) and Giants (4-1).

Remember when the AFC West was going to be the king of all divisions? It’s 9-9 entering the last game of week five (Raiders-KC), and so will exit the first month of the season with its members being exactly .500.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/10/fmia-week-5-taysom-hill-giants-peter-king-fmia-week-5/

For his new foundation, the aptly named Joe Burrow Foundation, Burrow will address hunger and mental health needs for children in Ohio and Louisiana. “I believe that everyone has a responsibility to do good,” Burrow said. He’s most interested in hunger near his family’s home in Appalachian Ohio, but his mother Robin, a teacher and principal in rural Meigs County, Ohio, has impressed on him the importance of mental health in school children. “My mom, a lifetime educator, experiences firsthand the effect of mental health issues on children and their families.” Good luck to Burrow and his parents—who will be top officers of the foundation—in raising money and awareness.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/10/fmia-week-5-taysom-hill-giants-peter-king-fmia-week-5/

• Like 1

In the least surprising news...

The first of several heads to probably roll this year.  I think we'll probably see his predecessor get fired too in Washington, and we'll have to see with the new owners in Denver, whether Hackett will survive or be 1 and done.  I also wouldn't be surprised to see Reich out in Indy...and the move I've long waited for...Kingsbury being out in Arizona (if they fade like they usually do as the season goes along).  

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, mattyice0401 said:

I have a hard time seeing the Cardinals  firing Kliff after they just extended him but you never know.   Rhule is owed 40 mill from the Panthers. 

The only reason I justified it with someone else is that the Vikings fired Childress 10 months after his extension too.  As I believe I've indicated here in the past, Kingsbury, like Nagy in Chicago, never was qualified to hold the job in the first place, and nothing has changed to justify him holding it in Arizona either.  They generally have always started well (except this year) and then faded dramatically down the stretch. With as much talent as exists in Arizona, there's no excuse for it.  

1 hour ago, swede700 said:

Interesting turn of events.

Not entirely unexpected. This was most certainly spurred on by the "victim." The video is absolutely probable cause that an assault happened. It remains to be seen if the state's attorney will prosecute the matter, but I anticipate that once Davante settles with the cameraman, this will be dropped. 

Davante has a STRONG insentive to settle this quickly. The league isn't going to want to appear soft if he doesn't. They can't appear to condone players putting their hands on non-players. I'd think a 4-6 game suspension would be on the table if this proceeds to a trial. However, if Davante and the cameraman come to a quick, amicable settlement, they'll do a little PR work, say this was an unfortunate incident, but the parties have moved on with what they feel to be an acceptable punishment.

If I was the cameraman's attorney, my opening offer would be to settle for two of his game checks. Work backwards from there.

With a win over his former team, Bill Belichick tied legendary Bears owner and coach George Halas with 324 career wins (including playoffs), the second-most by a head coach in the history of the NFL. It was also Belichick's 257th regular-season win, tying Don Shula (with Miami) for the second-most wins by a head coach with a single team.

https://www.nfl.com/news/2022-nfl-season-week-6-what-we-learned-from-sunday-s-games

It took nearly 12 months, but it appears the NFL has finally figured out who will be footing the bill for the $790 million settlement that the league made with the city of St. Louis last November. 

According to ESPN, the NFL's 32 owners are set to approve a resolution Tuesday that will call for Kroenke to foot the bill for $571 million of the $790 million settlement. The rest of the money will be coming from the NFL's 32 teams.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/rams-owner-stan-kroenke-forced-to-pay-staggering-571-million-of-nfls-st-louis-settlement-per-report/?fbclid=IwAR0BJaMgWkDIb5lC1ro5FN2icnknyMx6kypUi3FyVYcIKtD0LKzBqj6WJBc