NFL Snooze News: Volume Four, Por Favor

Heimdallr

19 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

It’s really not that at all. Look back at the offseason threads in the Bears forum talking about Quinn. Nearly everyone said either “Move him for whatever you can get” or “Move him if you can get ______.” 

I had no problem with moving him...hell, even taking some of the money...but I think he should have gotten another pick on top of that 4th rounder.  Getting only 1 4th rd pick and eating most of the money this season?  That's highway robbery, as far as I'm concerned.  

26 minutes ago, swede700 said:

I had no problem with moving him...hell, even taking some of the money...but I think he should have gotten another pick on top of that 4th rounder.  Getting only 1 4th rd pick and eating most of the money this season?  That's highway robbery, as far as I'm concerned.  

Buying what is going to be a very late 4th round pick for $7M just looks ugly. 

The biggest mistake was keeping Quinn into the season. They should have traded him last offseason. 

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

What Bill Belichick is doing with the QB position is just a disaster. His ego has just moved past basic logic. 

Well, he is the king of the upper northeast US...he can pretty much do whatever he wants now and get away with it for some time.  The fact that they're still only 2.5 games behind in the East is a miracle based on what's on that roster.  Bill Belichick the GM has never done Bill Belichick the coach any favors.  

10 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Well, he is the king of the upper northeast US...he can pretty much do whatever he wants now and get away with it for some time.  The fact that they're still only 2.5 games behind in the East is a miracle based on what's on that roster.  Bill Belichick the GM has never done Bill Belichick the coach any favors.  

I’m certainly not taking away anything that he’s done, or his ability to coach and gameplan the defense. 

But to have a 2nd year QB and a rookie QB as the only QBs on the roster, and not have a single offensive coach on staff to help them is just absurd. 

Three years ago he changed the way they did things on offense, really for no reason, and almost like he was trying to prove they could win without Brady. And now with hiring Patricia and Judge as his offensive coaches just seems like a way to show that he doesn’t need Josh McDaniels. 

Edited by SemperFeist

4 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

I’m certainly not taking away anything that he’s done, or his ability to coach and gameplan the defense. 

But to have a 2nd year QB and a rookie QB as the only QBs on the roster, and not have a single offensive coach on staff to help them is just absurd. 

It is absurd, but maybe he's the smartest guy in the room and is just trying to think ahead. 

He's also the king of nepotism, which ZImmer was constantly ripped for, with sons Brian and Steve on the defensive side of the ball...and loves having his former players on his coaching staff, as he currently has Vinnie Sunseri (was a PS player about 5-6 yrs ago), Billy Yates (who played for him for 5 years in the mid-aughts), Troy Brown and Jerod Mayo (whose brother is also the assistant strength and conditioning coach).  Bill does things his way and often unusually...mostly, it's worked.  I'm not sure anyone else could repeat it though, which is evident why almost all his assistants have failed as HCs.  

Honestly, I wouldn’t expect any GM to say anything different, but I just find the choice of words funny. Continue? Sir, when did you start?

All Poles and the Bears have shown so far is that they can tear down the roster. Whether they can build it up to where they want it is still very much in question. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, SemperFeist said:

Honestly, I wouldn’t expect any GM to say anything different, but I just find the choice of words funny. Continue? Sir, when did you start?

All Poles and the Bears have shown so far is that they can tear down the roster. Whether they can build it up to where they want it is still very much in question. 

We'll have to see how "competitive" the roster will be next year when half their roster will be gone again.  Of course, they'll probably have the most cap space of any team...we'll have to see how they spend it...there aren't really any marquee FAs as far as I can see.  They'll probably overpay for Bradley Chubb, Poona Ford or Mecole Hardman.  

The Chiefs have traded for Kadarius Toney. If he gets healthy, he could be a very potent weapon for Mahomes. It's a low risk/high reward situation. 

It isn't a blockbuster trade, but the Eagles and Chiefs moves show that they're going all-in this season. 

If the Vikings believe they can contend for a Super Bowl berth this season, they need to make a couple of moves. A slot CB, 3-4 DE, and perhaps another threat at WR or TE would be ideal. I just don't think they can create the cap space to get guys who are upgrades from what we have. 

Sidney Jones could be a cheap-ish option for slot CB, and Seattle seems to have made him available for trade. His base salary is $1.62MM. He's not great, but he's better than Sullivan. I think he could be had for a 6th.

Chase Claypool is on a rookie deal and his full salary for the season is $1.2MM. He could be viewed as a successor to Thielen, and would certainly upgrade our top 4 WRs. I think he could be had for a 4th or 5th rounder, based on the Toney trade.

I have no idea what would be available for a 3-4 DE though. 

38 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

The Chiefs have traded for Kadarius Toney. If he gets healthy, he could be a very potent weapon for Mahomes. It's a low risk/high reward situation. 

It isn't a blockbuster trade, but the Eagles and Chiefs moves show that they're going all-in this season. 

If the Vikings believe they can contend for a Super Bowl berth this season, they need to make a couple of moves. A slot CB, 3-4 DE, and perhaps another threat at WR or TE would be ideal. I just don't think they can create the cap space to get guys who are upgrades from what we have. 

Sidney Jones could be a cheap-ish option for slot CB, and Seattle seems to have made him available for trade. His base salary is $1.62MM. He's not great, but he's better than Sullivan. I think he could be had for a 6th.

Chase Claypool is on a rookie deal and his full salary for the season is $1.2MM. He could be viewed as a successor to Thielen, and would certainly upgrade our top 4 WRs. I think he could be had for a 4th or 5th rounder, based on the Toney trade.

I have no idea what would be available for a 3-4 DE though. 

I always find the Chiefs' moves interesting...and it's the same with this one, as I'm not sure exactly what Toney adds that they don't already have.  But, it often works for them.  

As far as the Vikings, I personally don't see a need to upgrade the WR position but would say yes on a TE if available.  Certainly defensively I'd like to see them add a CB (someone who's already experienced in Donatell's system preferably) and maybe a 3-4 DE for depth (I'm okay with the starters, even if Bullard isn't a top-flight one).   

One guy they could consider...and wouldn't require a trade would be grabbing Duke Dawson off Pittsburgh's PS.  He was injured in Carolina's training camp, but is healthy and was signed by Pittsburgh to their PS 2 weeks ago.  He had spent the last 3 seasons with Donatell.

Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said on Thursday that wide receiver Ja'Marr Chase would probably miss practice due to hip soreness and it looks Taylor might have been underselling things when it comes to Chase’s condition.

According to multiple reports, Chase is set to miss multiple weeks as a result of the hip injury he’s been dealing with the last couple of weeks.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/10/27/reports-jamarr-chase-out-multiple-weeks-with-hip-injury/