2022 DRAFT THREAD - QB’s Wanted

19 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

I'm a proponent of drafting a lineman somewhere in the first 3 rounds of every draft. However, I do not want to trade down out of the 2nd just to pick up a 3rd. I think there will be some good talent that will be gone between 2.17 and 3.11

We can’t have everything we want. Yes, we could use upgraded depth at OL I guess but we have more pressing needs at ILB, WR, at TE considering Logan’s knee injury he suffered in December and FS especially if we don’t re-sign McCain or sign an upgrade in FA like I hope we do. 

If we draft a G or T early then we’re drafting a back up to Wes S & Cosmi who may not even be the top back up at their position seeing as we still have Saahdiq Charles as a back up G/T and we may/should re-sign Cornelius Lucas.

Edited by turtle28
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

We can’t have everything we want. Yes, we could use upgraded depth at OL I guess but we have more pressing needs at ILB, WR, at TE considering Logan’s knee injury he suffered in December and FS especially if we don’t re-sign McCain or sign an upgrade in FA like I hope we do. 

If we draft a G or T early then we’re drafting a back up to Wes S & Cosmi who may not even be the top back up at their position seeing as we still have Saahdiq Charles as a back up G/T and we may/should re-sign Cornelius Lucas.

Had they not made this stupid trade they would’ve had enough money to re-sign all of their free agents, dip their toes in free agency and still have their picks left. At 11 you could easily pick a QB who isn’t a reclamation project with an apparent personality issue. What was once a promising off-season was basically wiped out with one stupid decision. 

43 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Had they not made this stupid trade they would’ve had enough money to re-sign all of their free agents, dip their toes in free agency and still have their picks left. At 11 you could easily pick a QB who isn’t a reclamation project with an apparent personality issue. What was once a promising off-season was basically wiped out with one stupid decision. 

They still can do that if they restructure/extend Wentz & Flowers.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

My counter-point here is that making Wentz your QB requires that you invest heavily in your OL. He’s literally never played well behind anything but an elite OL, and the one year he didn’t have that (2020), he was one of the worst players in the league. We saw him Week One behind that shoddy OL, and we embarrassed him. 

Are Flowers and Schweitzer ready to be the starting OG duo? Maybe. I think we’re going to find out. But it’s a step up for Flowers to be our best OG (didn’t go real well for him in MIA) and it’s a step up for Schweitzer to be a full-time starter instead of a spot/swing guy. There’s always risk when you’re asking a guy to move up a peg on the pecking order, and I think they need to add one more OG to provide some insurance. I’m okay with it being a cheap veteran or maybe a Day 2 pick, but it can’t just be a total nobody. Also, just for the record, I don’t trust Saahdiq Charles to do anything, and I’m not sure why anyone would. Anything positive we get from him is a bonus. 

At OT, if they do manage to bring back Lucas, I’m pretty comfortable with the depth chart then. I do think though that there’s going to come a moment during the draft when they’re going to have to ask if they feel good enough about OT to pass on a guy like Cross or Penning who may be BPA at 11. But I would not be out there looking for an OT. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I don't see any way we draft OL in first 2 rounds, but anything is possible I suppose.

ILB, WR, DB seems to be the logical positions targeted (but of course BPA for the sticklers).

3 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It seems some of the local beat reporters aren’t expecting us to be big players in free agency now lol. In one fell swoop they basically wiped out any chance we had at improving a bunch of positions on this team. Remarkable. 

Sounds like good news to me. Beyond a franchise QB we should never have been big players in FA this season anyway.

Plug a couple of holes and upgrade a spot or 2 is all. 

Ertz

A vet ILB

Maybe a WR and OL depth.

and a DB or 2.

1 minute ago, MacDog said:

Sounds like good news to me. Beyond a franchise QB we should never have been big players in FA this season anyway.

Plug a couple of holes and upgrade a spot or 2 is all. 

Ertz

A vet ILB

Maybe a WR and OL depth.

and a DB or 2.

They’re losing an all-pro guard, their 3rd down back who the moment he got hurt the offense fell apart, their best back up DL and this doesn’t take into account we have nothing at FS, ILB, behind Antonio Gibson and we’re counting on Jamin Davis to not suck.

And I don’t care about them saving money for Snyder. I’m over it. What could’ve been a monumental off-season in terms of building towards this teams future was totally thwarted because they got scared and blew their wad on a QB who hasn’t been any good since 2017. So I refuse to celebrate the fact they’re losing real contributors without the ability to replace them. And the help ain’t coming from the draft either because we have like 5 picks. 

14 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

It seems some of the local beat reporters aren’t expecting us to be big players in free agency now lol. In one fell swoop they basically wiped out any chance we had at improving a bunch of positions on this team. Remarkable. 

Well, lavar.

If we're not big players, or at least active to get Wentz some weapons?

Then I want Rivera's resignation on my desk in the morning.

Because trading for Wentz & stopping there isn't just stupid. 

It's neglegent.

24 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

Which ones? Finlay, Keim have been quiet. 

I can't read Standig but he thinks we take care of in house stuff and fill with 2nd tier. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

My counter-point here is that making Wentz your QB requires that you invest heavily in your OL. He’s literally never played well behind anything but an elite OL, and the one year he didn’t have that (2020), he was one of the worst players in the league. We saw him Week One behind that shoddy OL, and we embarrassed him. 

Are Flowers and Schweitzer ready to be the starting OG duo? Maybe. I think we’re going to find out. But it’s a step up for Flowers to be our best OG (didn’t go real well for him in MIA) and it’s a step up for Schweitzer to be a full-time starter instead of a spot/swing guy. There’s always risk when you’re asking a guy to move up a peg on the pecking order, and I think they need to add one more OG to provide some insurance.

I’m okay with it being a cheap veteran or maybe a Day 2 pick, but it can’t just be a total nobody. Also, just for the record, I don’t trust Saahdiq Charles to do anything, and I’m not sure why anyone would. Anything positive we get from him is a bonus. 

At OT, if they do manage to bring back Lucas, I’m pretty comfortable with the depth chart then. I do think though that there’s going to come a moment during the draft when they’re going to have to ask if they feel good enough about OT to pass on a guy like Cross or Penning who may be BPA at 11. But I would not be out there looking for an OT. 

I agree with your later comments. I could see them adding a guard through the draft or via FA, but I don’t see it being a high pick or an expensive guard. I could see them signing Trai Turner to compete w/ Wes S to be our starting RG. 

If we lose Lucas I agree we’ll sign or draft someone else but again I don’t think we’ll spend a lot there or draft an OL in round 1 or 2.

If we draft an OL, it seems like a 4th round guy or a cheaper FA like Trai Turner to compete w/ Wes S.

1 hour ago, lavar703 said:

If we were big players in FA & our starting QB was going to be Heinicke again, a rookie, a FA like Bridgewater, Mariotta, Tyrod or Trubisky then it wasn’t going to make a huge difference in our record either. 

I think regardless if we had traded for Wentz, Jimmy G or signed one of those FAs that our record was likely to be 7 to 10 wins at best. 

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

Which ones? Finlay, Keim have been quiet. 

I can't read Standig but he thinks we take care of in house stuff and fill with 2nd tier. 

I agree with Standing. He & Keim say similar things. I think we’ll re-sign our own guys to the extent we can and sign a 2nd tier ILB, slot CB, OG like Trai Turner and maybe a FA WR like James Washington from Pitt to compete to be our #3 WR w/ Terri & Samuel being our top 2 WRs. Then, we may draft a WR early too if they’re the BPA even we pick at 11.

Edited by turtle28

1 hour ago, aceinthehouse said:

Well, lavar.

If we're not big players, or at least active to get Wentz some weapons?

Then I want Rivera's resignation on my desk in the morning.

Because trading for Wentz & stopping there isn't just stupid. 

It's negligent.

It’s not that we don’t want to be, it’s that we likely aren’t going to have the cap space to spend big in FA. If we extend Terry, that’ll take up cap space, as will re-signing our own guys & I think we need about $7 million to sign our draft picks.

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

If we were big players in FA & our starting QB was going to be Heinicke again, a rookie, a FA like Bridgewater, Mariotta, Tyrod or Trubisky then it wasn’t going to make a huge difference in our record either. 

I think regardless if we had traded for Wentz, Jimmy G or signed one of those FAs that our record was likely to be 7 to 10 wins at best. 

Wentz had a better team and an easier schedule. His team won 9 games compared to our 7.