2022 Draft Talk

swede700

2 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

Hearing Kevin O’Connell talk about the QB position, most notably in regards to what’s most important, and why he failed in the NFL, he consistently talks about the importance of accuracy. 

If accuracy is at the top, or near the top, of desired attributes for a QB in O’Connell’s mind, Kellen Mond has an uphill battle to win over the new coach. 

Accuracy is one of Cousins strengths. 

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Accuracy is one of Cousins strengths. 

Which is why I don’t think O’Connell’s comments or Kwesi’s comments regarding Cousins are simply smoke trying to drive up interest. I believe that they genuinely want Cousins as their QB. For 2022, at the very least. 

But, like everything, there’s a price threshold. If a team comes and makes an offer that’s too good to pass up, they’ll move him and go on to a different plan. 

If I had to guess, I would guess that the Vikings and Cousins will eventually agree to a 3 year extension with a couple of void years added to help minimize that cap hits in future years. But, if the two sides can’t come to an agreement on an extension, I’d expect to see both sides agree to a restructure that adds a void year for 2023. That would allow the Vikings to spread the cap hit out, while allowing Cousins to test the open market in 2023.

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Which is why I don’t think O’Connell’s comments or Kwesi’s comments regarding Cousins are simply smoke trying to drive up interest. I believe that they genuinely want Cousins as their QB. For 2022, at the very least. 

But, like everything, there’s a price threshold. If a team comes and makes an offer that’s too good to pass up, they’ll move him and go on to a different plan. 

If I had to guess, I would guess that the Vikings and Cousins will eventually agree to a 3 year extension with a couple of void years added to help minimize that cap hits in future years. But, if the two sides can’t come to an agreement on an extension, I’d expect to see both sides agree to a restructure that adds a void year for 2023. That would allow the Vikings to spread the cap hit out, while allowing Cousins to test the open market in 2023.

I agree. Cousins isn’t going anywhere. Think he’s locked in for two years minimum, which means we better draft a QB early within the next two drafts.

Kirk Cousins traded to the Steelers for the 20th overall pick 3 round mock draft.

From what I've been reading KOC & KAM are looking to reset the roster and get away from all the bloated contracts including Kirks monster contract so that they can fully rebuild the roster their way.

1.13 Garret Wilson WR Ohio State

1.20 Desmond Ridder QB Cincinnati

2.44 Lewis Cine S Georgia

3.75 Josh Pascal EDGE Kentucky

Wilson will allow the KOC 3 WR heavy offense to thrive. Wilson or Thielen will feast against CB3s

Trading Cousins and drafting Ridder gives KAM & KOC "Their guy" while also letting us redistribute Kirks salary to fixing the defense in FA. 

Cine & Pascal add depth and explosiveness to the defense - neither will be an immediate starter but will be valuable rotational pieces in their rookie years.

This was done using the PFF mock draft simulator.

Edited by viking

10 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Ridder is my #2 QB behind Pickett, so I can get behind that.

Taking a WR that early seems pointless unless we're giving up on Osborn, who was a great #3 last year.

In this draft scenario Stingley, Gardner & the top edge guys were gone.

Wilson is a superstar and would be a big step for the Vikings to have a dominant offense and also future proofs us for when Thielen ages out. The Vikings have been really lucky when it comes to the WR position and I seriously doubt KAM is going to rely on luck to have a top tier set of pass catchers.

KJ Osbourne put up 655 yards last year 13 games as WR3 and 4 games WR2 when Thielen was injured. That's 38 yards a game so hardly great but a nice surprise for a 5th rounder.

If JJ happened to get injured the offense would grind to a halt... Thielen and Osbourne as WR1&2 would be scary (scary bad)

Edited by viking

1 hour ago, viking said:

In this draft scenario Stingley, Gardner & the top edge guys were gone.

Wilson is a superstar and would be a big step for the Vikings to have a dominant offense and also future proofs us for when Thielen ages out. The Vikings have been really lucky when it comes to the WR position and I seriously doubt KAM is going to rely on luck to have a top tier set of pass catchers.

KJ Osbourne put up 655 yards last year 13 games as WR3 and 4 games WR2 when Thielen was injured. That's 38 yards a game so hardly great but a nice surprise for a 5th rounder.

If JJ happened to get injured the offense would grind to a halt... Thielen and Osbourne as WR1&2 would be scary (scary bad)

I just don't see how an analytics guy sees a WR being the position that'll get us back into playoff contention. It's a deep class. We're better off waiting until round 3 or 4 to get that WR, or wait until next season.

It would suck to waste the pick on a WR just for someone already on the roster like Osborn or ISM to step up and take over as the #2. I'd like to not repeat the 2016 season.

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

I just don't see how an analytics guy sees a WR being the position that'll get us back into playoff contention. It's a deep class. We're better off waiting until round 3 or 4 to get that WR, or wait until next season.

It would suck to waste the pick on a WR just for someone already on the roster like Osborn or ISM to step up and take over as the #2. I'd like to not repeat the 2016 season.

Players that effect he pass game are highly valuable - that's why we went WR and QB in round 1. Did you watch the NFL last year? Bengals draft Chase which puts their pass game onto a dominating level and they make the SuperBowl. Rams add OBJ to an already great recieving duo and win a ring

Why would we not think that having a dominating recieving group would get us back into playoff contention?

I assume you mean the 2016 draft, did you not want a repeat of 2016 when we drafted JJ in 2020? You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

you can't just have 1 elite/great receiver anymore you need 2 or ideally 3. Osborn & ISM don't scare anybody until proven otherwise they are just roster filler right now. 

Edited by viking

32 minutes ago, viking said:

Players that effect he pass game are highly valuable - that's why we went WR and QB in round 1. Did you watch the NFL last year? Bengals draft Chase which puts their pass game onto a dominating level and they make the SuperBowl. Rams add OBJ to an already great recieving duo and win a ring

Why would we not think that having a dominating recieving group would get us back into playoff contention?

I assume you mean the 2016 draft, did you not want a repeat of 2016 when we drafted JJ in 2020? You miss 100% of the shots you don't take.

you can't just have 1 elite/great receiver anymore you need 2 or ideally 3. Osborn & ISM don't scare anybody until proven otherwise they are just roster filler right now. 

Its just not as valuable a position as you think it is. OL, DL, QB, and EDGE rushers (which isn't necessarily part of the DL) will always be more valuable than a WR.

If you're picking later in the first round, like we were at the time we took Jefferson, then that's probably fine. We have a top 15 pick though. We can't really afford a luxury pick.

Also, I think had Cincinnati taken Sewell over Chase, they'd probably would've had a better chance at winning the Superbowl. Plus, Chase already had chemistry with his QB. Its unlikely to find that with most other receivers coming into the NFL. The Rams didn't give up significant assets to acquire Beckham Jr.

I'm not against 1st round receivers, I just prefer them to be late first rounders.

Edited by SteelKing728

8 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

I mean, they would have never gotten to the superbowl without Chase, so.....

Maybe. I doubt it, but maybe.

I could see if we were talking about Madden, or if the team was more interested in selling jerseys or looking flashy why you take a luxury player over one that can help you win games.

I'm going to assume that KAM is smarter than that though. I guess we'll just find out.

14 minutes ago, SteelKing728 said:

Maybe. I doubt it, but maybe.

I could see if we were talking about Madden, or if the team was more interested in selling jerseys or looking flashy why you take a luxury player over one that can help you win games.

I'm going to assume that KAM is smarter than that though. I guess we'll just find out.

I dont think you are fully understanding how great Chase's rookie season was compared to...a right tackle that had a 77 PFF grade on the season. 77 is very good! But it's not a needle mover when your offensive line is essentially as good as it's worst player. 

Edited by battle2heaven

Just now, battle2heaven said:

I dont think you are fully understanding how great Chase's rookie season was compared to...a right tackle that had a 88 PFF grade on the season. 77 is very good! But it's not a needle mover when your offensive line is essentially as good as it's worst player. 

Im not dismissing Chase as a player, I'm dismissing his value as a top 5 pick. No WR is worth that. Not Chase, Moss, Rice, Johnson, Owens etc.

1 hour ago, viking said:

Eventually we’ve got to field a defense that isn’t a complete disaster. Jefferson, Thielen and Osborn is a perfectly capable trio, certainly wouldn’t move Thielen just to create a gaping hole. I’m all for grabbing a day 2 or 3 WR, just seems the Vikes need to figure out the defense, mostly at edge, DT and CB.

• Like 2