2022 Draft Talk

swede700

Should the top quarterback prospects begin sliding down the board, several surprise franchises may begin considering drafting a quarterback of their own.

MINNESOTA VIKINGS

New regimes often mean a new plan for the future, particularly at quarterback. Starting signal-caller Kirk Cousins was initially acquired by the franchise's previous decision-makers and will turn 34 years of age before the 2022 campaign officially begins...Should Adofo-Mensah and O'Connell identify a potential franchise quarterback in the 2022 class, things could get interesting when they come on the clock with the 12th overall selection.

https://thedraftnetwork.com/articles/nfl-draft-2022-titans-colts-vikings-qbs

On 4/13/2022 at 10:56 AM, MikeT14 said:

Hey guys, I got Minnesota again for the annual FF Total Control Mock Draft. Here's how things have unfolded so far:

Round 1: I was pretty much all in on hoping Stingley would fall to me, but was not going to use any ammo to move up. Sure enough he went before our pick. I started getting feelers out there to see what I could do to move down a little since I had a tier 2 of three guys I liked and figured I'd easily scoop 1. So I made a trade to start: I sent 1.12 and 5.156 to the Eagles for 1.15, 3.83 and a 2023 7th rounder. This way I could get back into the 3rd round to get a handful of guys I was targeting in that area for this team. At 1.15 I ended up taking Trent McDuffie over Booth Jr and Olave. I know many of you are a little down on Trent, so hopefully getting back into the 3rd will help that some. 

Round 2: I sent some feelers out there to move back up into the 2nd as some talent fell, but ultimately I wasn't happy with how I would have to get there, so I held in place. The Patriots came knocking when my pick was coming up and I still had a good handful of targets available, so I looked to move down from 2.46. Ultimately I traded 2.46 for 2.54, 6.200 and a 2023 4th rounder. I was pleased with this haul. It might have been a mistake for my targets as I started losing guys. The Pats took one in Drake Jackson, and then the Commanders took Tyler Smith. I was then going to select Jalen Pitre, but he went 2 picks before. So I was going to end up doing something crazy that you all probably would have hated, but it was a fun try. I was going to take Desmond Ridder and ship Kellen Mond out. The Steelers took Ridder right before me. So I ended up getting a guy I still liked, but was down my list of targets - DeMarvin Leal, DL. I don't think he ever lived up to his hype in college, but I hope NFL coaching (and a commitment to a position) will mold him well for the depth needed on the line. 

Round 3: Here is where I can now double up on depth that can contribute right away. There was a run on TEs, but I ultimately selected Cade Otton at 3.77 over Ruckert and Jelani Woods. I really like Otton's presence as a complement TE to this offense. With my second 3rd rounder, I selected Cole Strange, OG/C with the other pick. I was going to select Kerby Joseph, S but the Packers just took him immediately before me. Still, very happy with Strange. He should excel in your system, be great depth, and could possibly be the center of the future. 

1.15 Trey McDuffie, CB
2.54 DeMarvin Leal, DL
3.77 Cade Otton, TE
3.83  Cole Strange, OG/C (trade with Eagles)
extra 2023 4th rounder (trade with Pats) and 7th rounder (trade with Eagles)
lost 2022 5th rounder (trade with Eagles)

Update as I've gotten through 3 of the 4 6th rounders, with one more to go plus a late 7th. I tried desperately to trade up multiple times for talented guys that we're falling, including Verone McKinley III (S), Josh Jobe (CB), and Tyquan Thorton (WR), but no one would bite. Eventually, I stood pat and took some depth for you all. After your suggestions, I got a OT that I thought fit the mold of what you might eventually need in a swing tackle that could develop. Open to hearing late guys or depth you still wanna see with two remaining picks. 

1.15 Trey McDuffie, CB
2.54 DeMarvin Leal, DL
3.77 Cade Otton, TE
6.184 Mike Rose, LB
6.191 Obinna Eze, OT
6.192 Delarrin Turner-Yell, S

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

I think it’s pretty obvious from the Cousins extension and the other moves that they have made this offseason, that QB is not in their plans for 2022. 

Yep. And I know I sound like a broken record, but I don’t think any of these QBs will even reach Kirk’s level in their careers. 

6 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

“Rumors” like that make me think of this. 

I love that movie for one, and two that would be crazy awesome if Kyle Hamilton fell that far.  No clue how that would happen but would love him as a Viking, he has great range and his length is a big time problem in coverage with his outstanding ball skills.  I think he could play FS or SS for the Vikings and sure CB is the bigger need but could never pass on a prospect like Kyle Hamilton.  

5 hours ago, MikeT14 said:

Update as I've gotten through 3 of the 4 6th rounders, with one more to go plus a late 7th. I tried desperately to trade up multiple times for talented guys that we're falling, including Verone McKinley III (S), Josh Jobe (CB), and Tyquan Thorton (WR), but no one would bite. Eventually, I stood pat and took some depth for you all. After your suggestions, I got a OT that I thought fit the mold of what you might eventually need in a swing tackle that could develop. Open to hearing late guys or depth you still wanna see with two remaining picks. 

1.15 Trey McDuffie, CB
2.54 DeMarvin Leal, DL
3.77 Cade Otton, TE
6.184 Mike Rose, LB
6.191 Obinna Eze, OT
6.192 Delarrin Turner-Yell, S

Eze I have as a much higher pick so I would not mind him at all.  He is a little bit of a project but is a steal in the 6th.  Turner-Yell I was never a huge fan of him but position wise it could be a need.  Mike Rose I like and he has great coverage skills as a ILB, would be a good pickup and great backup ILB developmental guy.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, swede700 said:

4-5 top of the draft talents?  Only Bryce Young and CJ Stroud would be top of the draft guys like top 4 pick type guys.  

DJ Uiagalelei unless he has a great year is more mid 1st round or late 1st round talent, he processes slow and his release is pretty slow.  Sure that could change and he could go high but right now not sure he would after an pretty up and down year.  Brennan Armstrong I have mid to late 1st round, and same with Spencer Rattler assuming he has a good year even.  Then Phil Jurkovec and Bo Nix early 2nd round as of now.

But yeah compared to this years class, 2023 is much better.  

16 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I love that movie for one, and two that would be crazy awesome if Kyle Hamilton fell that far.  No clue how that would happen but would love him as a Viking, he has great range and his length is a big time problem in coverage with his outstanding ball skills.  I think he could play FS or SS for the Vikings and sure CB is the bigger need but could never pass on a prospect like Kyle Hamilton.  

Eze I have as a much higher pick so I would not mind him at all.  He is a little bit of a project but is a steal in the 6th.  Turner-Yell I was never a huge fan of him but position wise it could be a need.  Mike Rose I like and he has great coverage skills as a ILB, would be a good pickup and great backup ILB developmental guy.  

Honestly, kinda same. He was lower on my list, but higher on other people's rankings. I felt like I really wanted to add some S depth at some point and I was truly running out of good options. For a 6th round flyer that some people like, I figured it was worth the shot. 

27 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Agreed on both counts 😊

8 minutes ago, battle2heaven said:

Yes, that is the biggest outlier for McDuffie and also when comparing to Jaire Alexander.

Trust me, it worries me a lot too. 

If they think a slot CB is worth #12, I’m not totally against it (since nickel packages are a huge part of the game), but I think we could land a slot in the 2nd and draft a less questionable prospect in the first round. But I’m also just an aging chubby dude with freakishly long arms pounding away on my cell phone keyboard 😂😂