Oakland A's to start looking into relocating

NYRaider

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/31427293/oakland-athletics-start-looking-relocating-elsewhere-sources-say

The Oakland Athletics will start exploring the possibility of relocating with the blessing of Major League Baseball, a move that could put pressure on local government officials to greenlight a new stadium project that has spent years in limbo, sources familiar with the situation told ESPN.

The A's, who have played in Oakland since 1968, have prioritized building a waterfront stadium in downtown Oakland at the Howard Terminal site. But after years of failed stadium plans -- and weeks after the organization asked for the city council to vote on the $12 billion mixed-use development before its late-July summer recess -- the long-anticipated specter of the A's looking into relocation on Tuesday became a reality.

I would not be surprised at all. Oakland has a very corrupt city council, always trying to have their cake and eat it too type mentality, basically offering no help and trying to share in the rewards and profits. They have already lost two sports franchises, and I already said I would not be surprised in any way if they lost the A's. 

Just like no one blamed the Raiders, no one should blame the A's. They have done an AMAZING job trying to get a stadium in Oakland, and have tried super hard. Their efforts have been outstanding. 

I do hope they can work it out. I think a waterfront park in Oakland is the best move for all parties involved: A's, City of Oakland, and fans. I'd prefer they stay there even though I just ragged on Oakland, I just don't see it happening. 

If they do move, Las Vegas and Portland both provide intriguing options. As the Raiders and Warriors did, I hope the A's stay on the west coast. I would hate if the team moved to the East Coast, or even worse, Canada. I still want to be able to attend multiple games a year. 

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I would not be surprised at all. Oakland has a very corrupt city council, always trying to have their cake and eat it too type mentality, basically offering no help and trying to share in the rewards and profits. They have already lost two sports franchises, and I already said I would not be surprised in any way if they lost the A's. 

Just like no one blamed the Raiders, no one should blame the A's. They have done an AMAZING job trying to get a stadium in Oakland, and have tried super hard. Their efforts have been outstanding. 

I do hope they can work it out. I think a waterfront park in Oakland is the best move for all parties involved: A's, City of Oakland, and fans. I'd prefer they stay there even though I just ragged on Oakland, I just don't see it happening. 

If they do move, Las Vegas and Portland both provide intriguing options. As the Raiders and Warriors did, I hope the A's stay on the west coast. I would hate if the team moved to the East Coast, or even worse, Canada. I still want to be able to attend multiple games a year. 

Charlotte is itching for a major league club but I think that'll end up being the Rays if they don't land in Montreal (which I wouldn't really expect).

12 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Las Vegas would be amazing, the last time I was there for work they said they already have a site for an MLB stadium. 

1 minute ago, NYRaider said:

Las Vegas would be amazing, the last time I was there for work they said they already have a site for an MLB stadium. 

The A’s Triple A team, the Aviators are already in Vegas. Would be pretty strange to see a club’s Triple A team in the same city as them. 

I’d be totally fine with Las Vegas or Portland. Portland is probably slightly better for a Baseball team for weather reasons, Vegas gets those 105 degree days during Summer. 

I was thinking Salt Lake City, Utah, and Boise, Idaho as well but I think SLC elevation is too high for MLB, or so I’ve read. And Boise, ID might be too small of a market for a major sports franchise.

17 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I’d be totally fine with Las Vegas or Portland. Portland is probably slightly better for a Baseball team for weather reasons, Vegas gets those 105 degree days during Summer.

Dome in Vegas would be amazing, imo. 

10 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Dome in Vegas would be amazing, imo. 

Not a fan of Baseball Domes. I really feel one of the huge aspects of Baseball is the beautiful outdoor stadiums. I do understand football is trending that way, but I think Baseball will always be a sport you watch in the sun, with "unique" ballparks always being a drawing factor. 

5 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Not a fan of Baseball Domes. I really feel one of the huge aspects of Baseball is the beautiful outdoor stadiums. I do understand football is trending that way, but I think Baseball will always be a sport you watch in the sun, with "unique" ballparks always being a drawing factor. 

Retractable roofs >>>>>>>>

• Like 2

Just now, beekay414 said:

Retractable roofs >>>>>>>>

Retractable roofs are fine. True Baseball Domes are horrendous though. Tropicana Field I have always found by far the ugliest stadium in the MLB. 

Although a retractable roof in Vegas doesn't do much good. You aren't opening that puppy June-September lol. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Retractable roofs are fine. True Baseball Domes are horrendous though. Tropicana Field I have always found by far the ugliest stadium in the MLB. 

Although a retractable roof in Vegas doesn't do much good. You aren't opening that puppy June-September lol. 

More for your Portland recommendation. They'd 100% need, at least, a retractable roof for the April-May games lol.