2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

I feel like I’m in the opposite position of a lot of you as to what our biggest needs are. I think there was a lot of games last season where our pass rush was getting after it. Getting Lawson back should help that even more and like I said I’d like to see huff come back healthy and get some reps I liked what I saw out of him. The secondary was just terrible and needs to be addressed and were probably gonna need a run stuffing d tackle on early downs. Our wrs IF healthy are honestly probably slightly below average. In all honesty though I think they’re better than a handful of teams out there. Think about the fact that our rookie qb got sacked 44 times in 13 games. Tomlinson is a big upgrade and if becton gets his head out of his *** that will help but if we can grab that center Linderbaum out of Iowa that would be HUGE long term. We can roll with berrios Davis and Moore out wide and get Zach another weapon in the early 2nd that can work into the mix as well. I definitely don’t wanna see mims touch the field ever again.

So Whitehead being so young and Joyner older… makes the draft interesting. And I think it eliminates S for us in the 1st 2 Rounds. And here’s why.

Whitehead will lineup as our FS and Joyner as our SS.

Who are the top 2 Ss in this class? Hamilton is clearly the #1 and is a FS. That ballhawk fly around the field type guy. Then it’s Daxton Hill. Who has a similar game to Hamilton, just not as lengthy.

The next best S is Brisker. This is the only guy in the top 40 that can be considered for us at S. While he’s still best suited as a FS, he can play SS. We just have to think about how smart it would be to draft a backup in the top 40 when we need starters in areas. Yes Joyner is probably gone after this year, so he’d be a starter in year 2, but we could use actual starters in several area still.

I wouldn’t hate the idea of Brisker top 40, I’d actually like it. But just think we need to probably think more of that SS type if we’re drafting a S this year.

Its a deep S class, so we can still get good talent to develop in those mid rounds.

6 hours ago, Greene N White said:

I feel like I’m in the opposite position of a lot of you as to what our biggest needs are. I think there was a lot of games last season where our pass rush was getting after it. Getting Lawson back should help that even more and like I said I’d like to see huff come back healthy and get some reps I liked what I saw out of him. The secondary was just terrible and needs to be addressed and were probably gonna need a run stuffing d tackle on early downs. Our wrs IF healthy are honestly probably slightly below average. In all honesty though I think they’re better than a handful of teams out there. Think about the fact that our rookie qb got sacked 44 times in 13 games. Tomlinson is a big upgrade and if becton gets his head out of his *** that will help but if we can grab that center Linderbaum out of Iowa that would be HUGE long term. We can roll with berrios Davis and Moore out wide and get Zach another weapon in the early 2nd that can work into the mix as well. I definitely don’t wanna see mims touch the field ever again.

I just don't like Davis, Linderbaum or Sauce taken by Jets in 1st but they still aren't wrong for Jets.

Becton and Mims have to show their passion and readiness to play football for Saleh. It is up to JD to recognize the potential issue in near future for them.   Address those positions in case or not.

38 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

So Whitehead being so young and Joyner older… makes the draft interesting. And I think it eliminates S for us in the 1st 2 Rounds. And here’s why.

Who are the top 2 Ss in this class? Hamilton is clearly the #1 and is a FS. That ballhawk fly around the field type guy. Then it’s Daxton Hill. Who has a similar game to Hamilton, just not as lengthy.

The next best S is Brisker. This is the only guy in the top 40 that can be considered for us at S. While he’s still best suited as a FS, he can play SS. We just have to think about how smart it would be to draft a backup in the top 40 when we need starters in areas. Yes Joyner is probably gone after this year, so he’d be a starter in year 2, but we could use actual starters in several area still.

I wouldn’t hate the idea of Brisker top 40, I’d actually like it. But just think we need to probably think more of that SS type if we’re drafting a S this year.

Its a deep S class, so we can still get good talent to develop in those mid rounds.

The good thing is we don't HAVE to take a few positions and it gives us flexibility.  While I don't love Joyner and Whitehead alone, I'd be okay with Davis, Pinnock and hopefully a late round ball hawk to hopefully win a future starting job.  But if Brisker or Hill are there in the 2nd I think they would be great picks.  If they are gone then no need to take a Safety just to take a Safety.

43 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Whitehead at SS with Joyner at FA.  If Joyner hurts again, Whitehead may move to FS due to NFL experience.

Kerby Joseph, whom the Jets coached in Mobile, can be our FS of the future right there. However, he gains more recognization from teams so his draft project will be tricky.   Taking Hamilton is the safest method to ensure S plan.

• Like 3

Just now, JetsandI said:

Whitehead at SS with Joyner at FA.  If Joyner hurts again, Whitehead may move to FS due to NFL experience.

Kerby Joseph, whom the Jets coached in Mobile, can be our FS of the future right there. However, he gains more recognization from teams so his draft project will be tricky.   Taking Hamilton is the safest method to ensure S plan.

Whitehead is best served at FS and Joyner at SS.

Now that I can see DT being a need, I think Otito Ogbonnia would be a great pick for us.  Saw him in Mobile and he's a developmental NT.  Don't have to spend a high pick on him or worry about getting him into the lineup.  Different skillset than Jonathan Marshall.  Has the name of a 5th-7th round pick at DT we would take and develop.

Marshall the explosive penetrator.  Ogbonnia the stout run defender.  Q would be able to do it all with them, JFM, Lawson and another rookie pass rusher.  Now we have more potential than last year when every one was sucking the ***** of the Jets DL.

1 minute ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Now that I can see DT being a need, I think Otito Ogbonnia would be a great pick for us.  Saw him in Mobile and he's a developmental NT.  Don't have to spend a high pick on him or worry about getting him into the lineup.  Different skillset than Jonathan Marshall.  Has the name of a 5th-7th round pick at DT we would take and develop.

Marshall the explosive penetrator.  Ogbonnia the stout run defender.  Q would be able to do it all with them, JFM, Lawson and another rookie pass rusher.  Now we have more potential than last year when every one was sucking the ***** of the Jets DL.

Jets are looking for 3 tech DT.  Fans and media are calling for run stuffer.    Who is right? lol

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

Jets are looking for 3 tech DT.  Fans and media are calling for run stuffer.    Who is right? lol

I'm bad with tech positions.  What would Q, Marshall, Shepherd and each rookie be considered?  I think OO would compliment them well and bring something different.  Along with passing the name test of being a late round stout run defender that no one has ever heard of until he hits FA and gets a solid contract.

12 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Maybe.  Saleh planned to use Joyner at FS last year but he got out of season injury.  It could be tried again this year.  

That’s bc Maye and Joyner were more interchangeable. Whitehead is more a pure FS and Joyner is more a natural SS. So play them to their strengths. Joyner is a low key great player for us. He graded out bad in LV bc they didn’t use him right. We will use him more how he was used in LA. His injury was upper body, so we shouldn’t think he’s lost a step. If anything he’ll be hungry after not playing for a year and not able to play “his game” for several years now.

Theres no weakness right now in our secondary. Which is great. We have depth at CB and at FS too. We can focus on the front 7 now via draft and weapons for Wilson.

27 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

I'm bad with tech positions.  What would Q, Marshall, Shepherd and each rookie be considered?  I think OO would compliment them well and bring something different.  Along with passing the name test of being a late round stout run defender that no one has ever heard of until he hits FA and gets a solid contract.

All names are 3 tech I believe.  Understanding the defense system is an issue at run game I think.

I still believe Jets should address at run stuffing DT because we don't guarantee system will work all the way. If it doesn't work then use big body. 

Edited by JetsandI

9 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That’s bc Maye and Joyner were more interchangeable. Whitehead is more a pure FS and Joyner is more a natural SS. So play them to their strengths. Joyner is a low key great player for us. He graded out bad in LV bc they didn’t use him right. We will use him more how he was used in LA. His injury was upper body, so we shouldn’t think he’s lost a step. If anything he’ll be hungry after not playing for a year and not able to play “his game” for several years now.

Theres no weakness right now in our secondary. Which is great. We have depth at CB and at FS too. We can focus on the front 7 now via draft and weapons for Wilson.

I heard differently.  Whitehead is SS

This article may be helpful about Whitehead's suitable role for Jets.

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/why_jordan_whitehead_is_best_fit_at_strong_safety_for_new_york_jets/s1_16703_37295094