2024-25 College Football & Draft Talk

rickyt31

52 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

Nah.  Been there, done that.

Well, yes and no. We have drafted a QB early and started them immediately when it was clear they needed time to sit behind a veteran.

What we have not tried is drafting our future QB when our present QB is already on the team. That should be the course of action. 

I want Rodgers back healthy, playing for us for as long as he wants. But at age 40, we would be crazy to not have his heir apparent already on the roster. We really should try going the Packers route. They ruffled Rodgers' feathers when they drafted Jordan Love, and even Brett Favre was not crazy about the team drafting Rodgers 20 years ago. But it panned out beautifully with Rodgers and I think it might just work out with Love, too.

I seriously doubt Rodgers would have an issue with us drafting his successor in 2024. As long as everybody understands the situation (i.e. Rodgers is the QB as long as he wants to continue playing football, and the new guy sits, learns and waits), this should be the way to go.

Oh, and unlike 2023, bring in a GOOD backup in between Rodgers and the draftee. That is the QB room we need moving forward.

First, we need a new regime.

P.S. we could have done it in 2023 too, if Douglas and Saleh were not so stubborn about their failed project. Our QB room this year could have easily been Rodgers, Teddy Bridgewater and Dorian Thompson-Robinson. Something like that.

• Like 2

Apparently Steeler fans are VERY happy with Keanu Benton and think he’s been a beast both stopping the run and rushing the passer. One of my favorite prospects for the Jets last year. 
 And I’m reading the forum favorite Ivan Pace has made an impact as well. 

Edited by jetsfan4life51
  • Like 1

If we are going all in again on Rodgers next season, what are everyone’s thoughts on drafting someone like Egbuka? Ohio State has been a factory and we could expect an immediate impact. 

Do we take that gamble on Becton and AVT? Does Mitchell take RT and AVT go back to LG? We would only have to plug in a RG and have a solid line. If Becton wins the LT job that would be very helpful. 

3 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

If we are going all in again on Rodgers next season, what are everyone’s thoughts on drafting someone like Egbuka? Ohio State has been a factory and we could expect an immediate impact. 

Do we take that gamble on Becton and AVT? Does Mitchell take RT and AVT go back to LG? We would only have to plug in a RG and have a solid line. If Becton wins the LT job that would be very helpful. 

It really depends on how FA playout. I think we're going to try to use free agency to repair the oline because we don't have time for rookies to struggle or figure things out. So I do think there will be room to draft a WR. 

1 hour ago, rickyt31 said:

It really depends on how FA playout. I think we're going to try to use free agency to repair the oline because we don't have time for rookies to struggle or figure things out. So I do think there will be room to draft a WR. 

Same thoughts. I can’t see us relying on a rookie or taking developmental guys again. Maybe an OG Day 3. 

58 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Same thoughts. I can’t see us relying on a rookie or taking developmental guys again. Maybe an OG Day 3. 

Yeah, because everyone will have 1 shot. The only other factor is if an interesting QB falls to us. The crazy part is that I don't think we need a WR, the problem is Wilson and Hackett not giving Hardman enough snaps but I know we're going to go BPA no matter what. 

45 minutes ago, rickyt31 said:

Yeah, because everyone will have 1 shot. The only other factor is if an interesting QB falls to us. The crazy part is that I don't think we need a WR, the problem is Wilson and Hackett not giving Hardman enough snaps but I know we're going to go BPA no matter what. 

Well if Saleh and JD are playing for their jobs, getting another WR to help out Rodgers is more likely than a QB who is sitting for a year. 

2 hours ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Well if Saleh and JD are playing for their jobs, getting another WR to help out Rodgers is more likely than a QB who is sitting for a year. 

I can't argue with that. 

It depends on a lot for me. I hope we can find a way to acquire more picks between 2-4. I really like the QB class depth. Cam Ward might be my favorite QB right now, but Penix, Nix, Milton, Travis, Uiagalelei, and a couple of others have good potential sitting behind Rodgers. 

For WRs, it's Egbuka, Odnze, and Coleman.